BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2014, 01:17 AM   #1
Mishikwest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i

Pressure Washing Ques

Always been a low-tech soap and bucket guy, but thinking of getting a pressure washer. So they won't blow the paint right off the car? Are there other possibilities of damage to trim/finishes/etc? What should I be looking for; gas or electric?

thx
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 02:14 AM   #2
killerhurtalot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Well. As long as you're not putting the nozzle within like a foot of the car, it'll be fine...

The higher pressured washers (always gas) just lets you clean wider swath of the car because it'll be able to put down the same pressure at a longer distance away from the surface...

The pressure washer will also strip wax and other soft surface contaminants off so basically you'll want to wax it every time you pressure wash it just in case some of it got blown off so it doesn't get spotty...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

typically, you're looking at a 1500psi washer for detailing use. some people will move to a 2k or a bit more- the extra power helps especially if you're using foam cannons.

the washer will not strip the car as long as you're using it properly- that's typically more an action of a detergent you're spraying on rather than the physical act of applying water to the surface given that you aren't literally trying to clean the car via pressure alone.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
pick333
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW series 1 135i

Works fine if you are careful. I used it on my fence, full force narrow stream and it took the wood off the fence, leaving a design. If it can do that to a fence, it could be a problem on your car. Just adjust spray so it's not narrow at full force, by turning the thing on the end of the spray gun.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick333 View Post
Works fine if you are careful. I used it on my fence, full force narrow stream and it took the wood off the fence, leaving a design. If it can do that to a fence, it could be a problem on your car. Just adjust spray so it's not narrow at full force, by turning the thing on the end of the spray gun.
to be blunt, painted metal is not the same as a wood fence.

you are correct about adjusting the gun's spread. the pressure washer should be used to apply water or product to the vehicle, not to remove dirt or grime on painted surfaces. that's what your detailing products are for.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 02:00 AM   #6
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
I use a 1450PSI Gerni. Yet to strip paint. Makes life a lot easier as I have low water pressure in my yard. It's electric, great value for money.
So far I've used it for the car: initial rinse, spray foam, rinse, [standard bucket wash], rinse. Big difference for someone who travels on dirt roads often. Great on the wheels too.
They're also great for cleaning the decking of the house, second story windows etc.

It's a $100 experiment...
Appreciate 0