BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-22-2010, 06:07 AM   #45
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

Another thought................

M3 is the darling of the automotive press and its owners. There is never a mention of the M6, or the M SUV's. On some levels the M5 is very sort after.

Will the 1M win us over with a back to basics, lighter, and toss able car?

I bet the euro press will take a shining to it and place it over the M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #46
Madozu
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M / M3 E36 3.2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDAD View Post
Will the 1M win us over with a back to basics, lighter, and toss able car?

I bet the euro press will take a shining to it and place it over the M3.
Indeed, European drivers and press have an affinity to small, powerful cars that have first-class handling. Reasonable parts of France, Italy, Germany, Switzerland and Austria have tons of narrow-winding roads where smaller cars with less weight are in advantage.

I can imagine that the 1M (given it's a sort of back-to-basics driving machine) will get high marks in the European press ... and the new 1M could really take the position of the early M3s before they started to become heavy, large and stuffed with electronics. There are still some guys that prefer to drive a car instead of programming it
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #47
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madozu View Post
Indeed, European drivers and press have an affinity to small, powerful cars that have first-class handling. Reasonable parts of France, Italy, Germany, Switzerland and Austria have tons of narrow-winding roads where smaller cars with less weight are in advantage.

I can imagine that the 1M (given it's a sort of back-to-basics driving machine) will get high marks in the European press ... and the new 1M could really take the position of the early M3s before they started to become heavy, large and stuffed with electronics. There are still some guys that prefer to drive a car instead of programming it
Nicely said.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #48
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Two weeks ago I got my 2011 M3 (Euro Delivery) - If you can afford the M3, go with the M3. The car is amazing. It doesn't feel any bigger on the road than the 135i.
Attached Images

08-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #49
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Looks great, Chris! I am absolutely shocked at all this "talking down" of the M3.

GT-R, CTS-V, IS-F, C63, RS4, RS5, 911, and everything under the sun is compared to the M3. Things that dont even make sense. That's how damn good it is. It didn't consistently get critical acclaim for the last 25 years because it rested on its laurels. It really is the everyday super car. It looks great and does everything well. Honestly, the only major strike the M3 has against it is pricing. Out the gate a sizable portion of buyers thinks the 1 series looks "off." We're going up against 25 years of history and heritage here. The 1M will be great in its own special way, but it wont do much to inflict too much pain on the M3. The beauty of the car is that it feels like it was always that way. Unlike most of its competitors that feel like sooped up versions of an other car. The question remains if the 1M will feel that way.

What the hell is this bad around town B.S. everybody keeps talking about? The ideal launch point I've learned to get the best off the line accel is about 3800 in the M3. I've been around S2000's, RX8, and other high revving cars and launching under 4000rpm is no dice. Faster around town? Its safe to say we're talking midrange. People buying the M actually enjoy the revving and rowing through the gears. Heaven forbid M drivers ever wanting to do that!! If not, just buy a high torque 6.2 liter GM hi po car, right?

I'm sorry but I have to be realistic here. One is the boss and has been the boss. The other is trying to be the boss.

08-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #50
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
I couldn't wait and changed my order from a 135i to a E90 M3...

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #51
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
Looks great, Chris! I am absolutely shocked at all this "talking down" of the M3.

GT-R, CTS-V, IS-F, C63, RS4, RS5, 911, and everything under the sun is compared to the M3. Things that dont even make sense. That's how damn good it is. It didn't consistently get critical acclaim for the last 25 years because it rested on its laurels. It really is the everyday super car. It looks great and does everything well. Honestly, the only major strike the M3 has against it is pricing. Out the gate a sizable portion of buyers thinks the 1 series looks "off." We're going up against 25 years of history and heritage here. The 1M will be great in its own special way, but it wont do much to inflict too much pain on the M3. The beauty of the car is that it feels like it was always that way. Unlike most of its competitors that feel like sooped up versions of an other car. The question remains if the 1M will feel that way.

What the hell is this bad around town B.S. everybody keeps talking about? The ideal launch point I've learned to get the best off the line accel is about 3800 in the M3. I've been around S2000's, RX8, and other high revving cars and launching under 4000rpm is no dice. Faster around town? Its safe to say we're talking midrange. People buying the M actually enjoy the revving and rowing through the gears. Heaven forbid M drivers ever wanting to do that!! If not, just buy a high torque 6.2 liter GM hi po car, right?

I'm sorry but I have to be realistic here. One is the boss and has been the boss. The other is trying to be the boss.

