BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-29-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
Shooto82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1m

Sway bars

Any brand recommendations for sway bars. I'm running kw v3 ?
The purpose is to improve my track timing
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooto82 View Post
Everyone seems to focus on the front bar, but the car is already pretty flat and can sometimes understeer. I would start with an adjustable rear bar and start softer setting. While this might seem counterintuitive, I think the rear bar is too stiff and the car needs more rear traction. I remember reading about Dinan's sway bars and they actually softened them too. I also read from one of the engineers that worked on 1M and M2 and in retrospect, he felt they might have gone too stiff with the 1M. So while stiffer is usually better for track, it might not be in this case. m3Kerry tracks his car as does m3adjuster. They might be able to provide you with better insights too.

the thing with your new coilovers is that the whole thing is a unit. compression, dampening settings plus sway bars and a myriad of combinations. Your shock settings can make a big impact, so I would start there and as I said try slightly softer in the rear to try to keep it from polywagging all the time or stepping out.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
Shooto82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooto82 View Post
Everyone seems to focus on the front bar, but the car is already pretty flat and can sometimes understeer. I would start with an adjustable rear bar and start softer setting. While this might seem counterintuitive, I think the rear bar is too stiff and the car needs more rear traction. I remember reading about Dinan's sway bars and they actually softened them too. I also read from one of the engineers that worked on 1M and M2 and in retrospect, he felt they might have gone too stiff with the 1M. So while stiffer is usually better for track, it might not be in this case. m3Kerry tracks his car as does m3adjuster. They might be able to provide you with better insights too.

the thing with your new coilovers is that the whole thing is a unit. compression, dampening settings plus sway bars and a myriad of combinations. Your shock settings can make a big impact, so I would start there and as I said try slightly softer in the rear to try to keep it from polywagging all the time or stepping out.
Thanks for your input. I read somewhere who did comparison on track by upgrading the sway bar. The result was changing the front sway bar only is faster and better off then changing both front and rear.

As for the Coilovers setting I've done multiple changes and reached somewhere where I felt the car better on track and improved my timing.

Now just thinking to improve more on car dynamic by adding sway bar and see where I can cut car weight.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 05:05 PM   #4
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
There may be some options now, but when I was looking to do this I could not find any aftermarket suppliers who marketed a swaybar as being compatible with our car. The M3 convertible front sway bar from BMW is a direct bolt on and is quite a bit stiffer than ours. You can also do the rear, but keep in mind that changing the rear sway bar on this car requires dropping the rear subframe. That's either a very difficult DIY or a very expensive trip to the shop.

A stiffer front sway bar will increase grip at the rear. I put mine on at the same time that I changed my front camber with vorshlag camber plates, suspension otherwise remained stock. The camber change increased grip in the front while the swaybar helped increase grip at the back and I dialed in my alignment from there. When I eventually replaced the stock suspension with coil overs, the overall balance remained the same. I can make very subtle changes depending on the damper settings and tire pressures. M

My car is beautifully neutral at the limit running a square set up with -2.7° of camber and 0 toe in the front and -2.2° of camber and minimum spec toe in the rear. On the street, it would probably understeer because I run the stock staggered tire sizes but I prefer that slight margin of safety on the street anyway.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
ayao627.50