BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #89
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghollysprings View Post
the Image is the 2nd badge in the kit, not the one for the engine bay
Interesting. Not that I really care, but I was never offered this badge when my PPK was installed, only the one that goes under the hood that says 'BMW Performance Power Kit' along with the warning label that alerts techs to it's existence.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #90
Javec
Adept Lurker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP, 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 M50i  [0.00]
2011 E90 M3  [9.50]
Quote:
the Image is the 2nd badge in the kit, not the one for the engine bay
It looks like the badge that comes with the 2011.75(?) e90 performance edition package that is placed on the trunk panel. First link I found on google: http://www.bmwofbloomfield.com/news_...n_package.aspx
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #91
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzydnc View Post
They said it needs to be purchased beforehand by the customer and then has to be shipped directly from Germany and takes 7-10 days to arrive.
That's what I was told, with the reason being that the software is VIN-specific and will only work for the designated car when it arrives, and for that reason it has to be paid for in advance. My car is getting it done Monday.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #92
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
Are people really concerned about gas mileage anywhere in this forum? Seems kinda strange. Buy a Prius or Civic if you want good gas mileage. Seriously?!
The world isn't black and white.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #93
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My point is that we buy these cars for performance. If we actually cared about gas mileage we'd buy something that got 30-35 MPG. The fact that you chose to spend several thousand and even up to $10K more on the BMW proves that you are all about performance.

Gas is expensive but to spend thousands more on a car to get 3MPG better gas mileage actually costs you more money. The only reason you bought the 135i is for performance, like you said.

My guess is that if you could've gotten an M3 or C63 for the same price as a 135i you would've done that and those cars are lucky to get 12-15MPG.
I did not get an M3 exactly because of poor gas mileage and the gas guzzler tax.
M3 has worse mileage than a Corvette.

Applying your logic, if you want performance you open up your wallet and get the most expensive car you can afford, money be dammed?
It doesn't work that way. Given a budget or a mpg that you think is reasonable, you get the best car out there. The definition of best is up to you. It could be measured in performance, reliability, or even brand cachet.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #94
davefromfla
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440ix

PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
That's what I was told, with the reason being that the software is VIN-specific and will only work for the designated car when it arrives, and for that reason it has to be paid for in advance. My car is getting it done Monday.
Where are you having it installed? Mine is scheduled at Field's 10/17.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #95
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
I did not get an M3 exactly because of poor gas mileage and the gas guzzler tax.
M3 has worse mileage than a Corvette.

Applying your logic, if you want performance you open up your wallet and get the most expensive car you can afford, money be dammed?
It doesn't work that way. Given a budget or a mpg that you think is reasonable, you get the best car out there. The definition of best is up to you. It could be measured in performance, reliability, or even brand cachet.
I have no response for someone that doesn't think logically... read the post again...if you can't figure it out...I can't help you.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #96
Itsquick
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i SGM / Black

Garage List
2011 135i  [6.00]
1971 280SL  [0.00]
2008 M5  [0.00]
Had the PPK installed at the dealer in March, before I took delivery. They put the badge on the door jamb by the VIN plate. I asked them about it and they said the tech always verifies the VIN before any work, so they would be sure to see it
Attached Images

Last edited by Itsquick; 10-07-2011 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: Add pic
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #97
pghollysprings
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM, 6sp, perfor pkg,

135 power kit

Today took first extensive drive with power kit as dealer apparently was able to do a successful flash yesterday I'm really surprised how noticeable the relatively small increase in HP/Torque is. I work out of my house or fly places so the 3.5 years/17k miles on my car 95% 'spirited' driving...not track....
I can make the wheels 'chirp' during shifts with the car moving with DTC on which never happened before. the first ~ 1/2 sec nothing different...then it really seems now to pull harder than before above ~2k rpm...really 3k rpm seems to be the sweet spot for me to start at which to my amateur mind sort of matchs the torque/hp graphs from bmw.
I hear no difference in sound in normal driving , but that may be because I also have the performance exhaust. What I do notice is when letting my foot off the gas abruptly...I now have a 'burbling' sound or at least it's more noticeable now. I may have a chance tomorrow to let my buddy who's a seasoned 3 series drive and has driven my car many times see what he thinks. For me , owing the car outright but with a 7yr/70k warranty I'm quite satisfied. Today was a wow day like the first week I had the car. The way I figure it would have cost me 25 grand to sell and get a 1m and for $750 I have gained half the performance of an 1m (without the overboost)? (note I have sport package). The way it kicks in I wonder if they secretly put a little 1m 'overboost' ...plus I don't like any of the 1m colors.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #98
gmartan
GB
Canary Islands
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Quote:
What I do notice is when letting my foot off the gas abruptly...I now have a 'burbling' sound or at least it's more noticeable now.
The question remains, when you put your foot back on the gas does the car now pull immediately or is there still a delay while it thinks about what to do in response to the pressure on the gas pedal?

