BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Best Way To Increase the 128i/E82/N52 Engines' HP?
N55 Swap 2 10.53%
N54 Swap 6 31.58%
Other Swap 8 42.11%
Programming/Coding 2 10.53%
Other (Post Your Suggestions) 5 26.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

06-23-2019, 01:45 PM   #23
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBae View Post
I'm just playfully razzing you bud. Don't take offence.

I noticed you did the MILV upgrade. What exactly do those accomplish? No one has suggested that to me yet. I know they abbreviate Modified Intake Lift Valvetronic Supports but I'm still not really sure what that means.
Ye it's a mod for the variable valve lift system (called Valvetronic). If you wanna know the basic science behind it, keep reading. Otherwise just skip to the bottom of my post for its benefits.

Small background - most engines (not cars, gas engines across the board) regulate their RPMs by using a throttle plate, which as we know opens/closes to let different amounts of air in. BMW saw this as inefficient. The throttle plate creates a vacuum inside the intake manifold, which creates pumping losses as the piston travels to suck air in. Instead of using the energy that the pistons hold to rotate the crankshaft, some of that energy is spent sucking the air into the cylinder (like a golfball thru a straw). If your intake manifold is running at atmospheric pressure (as opposed to having vacuum) then the air will fill the cylinder much more willingly.

BMW solved this by creating a system called Valvetronic. Instead of choking the air BEFORE the intake manifold (creating that vacuum), you use the intake valves to regulate the amount of air coming into the cylinder. Now you have higher-than-usual pressure air eager to jump into that cylinder and make delicious power and noise. You still have a normal intake camshaft, but then you have another shaft (the eccentric shaft) to adjust the position of the rocker arms (and thus, the valve lift).

Here's a great video explaining it

In laymen's terms, your gas pedal doesn't open a throttle valve, it varies the amount of valve lift you have. Where do MILVS come into the equation? By the name you can now start to see how it works. It modifies the supports that the intermediate rockers ride on, and thus alters the valve lift.

Very cost effective mod if you can turn a wrench. It IS on the more advanced side because it's no longer bolt-on. We're done head work, so bust out the clear pair of gloves, the 1/4" torque wrench and take your time, yaknow?

You can see a few dyno graphs on Marty's website, https://BimmerMILVS.com/ Also he's using my pictures to show the products off!

Pic is from my MILV installation. It's a pain if you don't buy the specific valve spring tool, which wasn't available when I did it. So I used Hassmachine's method.

TL;DR it's a $300 camshaft, that isn't a camshaft. But still adds 1mm of valve lift and 2-3° of duration. So you gain approx. 10whp, and plenty of more power under the curves.
Attached Images

Last edited by desertman123; 06-23-2019 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2019, 02:57 PM   #24
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
I'm just playfully razzing you bud. Don't take offence.

I noticed you did the MILV upgrade. What exactly do those accomplish? No one has suggested that to me yet. I know they abbreviate Modified Intake Lift Valvetronic Supports but I'm still not really sure what that means.
I suggested milvs in my first post. I will skip that explanation since desertman wrote up a nice description.

As for the other stuff.

AA Catless Headers - Active Autoworks Headers. Typically around $800 new, cheaper if you find a used set that may pop-up occasionally. Different dynos show about 15-20 rwhp gains.

3 Stage Intake - Our stock N52 intake is a single stage. Someone had the brains to wonder why a 330 with the same engine was rated at 255+ bhp while ours we're rated at 230. So the 3SI is what came out of it along with programming for utilizing it.

If you do some research, you will find that a lot of BMW's came with the 3SI stock. N51 engines, 330 models, etc. I found a used one for less than $200. But for peace of mind, I did buy new DISA valves to go with it. This and a tune is typically looked at as a 25-35 bhp upgrade.

Milvs are like what's been described already. Around 10 rwhp across the board.

If you are fairly competent with a wrench, you can do all of this work yourself. I think the best dyno I've seen with these mods was about 248 rwhp.

