BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-24-2021, 07:12 AM   #1
angler
love to fish!
Rep
Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt

Need Help On Tire Size

I have a 2013 Msport 135i convertible. I have 225-40-18 tires on the front and 255-35-18 on the rears. I would like to go with 235 on the front and 265 on the rear. Can I do that with without having to do any mods to the car? I am running stock suspension. I did a search but it was hard for me to find a definitive answer. Many thanks,

Last edited by angler; 04-24-2021 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 04:01 PM   #2
PcarDefector
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT+PS+PE / X3 M40i Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler View Post
I have a 2013 Msport 135i convertible. I have 225-40-18 tires on the front and 255-35-18 on the rears. I would like to go with 235 on the front and 265 on the rear. Can I do that with without having to do any mods to the car? I am running stock suspension. I did a search but it was hard for me to find a definitive answer. Many thanks,
It's not worth the trouble IMHO.

If you are looking for better handling and better looks, it's easier to use spacers to move your wheels outward to fill the fender wells and gain a wider track; the downside is that you will increase unsprung weight but I think the results are worth the trade-offs.

I am using Turner MS 12mm spacers with stock tire sizes with BMW PSS which lowers the car about 0.5" from the Msport. I think 7-10mm is better suited to your tire sizing.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 05:36 PM   #3
angler
love to fish!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcarDefector View Post
It's not worth the trouble IMHO.

If you are looking for better handling and better looks, it's easier to use spacers to move your wheels outward to fill the fender wells and gain a wider track; the downside is that you will increase unsprung weight but I think the results are worth the trade-offs.

I am using Turner MS 12mm spacers with stock tire sizes with BMW PSS which lowers the car about 0.5" from the Msport. I think 7-10mm is better suited to your tire sizing.
Why I am asking is I have sportline 8s wheels on the car and the 225, 255 tires do not fill the wheel so I wanted to go wider to fill the wheels.
      04-25-2021, 07:03 PM   #4
PcarDefector
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Why I am asking is I have sportline 8s wheels on the car and the 225, 255 tires do not fill the wheel so I wanted to go wider to fill the wheels.
You need to provide your wheel widths and offsets. Info is usually casted on one of the inside of the wheel vanes. Let's hope you have the 18x8.5 et45 and 18x9.5 et45.

You can look to see what will fit your rims but you are on the edge of what will fit on the 1-series unless you make small mods to the fender lips or use spacers. You will have some small flexibility with 45mm offset.

Your tire sizes are the recommended width for your wheels if you refer to the following chart.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec....omCompare1=yes
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 08:44 PM   #5
angler
love to fish!
Rep

Quote:
You need to provide your wheel widths and offsets. Info is usually casted on one of the inside of the wheel vanes. Let's hope you have the 18x8.5 et45 and 18x9.5 et45.

You can look to see what will fit your rims but you are on the edge of what will fit on the 1-series unless you make small mods to the fender lips or use spacers. You will have some small flexibility with 45mm offset.

Your tire sizes are the recommended width for your wheels if you refer to the following chart.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec....omCompare1=yes
Thank you, The wheels are the specs that you mentioned above. I know the tires will fit the rims the question is will I have to roll the fender lips? Many thanks,
      04-26-2021, 10:25 AM   #6
angler
love to fish!
Rep

Quote:
You are pretty well hosed with your 235/265 setup and 45mm offset unless you want to make heavy modifications which would include rolling the fender lips and adding camber to pull the tops of the tire inboard.

My current setup is stock tire sizes (215/245) on stock rims with 12.5mm spacers which push the tires outward flush with the top of the fender well. My front lips are rolled for clearance.

By my calculations and using my setup as an example, your 235 front tires will stick out 0.80" and your 265 rears will stick out 1.25" further. See chart below.

Also here's a link to apex wheels with further information on wider wheel/tire fit.
https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide
Thanks for you input. So I just find my invoice and the wheels sizes are
Sportline 8s
18x8.5 x 45 front
18x9.5 x 62 rear
Speaking to the vender they say these are 1 series specific and I can run the 235x40x18 and the 265x35x18 back. Any thoughts if you think this is accurate? again I appreciate you taking the time to help!
      04-26-2021, 10:34 AM   #7
PcarDefector
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Sorry, I had an error caused by not updating the backspacing info. So I revised the entire post from last night.

Your may have to roll your fender lips and add camber to pull the tops of the tire inboard. The inside clearance is more of a concern, so you may need to play with small spacers to get the right clearance.

My current setup is stock tire sizes (215/245) on stock rims with 12.5mm spacers which push the tires outward flush with the top of the fender well. My front lips are rolled for clearance.

By my calculations and using my setup as an example:
- your 235 front tires will stick out 0.15" from mine so you should be fine
- your 265 rears will stick out 0.25" further but you may have clearance issues inside as the sidewall is 0.6" closer to the inside of the wheelwell . See chart below.

Also here's a link to apex wheels with further information on wider wheel/tire fit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 10:59 AM   #8
angler
love to fish!
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I had an error caused by not updating the backspacing info. So I revised the entire post from last night.

Your may have to roll your fender lips and add camber to pull the tops of the tire inboard. The inside clearance is more of a concern, so you may need to play with small spacers to get the right clearance.

By my calculations and using my setup as an example:
- your 235 front tires will stick out 0.15" from mine so you should be fine
- your 265 rears will stick out 0.25" further but you may have clearance issues inside as the sidewall is 0.6" closer to the inside of the wheelwell . See chart below.

Thanks, If I am reading this correctly you have the rears at 45 offset but the wheels I have are 62 offset Will that make a difference? Many thanks
      04-30-2021, 09:00 PM   #9
PcarDefector
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, If I am reading this correctly you have the rears at 45 offset but the wheels I have are 62 offset Will that make a difference? Many thanks
Stick with your current setup. 10mm of sectional width isn't going to make any different to the look of your car. If you want to fill the wheelwells. then I would just add spacers. If you look at my setup, I use 12.5mm spacers and the treads shift 1/2" outward for an aggressive look that lines up with the our edge of my 135i fenders.

Your wheel fitting shop that knows about BMWs should have some in stock that they can test fit.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 02:06 PM   #10
angler
love to fish!
Rep

Quote:
Stick with your current setup. 10mm of sectional width isn't going to make any different to the look of your car. If you want to fill the wheelwells. then I would just add spacers. If you look at my setup, I use 12.5mm spacers and the treads shift 1/2" outward for an aggressive look that lines up with the our edge of my 135i fenders.

Your wheel fitting shop that knows about BMWs should have some in stock that they can test fit.
Agreed, thanks for your input!!!