BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #23
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
Id love to get a manual, but when you had 3 left knee surgeries it's painful in rush hour traffic.
It's painful before the surgery as well. Funny, mine is healing nicely without the surgery from regular exercise, including skiing! At first, felt like there was a ball of fire in there and after week, just disappeared. Think it's the thigh muscle super strengthening u get from skiing.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #24
mke135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Cabrio

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I went from an STi (6MT) to a GTI (DCT) and now to a 135i 6MT.... So glad i went this route
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 11:13 PM   #25
Aries932
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT

I went from

auto acura legend (1 year) - auto 328i (1 year) - step auto 330ci (1 years) - manual M3 (4 years) - DCT 135i (current)

Honestly once you learn everything about a manual it gets crazy boring. You first get shifting down where you can smoothly shift and make the car feel like an automatic (this is a feat when you dont have anyone to teach you how to drive a manual). Then you start learning how to downshift and match the rev's with a heel to toe downshift. Then you decide to learn how to double clutch (even though it is really unneccessary due to modern day syncros)...the list honestly goes on...probably why i put on 70k miles on my M3 in a 4 year time period.

At that point I just got over it. I wanted something new. I like new technology and I love gadgets. So to me DCT was the obvious choice. Who knows though I have only had the DCT for a month...I might get bored of it...but I am sure my extremely long list of planned mods will keep up the excitement.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 12:20 AM   #26
outsider
The Show Goes On
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Lots of opinions in here.

MT by choice.... DCT may be faster but it just isn't as fun to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 12:30 AM   #27
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries932 View Post
I went from

auto acura legend (1 year) - auto 328i (1 year) - step auto 330ci (1 years) - manual M3 (4 years) - DCT 135i (current)

Honestly once you learn everything about a manual it gets crazy boring. You first get shifting down where you can smoothly shift and make the car feel like an automatic (this is a feat when you dont have anyone to teach you how to drive a manual). Then you start learning how to downshift and match the rev's with a heel to toe downshift. Then you decide to learn how to double clutch (even though it is really unneccessary due to modern day syncros)...the list honestly goes on...probably why i put on 70k miles on my M3 in a 4 year time period.

At that point I just got over it. I wanted something new. I like new technology and I love gadgets. So to me DCT was the obvious choice. Who knows though I have only had the DCT for a month...I might get bored of it...but I am sure my extremely long list of planned mods will keep up the excitement.

very interesting thanks for your input. most interesting post ITT
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #28
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

If you think all those MT possibilities get "boring" fast, imagine just pulling paddles with your finger tips lol ... I suppose boring would be an improvement for DCT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries932 View Post
I went from

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #29
RyanE92
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Also went from a 335i 6MT to a 135i DCT. Honestly, I think the DCT is a great transmission and am very happy with my choice. There are certainly times I miss the manual, but for most of my day to day driving I do not.
      03-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #30
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

I had the exact same experience with my '08 VW R32. I absolutely wanted it because of the DSG. It was a very good transmission, extremely fast, shifting at the right time, nothing to complain about but after 1 month I was feeling that I was missing something. I almost never used the paddle shifter since they were feeling so artificial compared to that nice visceral mechanical feel of a (good) shifter. I absolutely love the feel of the shifter of my 128i (but the throws are a tad too long, especially compared to my '07 MX5), so far enjoy it every day, despite Chicagoland commutes...

I am not a hater, I remain convinced that performance must be better in the real workd with the DCT and I enjoy the good automatic gearbox on my wife's Mazda CX9 when I drive it. It is just that despite all the qualities of a DCT transmission, there is still "something" about a good manual tranny that makes you smile...