BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-08-2020, 08:21 AM   #1
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
TLDR: they are good. Far better than I expected with my stiffer than stock coil overs. Smooth, not harsher than summer tires and the grip is pretty darn good. I'm coming from FF Indy 500 which were great and these so far feel similar but a bit "softer" in the corners.

Ive recently come to the conclusion that my thoughts of tracking my 135i have faded, and it's real true nature (for me at least) is that of a fantastic daily driver Grand Turing coupe (e82 GT Coupe?).

It was recently time for new tires. My commute to work is now a bit further at about 30-40 min & 20-30 miles depending on whether I take the scenic route.

Since I never bought a spare and don't want to get stranded on the road... I decided to look at runflats (again) to see if they have improved at all. I did a search on tire rack for the different tire sizes I might want - 225/255 or even 225/245. None of the Michelin zero pressure/RFT tires come in 18" sizes that I could use. That left the same OE "run craps" that came on the car (Bridgestone re050/Pirellis Pzero) or try the newer Bridgestone DriveGuard RFT.

The DriveGuard come in 18" 225/40 & 255/35 and are a classified as a Grand Touring All Season tire.

I got them put on last week. Driven only a couple hundred miles so far. Initial impressions are quite positive. Firm but don't really feel harsher than the Firestone Indy 500s I've been using over hard edge bumps & pot holes. In fact I think they feel smoother. Turn in and control is a little "softer" which was to be expected from an grand touring all season tire. Also keep in mind I have the Ohlins R&T suspension which is much stiffer than stock.

They handle pretty well and the grip is more than adequate for the way I drive. Smooth over bumps, stiff enough in the corners, and grip well enough when getting on it hooting the freeway. I don't drive at the limit these days anyway, and in FL we don't have curvy mountain roads Ha! For the stock suspension I think they'd be great if your looking for DD duty.

Here is a 2016 review from Tire Rack. I agree with their description and ratings.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/t...y.jsp?ttid=213

I'll try to remember to keep this thread updated over time...
      05-31-2021, 09:42 AM   #2
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
6 months later and I'm still really liking these tires. Great grip and the wear seems to be doing very well too. Still smooth and quiet. I'm not tracking, canyon carving or anything of the sort but they are great for my daily driving duties.