As for air intakes, don't bother as they are only expensive underhood ornaments. Take out your stock intake, remove the charcoal filter, drop in an aftermarket filter like K&N, and change the ribbed elbow to the throttle body with a smooth silicone boot. (~$60). There have been slight gains shown with that, and better throttle response.

After that, it's pretty much it aside from maybe a custom dyno tune to extract that last little bit of power.

As I mentioned before, ESS makes a supercharger for our cars. But you are looking at only about a 60rwhp improvement for maybe $6K, and not much more torque. Plus than you start stressing an engine that I don't feel would be good for it in the long run.

Then there are other things that help. I've got 1 piece wheels and standard tires in an 18" square setup. But ditching the stock wheels and run-flats saved me maybe 40lbs in rotational mass.

My next area to get into is suspension. The car handles great now and can hurt a lot of faster cars feelings in the twistys, but some solid sub-frame bushings and a nice front/rear spring and dampener setup would make it exponentially more better.

Now if there is an LS swap kit out there for our cars, that would be pretty sweet.
      06-23-2019, 06:17 PM   #25
RayBae
Clueless Noobie
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82/128i

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
TL;DR it's a $300 camshaft, that isn't a camshaft. But still adds 1mm of valve lift and 2-3° of duration. So you gain approx. 10whp, and plenty of more power under the curves.
I'm totally going to do this. Is the only supplier https://BimmerMILVS.com/ ?

Also, this is the right 3-stage manifold, correct? I'm game to do this, as well.

One thing I'm not clear on is the coding aspect. What do I need to do things like:
  1. Disable the door chime
  2. Disable the seatbelt chime
  3. Disable the Xenon light option
  4. Performance tune

What software are you guys using?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #26
RayBae
Clueless Noobie
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82/128i

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
As for air intakes, don't bother as they are only expensive underhood ornaments. Take out your stock intake, remove the charcoal filter, drop in an aftermarket filter like K&N, and change the ribbed elbow to the throttle body with a smooth silicone boot. (~$60). There have been slight gains shown with that, and better throttle response.
That is really good to know. I found an intake for pretty cheap on eBay and was considering it. I'll now just use the parts you've mentioned and toss the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
My next area to get into is suspension. The car handles great now and can hurt a lot of faster cars feelings in the twistys, but some solid sub-frame bushings and a nice front/rear spring and dampener setup would make it exponentially more better.
I've done rear upper control arms, camber plates on the front. 20mm coil spacers on the rear, and 15mm on the front. Big handling gains from the negative camber we were able to apply. I'm not into lowering my car because the roads where I'm from are in awful condition and it would result in damaging my mint condition 1.

I run a staggered 20" set of 8.5w fronts and 9.5w rears. BF Goodrich on the front. Brand new Toyo Proxes on the rear. They're big wheels and probably heavy. The stock setup and fitment made my eyes bleed.

There's coil-overs on eBay for $600 USD. They might be worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 09:59 PM   #27
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Nice. Who sells the kits? Drop us a link.
A simple internet search on “bmw ls3 swap” will give you what you need.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2019, 03:20 PM   #28
smeard
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I have thought about this, too. I have come to terms with the power abilities of the 128. @enriquo_suave on instagram 2jz swapped his widebody 128i, but I know damn well that was $$$. However, with just FBO these cars are plenty capable of taking down stock 370s or v6 maros/mustangs. In terms of power upgrades, my car currently has an injen intake, 3 stage manifold (stock, N51), catless headers, custom exhaust from the header back, and a CSF Race Radiator. I am looking at getting MILVs and an AA custom tune. My brother has an F30 328i (turbo 4) that used to wipe the floor with my car stock vs stock. With these mods, my car leaves his in the dust from a 20 or 40 roll. And, he can't even keep me in his sight on a mountain road. That's what these cars are built for after all...the turns. I don't want to get rid of my 128, especially with these being the last N/A, non-electric steering BMWs left. This car has been a wonderful experience. If anything, I will get another car for the highway. I don't see myself selling my baby
Weekend - 1997 BMW Z3 M52, 5spd, Dunkelgrun: 230k mi, Intrax Springs on Bilsteins, Style 68s staggered
AutoX/track - 2012 F30 N20, 6MT BSM
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      06-24-2019, 06:09 PM   #29
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

The search button will yield plenty of results on this topic.