Last edited by gmartan; 10-07-2011 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #99
pghollysprings
Enlisted Member
Rep

135 power kit

I just viewed the 335 power kit posts. Seems to confirm my findings except I didn't notice reduced turbo lag:
Second Impressions - 2 weeks after install -

1. You definitely "get used" to the tune. After about 2 weeks of daily driving, and over 500 miles, I can honestly say you don't really realize it's there anymore

a. Then you put your foot to the floor. There seems to be a sweet spot just around 3,000 RPM where you can get thrusted back in your seat.
(PGHOLLYSPRINGS...this is what I found too)

b. If you're just doing daily driving in D mode, you may not be able to appreciate it at all.

2. Gas Mileage - Maybe it was the route, or maybe I was driving consciously, or maybe it was the tune - I did a 240 mile trip and for the first time in 20,000 miles I averaged more than 500 miles to the tank.

a. When they say gas mileage is unaffected, I can honestly agree (under normal driving circumstances). That is of course unless you're pushing it to the limit and well, you'll get 12mpg. If you are driving in a more "spirited" manner, but not pushing its limits I'd say gas mileage is slightly diminished by at most 25 miles/tank.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 10:55 PM   #100
pghollysprings
Enlisted Member
Rep

In response to gmartin, unlike the 335 reviewer, I do feel a fraction of second delay before the 'push back'. Note I also have clutch delay valve mod
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #101
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8*Apex View Post
It's not the same. What he was saying is they are NOT ALLOWED to put certain aftermarket items on their vehicles. He's not referring to the manufacturers warranty but word of law. We, in the US, are allowed to put whatever we want on our cars, up to a point. We even have some protection by law to let us put on aftermarket items and change our own oil without voiding our warranty. Just sayin'.
I don't recall ever hearing that England, by law, does NOT allow performance upgrades. If you know that it is illegal, please post a reference for it.

There is no law in the US, other than federal emissions and some state laws, that prevent us from putting on PERFORMANCE aftermarket parts.

By law, we are NOT allowed nor protected to alter the vehicles performance not in accordance to the manufacturers warranty.
That is what is in question.

You're probably referring to the Mag Moss warranty act.
That act does NOT protect the owner from altering the engines performance beyond or outside of the stated manufacturers warranty.
What the act does is protect consumers so that we can choose not to have to use manufacturers maintenance and replacement parts.
It protects the consumers right to use an aftermarket air filter instead of the manufacturers air filter, as long as the aftermarket parts meet the manufacturers standards. Or, you can perform your own oil changes so long as the oil and filter meet the manufacturers standards.

You are not protected by Mag Moss if you alter the engines base performance. For example, you install a JB tune. You have no warranty protection if you do that, because you would be violating the stated manufacturers warranty compliance.
Mag Moss is not all encompassing.

BTW, since BMW actually does provide oil and oil filters, free of additional charge, people who change their own oil and filter, and don't use BMW oil and BMW filters, may actually be in violation of BMW's warranty.
How? Because, as stated by the Mag Moss act, a manufacture can require the use of manufacture specific parts, IF the manufacturer provides those items free of charge, which BMW does.
Now, I haven't heard of anyone being questioned by BMW if they do their own oil changes and don't use BMW branded oil and filters, and it wouldn't be in BMW's best interest to make a fuss about this.
However, if BMW did decide to deny warranty to someone who did not use BMW oil and filters, technically, BMW would not be in violation of the Mag Moss act. Just say'in.

