BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-29-2019, 05:11 PM   #1
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Anyone tried adding carplay to their E82/E88?

I'm seeing items like this on aliexpress and elsewhere: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303...d4664814RI7zhE

It looks like some box that adds carplay and some other features to your box. It mostly looks like it just hijacks the display signal and uses a built-in computer in the box to do carplay.

Anyone have any experience with this? It looks enticing.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 12:23 AM   #2
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
I was just randomly looking at this today too and the one I found is Carlinkit Fit For BMW CIC

Wired IOS CarPlay & Android Auto Upgrade Decoder Kits https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F392338510983

Please keep us posted on what you do.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I looked at both the links. It appears they're using a more updated MMI (multi media interface) box. I can't attest to how CarPlay or Android Auto would work using these boxes. But if you want to see what is involved in installing a system such as this, look at the thread I created on installing the Bimmertech backup camera retrofit.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1207855
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Very cool. Thanks for the link. Now I just need real world feedback if any of these CarPlay devices actually work
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #5
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Any word on the EBay unit? It appears you have to have connected drive coded into your combibox to have it pull up on screen. Need to see if it's available for mine, I have a 2011 manufactured 9/2010
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 04:35 PM   #6
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
I haven't tried it. When I get an iPhone again - I might. For now, not really a need.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 06:41 PM   #7
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Bumping this.

I have a 2013 135is and I see a lot listings say 2008-2012 only. I'm guessing it's because 2013s have some special encryption thing that I've heard of. SUPER FRUSTRATIING.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 05:04 PM   #8
z0mghii
Private
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenTBoy View Post
Bumping this.

I have a 2013 135is and I see a lot listings say 2008-2012 only. I'm guessing it's because 2013s have some special encryption thing that I've heard of. SUPER FRUSTRATIING.
You can install the andream unit - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000192794400.html

I have it running perfectly on my 2013 135i
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 08:30 PM   #9
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0mghii View Post
You can install the andream unit - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000192794400.html

I have it running perfectly on my 2013 135i
"BMW 1 Series E81 E82 E87 E88 2009-2012 with CIC system 6.5" / 8.8" original screen"

I get that Chinese/Aliexpress ads suck with this stuff but I've never seen one say they work with 2013. As far as I know, there's some special module that's makes the car more locked down with the 135is at least. It's why you can't just get a tune easily - you have to pay to have it unlocked as well.

What is your VIN? Maybe it doesn't have the part. I remember you're able to tell on RealOEM if you have it. I'd have to look up the info again.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 10:09 PM   #10
z0mghii
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenTBoy View Post
"BMW 1 Series E81 E82 E87 E88 2009-2012 with CIC system 6.5" / 8.8" original screen"

I get that Chinese/Aliexpress ads suck with this stuff but I've never seen one say they work with 2013. As far as I know, there's some special module that's makes the car more locked down with the 135is at least. It's why you can't just get a tune easily - you have to pay to have it unlocked as well.

What is your VIN? Maybe it doesn't have the part. I remember you're able to tell on RealOEM if you have it. I'd have to look up the info again.
You're talking about the DME lock? My car has the special module too, this one is compatible.

Here's my VIN - WBAUC9C50DVY60409

I'm 100% certain it will work with a 2013 as my car is a 2013
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 09:56 AM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

The lock out is specific to the DME for applying engine tunes. This module has nothing to do with those systems. It inserts into the Canbus system and acts as a proxy between the stock systems and the iDrive screen. I've had the predecessor to this for years without issue. And I have a 2013 135i.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 01:34 PM   #12
swunder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is, x3 m40i, V70R

Was there difficulty finding a spot for the box and cables this comes with? Remember some post about this or something similar mentioned installation was a pain due to lack of space.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 04:09 PM   #13
z0mghii
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunder View Post
Was there difficulty finding a spot for the box and cables this comes with? Remember some post about this or something similar mentioned installation was a pain due to lack of space.
I had to mount it at the fuse box. If a fuse blows, I would need to remove the glove box. Here's a picture of when I was working on it (ignore the mess). Do note that some of the wires in the picture are incorrectly setup here if someone's looking for reference
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 04:21 PM   #14
z0mghii
Private
Rep

Here's what android auto looks like
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 08:05 PM   #15
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Would you recommend the listing you posted or is there a better listing? I'm willing to jump in at this point and give it a shot. Wireless carplay is what I'm prioritizing along with great audio quality. I'd prefer little to no drop in audio quality if possible. (Coming from plugging in directly)

I'm not *dying* for carplay at this point because I just bought a fancy proclip mount but I'm willing to give it a shot. Anything to stop me from even going to the dealer to look at an M4 Convertible. (I've been a bit sour about my car lately because I can't take care of it like I want to - I haven't had a garage or place to park for 3+ years, makes working on it quite time consuming)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 01:41 AM   #16
z0mghii
Private
Rep

Personally, I'd 100% recommend the listing that I posted. All these units are essentially the same, with minor tweaks in the software. There's a huge thread that you can do some research here - https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929

I was debating between getting the bimmertech one (~$700) vs the listing I posted (~$250), and thought $250 was a small enough risk in case things didn't meet my expectations and I would just write it off.

I can say with full confidence this mod is the best thing I've done for this car, it just makes the car so much more modern. I enter the car, phone stays in the pocket, it connects to android auto through wifi and bluetooth, then I hold the menu button for 3 seconds to switch to the ANDREAM software, tap ok through the idrive controller and google maps and spotify starts playing automatically. It's almost identical to a native OEM implementation, all steering wheel functionality and idrive controller works. Voice assistant button on the steering wheel triggers google assistant.

