BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-09-2020, 03:09 AM   #1
ekkathewrekka
135i Enthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i MY2011 N55 Softtop

BMW E88 N55 135i suspension mods

Was thinking Bilstein B14s and Whiteline subframe inserts.

I can get the B14s shipped from the USA for $1500 compared to local prices of $2350.

What should I budget for an install of the B14s ?

Also is there another Coilover option I should consider ?

.......and one more thing

Lots of talk on the forums about M3 front sway bar and M3 front control arms as an upgrade. Struggling with a decision on this one as I wont be tracking the car just spirited street driving. Thoughts ?

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 02:58 AM   #2
ekkathewrekka
135i Enthusiast
Australia
Rep

Pedders quoted me $680
For the coil overs and $290 for the inserts
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

$290 for the inserts is a bargain. I have been been quoted in the thousands, which is why I did it myself.

Changing the shocks (I had to take them out to change bump stops) I found to be easier than the inserts. No idea about pricing.

I've got the control arms, didn't bother with sway bars. Its a nice change for the extra negative camber but I don't feel like it made a huge difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 06:37 PM   #4
ekkathewrekka
135i Enthusiast
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppunkamui View Post
$290 for the inserts is a bargain. I have been been quoted in the thousands, which is why I did it myself.

Changing the shocks (I had to take them out to change bump stops) I found to be easier than the inserts. No idea about pricing.

I've got the control arms, didn't bother with sway bars. Its a nice change for the extra negative camber but I don't feel like it made a huge difference.
Ok thanks for the advice I will leave the sway bar and control arms
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 09:27 PM   #5
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Sorry. I realized I read your post wrong.

I thought you meant whiteline polyurethane subframe bushings not the inserts. I put Nolathane 2 piece polyurethane bushings on... I have no experience with inserts, but I expect the install to be comparatively easy since you don't have to remove the existing bushings which is most of the work TBH... I personally wouldn't do inserts, but might be worthwhile for the easy install.

Also, regarding the control arms, it is probably worth mentioning that the stiffer bushings on the control arm does slightly increase ride stiffness and response as well. IMO the front suspension NVH increased in line with the NVH from the rear with RSFB.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 04:26 AM   #6
ekkathewrekka
135i Enthusiast
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppunkamui View Post
Sorry. I realized I read your post wrong.

I thought you meant whiteline polyurethane subframe bushings not the inserts. I put Nolathane 2 piece polyurethane bushings on... I have no experience with inserts, but I expect the install to be comparatively easy since you don't have to remove the existing bushings which is most of the work TBH... I personally wouldn't do inserts, but might be worthwhile for the easy install.

Also, regarding the control arms, it is probably worth mentioning that the stiffer bushings on the control arm does slightly increase ride stiffness and response as well. IMO the front suspension NVH increased in line with the NVH from the rear with RSFB.
Might hold off till next year on suspension but B14s and RSF inserts will suffice,
Appreciate 0