In some states, California for example, you can't even use aftermarket intakes if they don't comply with Cali's vehicle code, CARB.
If England has some of the same type of codes they are probably emissions related. If so, it's not different in the US. We are also not allowed to perform modifications that result in the car not meeting EPA standards. If the UK has these same requirements, which they do, then it's not different than here in the states.

Please give your reference for your claim that UK car owners are not allowed to perform performance upgrades by law, outside of same EPA type standards.
I am genuinely curious to learn if this is true. I've been into automobiles for a few decades and I've never heard this claim that BY LAW, UK car owners can not install performance upgrades. Seems a wild claim.

I've been doing internet searches for this claim, and can't find anything about it. You do find plenty of tuners and performance parts sellers in the UK.
For example:
http://www.ufindus.com/car_performance_upgrades/england
Seems a lot of people and business's are breaking the "law", if there is one.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #102
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Today took first extensive drive with power kit as dealer apparently was able to do a successful flash yesterday I'm really surprised how noticeable the relatively small increase in HP/Torque is.

The way I figure it would have cost me 25 grand to sell and get a 1m and for $750 I have gained half the performance of an 1m (without the overboost)? (note I have sport package). The way it kicks in I wonder if they secretly put a little 1m 'overboost' ...plus I don't like any of the 1m colors.
Thanks for the experience. Better than expected is always great.

Now, as far as "...gain half the performance of a 1M.."
C'mon. Not even close.

This tune is not a 1/2 substitute for a 1M.
I'm sure you made that claim in jest...right?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 05:50 AM   #103
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have no response
fixed for accuracy.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #104
L8*Apex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

@RPM90.... Sorry, I fell asleep after the first paragraph. Looks like you spent a lot of time on it tho.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #105
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmartan View Post
The question remains, when you put your foot back on the gas does the car now pull immediately or is there still a delay while it thinks about what to do in response to the pressure on the gas pedal?
That's what i want to know, this throttle delay is killing my driving experience.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #106
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

My Stage 1 first impression

So had the stage 1 software update done last Friday, as well as new plugs and oil change.
First, let me say that I have not had a lot of time to play with it yet, so this really is my first impressions. I'll be honest, I am somewhat underwhelmed. Maybe I was expecting too much, but I knew going in this was not a 'blow me back I'm the seat' kind of change.
Throttle response may be slightly faster, but I did not really experience the drop off a lot of you reported with the various software changes. I can say that it does feel stronger in the mid range. But for somebody who was already very satisfied, you have to really pay attention to notice it.
Perhaps when I get more of a chance to play, I will appreciate it more. And no buyers remorse at all. But now I am glad I didn't spring for the stage 2 kit with the hardware. Paying that much probably would have pushed me into remorse territory. Would not recommend that option unless you track and really need the extra cooling.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #107
gmartan
GB
Canary Islands
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
That's what i want to know, this throttle delay is killing my driving experience.
Well, I got the tune last weekend and I am pretty pleased. It is a little quicker but the best part is that throttle tip in is now much more linear and predictable. No more wait-wait-zoom when moving away from a stop light. I still detect some lag when taking my put off the gas going into a corner and then attempting to power out of it. It has been consistantly wet around here so I'm still undecided as to whether this lag is improved at all. I'll update once I see some dry road corners to punch it on.

What I find annoying is that BMW stated that the lag was normal yet they were clearly able to remedy it when you pay extra.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #108
Mr Marcus
Objects in the rear view mirror are losing
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipwit View Post
I'm just baffed that bmw gives the slushies more torque!!
Slushies???
      11-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #109
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmartan View Post
the lag was normal
I suppose their definition of normal means every car is like that. Doesn't mean OK, just normal. Hah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Marcus View Post
Slushies???
Cars w/ automatic trannies.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #110
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8*Apex View Post
@RPM90.... Sorry, I fell asleep after the first paragraph. Looks like you spent a lot of time on it tho.

That's why most people are misinformed about things like the mag-moss act, because they can't be bothered to read something longer a few sentences.

This is the era of amazing access to information through technology, yet people only want 1 sentence to explain complex issues.

Last edited by RPM90; 11-25-2011 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 0