BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-08-2018, 05:17 PM   #1
packlueder
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i A/T, Cobb V3

Is any vacuum leak too much?

I recently did a fair amount of maintenance: water pump/thermostat, oil filter housing gasket, and accessory belt/tensioner/pulleys. Once I got the car all back together everything seemed fine. Drove it work and back, no problems. Then I tried to accelerate onto the freeway and my car goes into limp mode. Scan the code and it is a 30FF. The only vacuum line that I was close to were these ones with the red arrow.

In order to get them off the connectors I had to cut them. I then blew into them and clamped one end off and they seem to hold the pressure. If they are actually leaking it would have to be a small leak. Would that be enough of a leak to cause the car to go into limp mode or are these lines likely not the problem? The charge pipe and intercooler connections look good as far as I can tell. The car was working perfectly (minus the leaky oil gasket and water pump) before the maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 02:20 AM   #2
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Vacuum is different to pressure. Any leak can make a noticeable difference. Looks like you may have to smoke test that vacuum tree and see exactly where it is leaking from.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2018, 06:28 AM   #3
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep
Drives: 128i

Yes, any vacuum leak is enough to throw the system off. Unmetered air entering the crankcase will upset the calculations of the MAF as it enters the intake post-MAF via the PCV system. As noted, you need to perform a smoke test to locate the leak(s) and correct.