I know what you are trying to say. It's true, the M3 is the king. The M3 has beat all those cars as an overall package but they are all different brands. This isn't the first time BMW has brought in something new which hasn't competed with something else they are already successful in. I see the 1M being equal and in some areas better than the current M3. If it is better than the M3, it won't be by much. The favour will be returned by the next gen M3 in the coming years.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #52
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I know what you are trying to say. It's true, the M3 is the king. The M3 has beat all those cars as an overall package but they are all different brands. This isn't the first time BMW has brought in something new which hasn't competed with something else they are already successful in. I see the 1M being equal and in some areas better than the current M3. If it is better than the M3, it won't be by much. The favour will be returned by the next gen M3 in the coming years.
I agree. The M3 will certainly not beat the 1M in all categories. It boils down to physical size with me as well. The M3 does not drive like a car its size but its still that size when you're looking at it. The dimensions of the 1er is almost perfect.
      08-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #53
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
I find it funny when Americans claim that some cars are overpriced... 135i in Australia = $75K+, M3? try $180k+!!!
Due to some pretty stiff import taxes no less, correct? I didn't see the prices of Holdens or Fords getting quite that high.
      08-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #54
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
I agree. The M3 will certainly not beat the 1M in all categories. It boils down to physical size with me as well. The M3 does not drive like a car its size but its still that size when you're looking at it. The dimensions of the 1er is almost perfect.
+1
and the renders of the 1M are just so sweet. Wide stance, aggressive, 1er on steroids!!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 05:54 AM   #55
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Lets be honest the M1 will be an excuse for those who can't afford the M3
I would go for a 135I or M3 that's about it. No need for the overpriced M1...the 135I was already a good car just needed some suspension work that I didn't wanted to do so I got rid of it for something more focused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #56
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
I would go for a 135I or M3 that's about it. No need for the overpriced M1...the 135I was already a good car just needed some suspension work that I didn't wanted to do so I got rid of it for something more focused.
Just needs some suspension work? How about your signature..? Differential too, right? I'd also add: wider rubber, a more robust powerband, gearing, and muscular looks. Okay, the last one is subjective but I think most (men) would agree.

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #57
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Let's be even more honest. The M3 (and the 3 series in general) is becoming too big and overly refined.

There are some interesting details about this on the latest Bimmerfile podcast (i.e. how high frequency feedback has been eliminated from late model bimmers, and increasing such feedback may recapture the feeling of older M cars).

Some of us want an M car more akin to the E30/36/46. I really don't care about the price
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #58
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I had an M3. Sold it because to heavy for cornering. It s a nice daily but a 330d is fine for that too. I have changed my m3 for this. I would like to have a cheap ///M car next to it. Maybe 1///M is nice for that. Depends on pricing.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #59
GTO Nate
Rep
Drives: 2004 GTO

I say go for the M3, but im Partial to CI......and the Torque it brings with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 11:32 PM   #60
titancrusher1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Jet Black 135i

Im of the opinion that the 1m is simply a smaller easier to manuever car. The M3 is a sweet car for it's class, but I dont feel you can compare it to an M version of the 1 series. Two totally different rides. Personally...i'm a 1 series kinda guy lol
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 04:39 AM   #61
BMW-driver
Drive carefully :)
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 1M Valencia Orange

Well, that's a hard choice for me. On first thoughts I would fcourse the E92M3. More power, NA engine (no turbo shit etc.), more sportscar. On the track the M3 wil be the faster car.

BUT,

The looks are very promissing of the 1M. Wait until I can see it in real live, but I do like the styling of the 1M a lot. More then the M3. And ofcourse the 1M will be also a very fine car to drive, and a lot less money(!) and for daily use also very good to use.

So, I think I would give away the better drivers car (E92M3) and take the better looking car (1M) in stead. The 1M is good enough. Maybe some better 'pure' image to. And thats what BMW M is all about.

Note: I do agree of some members here. If you truly want a sportcar, go Porsche. Take the Spyder! I have driven it. So much better as a sportscar than BMW nowadays.. no doubts.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:31 AM   #62
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
I was having high hopes for the 1M but it appears to be hideous looking.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:45 AM   #63
niuniu
NO DOGMA
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: baby bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
I was having high hopes for the 1M but it appears to be hideous looking.
If by hideous you mean a sensational E46 successor on steroids, then I agree!

08-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #64
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I made the choice already. It's tough when the 1M specs aren't even released, never mind the ability to test drive, but I decided I'd rather have one of the last high revving N/A (V8 at that) M cars before they are gone. And the size of the M3 is deceiving. It feels light and nimble behind the wheel. If you get a chance to drive one and run it past 8k rpms, you'll have a hard time walking away from it.

I am with radiant on this. I have stated a million times that its sad they are using the old n54 and simply tuning it..I wanted to get the last V8 that will be put in an M3. Not a tuned n54 engine that is already sitting in my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #65
Ringmeister
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs and some other stuff

Garage List
1974 BMW 2002 turbo  [0.00]
2001 BMW M Coupe  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
No question about it, a used M3 over the 1M for the same money.
1989 M3 Sport Evo #601
2001 M Coupe
2010 M3 Individual
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #66
niuniu
NO DOGMA
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: baby bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmeister View Post
No question about it, a used M3 over the 1M for the same money.
Could go out and get one today, stacks of them on the market. Great cars. Couldn't knock one.

Just not interested.