> Wireless carplay is what I'm prioritizing along with great audio quality. I'd prefer little to no drop in audio quality if possible. (Coming from plugging in directly)

Hm, if you were originally plugged in through AUX, I just can't see audio quality through bluetooth match AUX quality. The way this system works is it has it's own bluetooth chip, and during the installation step, you actually have to route a wire from the box to the AUX port in your car (see FAQ in the bimmerpost link up top). If you're looking to continue to use AUX for your phone, then none of these boxes will work. Additionally, I'll also note that I haven't tested carplay only android auto.

With that being said, the bluetooth quality is identical or even better than the idrive unit. One of the biggest frustrations I had was that bluetooth on the idrive unit was horrible. It would connect to my phone but never played sound out. I constantly had to reconnect bluetooth to get it working. I notice no difference in sound quality between AUX and Bluetooth, though I'm not a sound expert
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 11:46 AM   #17
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

I "mounted" mine next to the steering column. There's a void there which gives just enough space to fit it in.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 11:48 AM   #18
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Personally, I'd 100% recommend the listing that I posted. All these units are essentially the same, with minor tweaks in the software. There's a huge thread that you can do some research here - https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929

I was debating between getting the bimmertech one (~$700) vs the listing I posted (~$250), and thought $250 was a small enough risk in case things didn't meet my expectations and I would just write it off.

I can say with full confidence this mod is the best thing I've done for this car, it just makes the car so much more modern. I enter the car, phone stays in the pocket, it connects to android auto through wifi and bluetooth, then I hold the menu button for 3 seconds to switch to the ANDREAM software, tap ok through the idrive controller and google maps and spotify starts playing automatically. It's almost identical to a native OEM implementation, all steering wheel functionality and idrive controller works. Voice assistant button on the steering wheel triggers google assistant.

> Wireless carplay is what I'm prioritizing along with great audio quality. I'd prefer little to no drop in audio quality if possible. (Coming from plugging in directly)

Hm, if you were originally plugged in through AUX, I just can't see audio quality through bluetooth match AUX quality. The way this system works is it has it's own bluetooth chip, and during the installation step, you actually have to route a wire from the box to the AUX port in your car (see FAQ in the bimmerpost link up top). If you're looking to continue to use AUX for your phone, then none of these boxes will work. Additionally, I'll also note that I haven't tested carplay only android auto.

With that being said, the bluetooth quality is identical or even better than the idrive unit. One of the biggest frustrations I had was that bluetooth on the idrive unit was horrible. It would connect to my phone but never played sound out. I constantly had to reconnect bluetooth to get it working. I notice no difference in sound quality between AUX and Bluetooth, though I'm not a sound expert
Would you give more details as to how Android Auto works with this? I don't have any desire to move to IOS. I'm making due currently using the Smart Mirror box and mating my Android phone that way. Do you use the iDrive controller to access the various Android Auto apps? If Android Auto works well with the new MMI, I might upgrade from my old version.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 12:06 PM   #19
z0mghii
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Would you give more details as to how Android Auto works with this? I don't have any desire to move to IOS. I'm making due currently using the Smart Mirror box and mating my Android phone that way. Do you use the iDrive controller to access the various Android Auto apps? If Android Auto works well with the new MMI, I might upgrade from my old version.
I was using the smart mirror box also from bimmertech, this works way better. Yup, everything including the iDrive controller works with the box. It's as if the car actually came with Android Auto, everything just works 100%.

> Do you use the iDrive controller to access the various Android Auto apps?
Navigating through the UI will all be through the iDrive controller, or you can use voice assistant. There's a app drawer button on the top left that you can enter which will have all your apps.

On a side note for everyone else reading this thread, it's a good time to add a reverse camera on your car if you're performing this install. The box has support for reverse camera and you'll save a lot of effort if you wire the camera in now when everything's disassembled.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5149.50
dandandan101.50
      12-15-2020, 01:48 PM   #20
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I was using the smart mirror box also from bimmertech, this works way better. Yup, everything including the iDrive controller works with the box. It's as if the car actually came with Android Auto, everything just works 100%.

> Do you use the iDrive controller to access the various Android Auto apps?
Navigating through the UI will all be through the iDrive controller, or you can use voice assistant. There's a app drawer button on the top left that you can enter which will have all your apps.

On a side note for everyone else reading this thread, it's a good time to add a reverse camera on your car if you're performing this install. The box has support for reverse camera and you'll save a lot of effort if you wire the camera in now when everything's disassembled.
Thanks for the feedback. Looks to me that I have a new project now. I'll have to look at the one you purchased to see if the wiring harnesses are the same. If they are, it would be great as it'll really be just a quick plug and play swap.

And yes, I already have the backup camera installed. Although I've been getting intermittent lack of video for some reason. Not sure if the camera is going bad, the MMI, or the cabling.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 02:11 PM   #21
z0mghii
Private
Rep

Just make sure to order the CIC version and when installing, the manual will show 3 ways to connect to canbus (2 of the ways include proxying the idrive controller wire), the only method that worked me was the 3rd method that didn't include tapping the idrive controller. Feel free to DM any questions
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 04:40 PM   #22
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swunder View Post
I had to mount it at the fuse box. If a fuse blows, I would need to remove the glove box. Here's a picture of when I was working on it (ignore the mess). Do note that some of the wires in the picture are incorrectly setup here if someone's looking for reference
z0mghii

Did you take this picture before you swapped the CAN cable to option 3 (Low Speed CAN connect DVD)? In the photo it looks like the jumper is still connected (B to D) and (A to C) like option 1 suggested. Option 3 seem to suggest you remove D to B and simply do A to B.

Also to clarify, you didn't need to connect the idrive controller with the C connector? I'm pretty sure my setup will be identical but I have the HK sound system.

Thank you!

Picture for reference...

Edit...
This helped clarify but I will report back after I have time to tear apart my car for installation LOL:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0