BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-13-2020, 04:34 PM   #1
ekkathewrekka
135i Enthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i MY2011 N55 Softtop

N55 Stage 2+ tune - reliability?

Interested in the forums thoughts on this, booked into the shop for :-

Catless DP
6.5 inch FMIC
BMS intake
MHD stage 2 + map
New plugs one step colder
New Coils
BMS metal charge pipe

This are commons mods so wondering what other N55 owners experience is with reliability ? Can our motor handle this HP

Should be about 340 HP. Have 95ks on the clock. It’s a DD doing about 15ks a year
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 12:42 AM   #2
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
I have MHD Stage 2+

AR Catted DP
ER Intercooler
ER CP
Stock intake

No problems whatsoever. I've been running this setup for almost 8 months now but I've only driven 3K miles.

I had an intake on for a while but I get lean mixture at partial loads + rail pressure too high (causes limp mode). I took that off and will put it back on once I find someone that can make it work. I miss the sound. This happens with or without the tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 04:29 AM   #3
ekkathewrekka
135i Enthusiast
Australia
Rep

Ok, hope my inlet does not cause this problem. Any way will post my dyno run when done
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #4
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkathewrekka View Post
Ok, hope my inlet does not cause this problem. Any way will post my dyno run when done
There's a few people documenting issues with the BMS intake especially, just keep it in mind as something to check in case an issue does come up.

I run 2+ with stock down pipe (just select oem downpipe in options). Only real supporting mods I've got installed are intercooler (atm) and dv+. Stock plugs, stock coils. No issues

Edit** ohh and I do have an upgraded charge pipe (ER) as well (must have).
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 03:11 AM   #5
ekkathewrekka
135i Enthusiast
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Interested in the forums thoughts on this, booked into the shop for :-

Catless DP
6.5 inch FMIC
BMS intake
MHD stage 2 + map
New plugs one step colder
New Coils
BMS metal charge pipe

This are commons mods so wondering what other N55 owners experience is with reliability ? Can our motor handle this HP

Should be about 340 HP. Have 95ks on the clock. It’s a DD doing about 15ks a year
So bit the bullet and had it done

Ended up going 2 steps colder on the plugs and replaced the coils as well as I did not want to muck around going back to the shop with misfires and the like.

Initial thoughts using the bum Dyno is that it pulls a lot harder in all gears and top end is a little bit crazy now. Need a highway run to pull some WOTs to see how it performs in the higher rev range.

The burbles setting in the MHD flash is medium but not convinced I like it, I may disable.

The Burger intake really makes a difference to the sound of the car. You can here the turbo spool and blow off valves a lot clearer now. ....woooossshhhh !

The catless downpipes are stealth till you get to 80Kmh. Lay off the accelerator and it backfires so loudly you think the motor has blown. Don't know hot to fix this, maybe deleting the burble setting in the MHD flash will help. My wife is going to give me grief for this one.

Oil temp is now 20% cooler due to the 7.5" FMIC so hopefully this helps with engine life.

Will post the dyno once I get it.

Overall happy with the mods but time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 08:41 PM   #6
ekkathewrekka
135i Enthusiast
Australia
Rep

Quote:
So bit the bullet and had it done

Ended up going 2 steps colder on the plugs and replaced the coils as well as I did not want to muck around going back to the shop with misfires and the like.

Initial thoughts using the bum Dyno is that it pulls a lot harder in all gears and top end is a little bit crazy now. Need a highway run to pull some WOTs to see how it performs in the higher rev range.

The burbles setting in the MHD flash is medium but not convinced I like it, I may disable.

The Burger intake really makes a difference to the sound of the car. You can here the turbo spool and blow off valves a lot clearer now. ....woooossshhhh !

The catless downpipes are stealth till you get to 80Kmh. Lay off the accelerator and it backfires so loudly you think the motor has blown. Don't know hot to fix this, maybe deleting the burble setting in the MHD flash will help. My wife is going to give me grief for this one.

Oil temp is now 20% cooler due to the 7.5" FMIC so hopefully this helps with engine life.

Will post the dyno once I get it.

Overall happy with the mods but time will tell.
Reflashed with MHD, deleted cold start, disabled burbles and reversed golf tee mod, backfire is pretty much gone now.

Exhaust stinks a bit with roof down which in the long run may see me removing the catless DP
Appreciate 0