N52 upgrades have been well documented, with headers + tune + 3IM providing the biggest bang for the buck. The rest provide incremental gains. Ditching heavy and oversized wheels will yield favorable results for your vehicle.

Buying a 135i is the best course of action if you're after power. It is prohibitively expensive to motor swap to something that already exists from the factory. But hey - suit yourself, it's your wallet, not mine.
Appreciate 2
smeard136.00
      06-26-2019, 04:34 PM   #30
smeard
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carscatscoffee15 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeard View Post
I have thought about this, too. I have come to terms with the power abilities of the 128. @enriquo_suave on instagram 2jz swapped his widebody 128i, but I know damn well that was $$$. However, with just FBO these cars are plenty capable of taking down stock 370s or v6 maros/mustangs. In terms of power upgrades, my car currently has an injen intake, 3 stage manifold (stock, N51), catless headers, custom exhaust from the header back, and a CSF Race Radiator. I am looking at getting MILVs and an AA custom tune. My brother has an F30 328i (turbo 4) that used to wipe the floor with my car stock vs stock. With these mods, my car leaves his in the dust from a 20 or 40 roll. And, he can't even keep me in his sight on a mountain road. That's what these cars are built for after all...the turns. I don't want to get rid of my 128, especially with these being the last N/A, non-electric steering BMWs left. This car has been a wonderful experience. If anything, I will get another car for the highway. I don't see myself selling my baby
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeard View Post

you guys are also forgetting the most important bit... it's not always the car but the driver. Camero ate my dust with what I currently have last weekend
absolutely correct! Friend of mine got a lil butthurt after a baby bmw chewed up his mustang GT (older, 4.6 2valve). Someone in a 1000hp monster still would lose to a 128 if they didn't know how to drive it properly😂😂 But these cars are the most fun in the twisties!! Anytime i get the chance i take the twisty route. Recently hit 78/79 by Julian, CA. Highly recommended!
Weekend - 1997 BMW Z3 M52, 5spd, Dunkelgrun: 230k mi, Intrax Springs on Bilsteins, Style 68s staggered
AutoX/track - 2012 F30 N20, 6MT BSM
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 07:37 PM   #31
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Just one other thought, since you're not worried about matching numbers etc is if you want a fast car with peace of mind, consider an LS engine swap. You can get 430hp and don't need to mess with all the BMW DME weirdness. And from a maintenance standpoint, it's pretty bulletproof. I believe they make kits for E36s so would be good to check if other kits are offered. You can get a fully dressed and ready to drive kit for right around $9k. Might be able to go cheaper if you look for everything salvage but will take a lot longer and you still need to buy the control unit etc.
Nice. Who sells the kits? Drop us a link.
This might help....

http://bfy.tw/OJ4g
      06-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #32
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
This is kind of an interesting thread, but the topic has been discussed (here, and on E90Post). Ever since E30ROB totaled his 128i, desertman123 has the most powerful non-race-spec N52 on the forums.

Best power combo, sticking with an N51/N52 128i (will put you at approximately 250hp at the wheels):
-Active Autowerke Catless Headers https://store.activeautowerke.com/co...exhaust-header
-N54 Intake Manifold (Part Number 11617564679)
-MILV's (Thread on here...use the search tool or google)
-Tune
-Manual Swap? (less power loss)

If you want any more than that (say, with a supercharger) it really is best to move on to the N54 platform. They already have the stronger transmission (seriously, those things are bulletproof transmissions, and I want one in my car), reinforced driveshaft, axles, differential, clutch, hubs, brakes, etc. To bring a 128i up to such snuff would cost at least as much as a complete, high-mileage 135i, which has an engine that can reliably hold 800hp stock. All the appearance parts on your car will bolt right up, and you'll be off to the races (and maybe winning some). Plus, the torque from the turbo motor will be better for turning those gigantic wheels (backing-down to 17's would make the car feel exponentially quicker )

Edit: +1 on driver mod! Best thing you can do. Remember, the weakest part of any car is the nut behind the wheel...
smeard136.00
      06-27-2019, 04:01 PM   #33
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

I'd like to throw my suggestion for an engine swap into the hat...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=cyqJxXolico
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #34
gixracer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M3/SlickN55/SlickN54/128

I voted n54 but there are so many things to tray first.
Do the n52 engine mods first. N55 is pain because of the wiring. Trust me been there done that. The N54/55 is more than you think because 128 has small spline rear axles, different trans, diff, rear brakes. S65 = deep pockets and almost worthless without going 1m clone.
      07-06-2019, 07:21 PM   #35
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixracer View Post
I voted n54 but there are so many things to tray first.
Do the n52 engine mods first. N55 is pain because of the wiring. Trust me been there done that. The N54/55 is more than you think because 128 has small spline rear axles, different trans, diff, rear brakes. S65 = deep pockets and almost worthless without going 1m clone.
so OP did mention manual tranny swap in his first post and despite the mass amount of people saying it's stupid and "it makes more sense to just sell an get a 6MT 1er", I know there's people out there who have done it (I think one got tuned at BPC with all the bells and whistles in terms of bolt on's as well)

anyone wanna chime in on this
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 01:29 PM   #36
E30ROB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M Sport AW3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
This is kind of an interesting thread, but the topic has been discussed (here, and on E90Post). Ever since E30ROB totaled his 128i, desertman123 has the most powerful non-race-spec N52 on the forums.

Best power combo, sticking with an N51/N52 128i (will put you at approximately 250hp at the wheels):
-Active Autowerke Catless Headers https://store.activeautowerke.com/co...exhaust-header
-N54 Intake Manifold (Part Number 11617564679)
-MILV's (Thread on here...use the search tool or google)
-Tune
-Manual Swap? (less power loss)

If you want any more than that (say, with a supercharger) it really is best to move on to the N54 platform. They already have the stronger transmission (seriously, those things are bulletproof transmissions, and I want one in my car), reinforced driveshaft, axles, differential, clutch, hubs, brakes, etc. To bring a 128i up to such snuff would cost at least as much as a complete, high-mileage 135i, which has an engine that can reliably hold 800hp stock. All the appearance parts on your car will bolt right up, and you'll be off to the races (and maybe winning some). Plus, the torque from the turbo motor will be better for turning those gigantic wheels (backing-down to 17's would make the car feel exponentially quicker )

Edit: +1 on driver mod! Best thing you can do. Remember, the weakest part of any car is the nut behind the wheel...
I still have my N52! Putting into in an E36 and building a WTCC tribute car.

Just wait, we will break the 252whp mark with my N52
Appreciate 4
Rmtt8206.00
MCShred99.00
      07-21-2021, 06:05 AM   #37
Slow1er
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Did anyone end up swapping a n54 into their 128i?

Looking to make more power but I love my 128i too much to get rid of it.
I'm most interest in a N54 swap due to the mass amount of aftermarket support for the platform & seeing my friends having fun in their 600whp+ big single builds BUT I would love to hear from anyone who has swap ANY BMW motor not just a n54 (s65,s50,s52,s54). I have tons of questions as I am not the most handy person when it comes to big projects like this.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 09:30 PM   #38
bender128
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Coupe

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow1er View Post
Looking to make more power but I love my 128i too much to get rid of it.
I'm most interest in a N54 swap due to the mass amount of aftermarket support for the platform & seeing my friends having fun in their 600whp+ big single builds BUT I would love to hear from anyone who has swap ANY BMW motor not just a n54 (s65,s50,s52,s54). I have tons of questions as I am not the most handy person when it comes to big projects like this.

Thanks for your help!

I have seen a supercharged e46 330i a while back, was pretty cool. I imagine that would be a much more cost effective and unique approach to getting big power out your 128i than an n54/n55 swap.
Appreciate 0