BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-04-2018, 06:24 AM   #1
Xccelerate
Back in a BMW
Rep
Drives: 21 X5M Comp

How Many 1Ms left?

Anyone know how many 1Ms are actually still on the road?

I have seen this site

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=bmw+1m

11' 1M Coupe Valencia 6MT OEM+ 289 of 740
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #2
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

There have been other threads addressing this issue. The answer is basically unknowable, because the fact that a car isn't registered with local authorities doesn't mean that it no longer exists. These cars are becoming collectible, and if the car isn't being used regularly, it may not be registered. Even if it is registered, it may move around and be hard to track, such as cars that were originally Canadian and which are now in the US.

If there was a reliable database of worldwide registrations of these cars, that would be a start. I don't think that one exists, however. We could try to make one, however it would be hard to get anyone who is not a forum participant to participate. The database of 1Ms that is on the list of "sticky" threads at the top of this board is very much outdated.

BMW itself is split into national/regional parts and the different parts don't talk to each other. For example, when you try to include an originally Canadian car on the BMW of the US platform ("mybmw" et al) you get an error message that the subject VIN # doesn't exist in the database. This is in spite of making repeated efforts with BMW of the US to transfer records so that the car will now be in the database. I cannot have my originally-Canadian 1M show up on my list of BMW cars on my profile. Getting a recalled driver airbag replacement was a huge chore.

Short answer, the information you seek should be easy enough to find, however it isn't.

Last edited by champignon; 07-05-2018 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
1'M Blue252.50
      07-06-2018, 11:24 PM   #3
zenaku
Rep
Drives: 1M

At least in the US and Canada, firms like IHS Markit (formerly Polk) and Experian have contracts with the government for their registration databases which track all vehicle registrations down to the VIN. I have no idea what that landscape is like anywhere outside of the Americas but I would have to imagine the same type of data gathering exists in at least the EU and Asian countries.

Any individual can probably buy this data from the aforementioned firms and it would be pretty easy to track the 740+220 1Ms in North America, given that you take into account a 1-2 year registration lag. The trouble is trying to nail down smaller volumes across smaller countries where I'm not sure this type of information is available.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 11:08 AM   #4
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xccelerate View Post
Anyone know how many 1Ms are actually still on the road?

I have seen this site

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=bmw+1m
not enough
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 01:50 PM   #5
1M
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2002Turbo, M3, M5, 1M

Very difficult to answer to this question, probably most 1M are still with us except those crashed and stolen. A few are already very tired and highly modified, they will probably survive another few years though, given the high resale value, if not crashed in the meantime.

I try to track as much as possible the european ones (UR91) with a register. Fun to do but researches takes a lot of time.
The most noticeable information I could tell you from my "tracking" is how easily these cars are being exported/imported. Several belgian cars went to Japan, while a few 1Ms delivered new in Russia were exported back to Germany, you have a canadian 1M in the streets of Moscow, Poland took a few from the Netherlands and France etc... they are moving all around, changing hands a lot.

I have been running a register for the Bmw 2002 Turbo since 20 years, an exclusive car with 1672 cars produced from 1973 to 1975, mostly sold in Europe. We have about 550 surviving cars more than 40 years later, almost 30%. Not bad for a very unreliable car, prone to rust and very easily going "sideways".

Unsure how the many samples in China and Korea will age with time, but I would expect that between 60% and 70% of the 1Ms produced will survive in 20 years from now (if it's still legal to drive petrol cars though...you never know how things will evolve!). About 90-95% must still be with us today, many unregistered.

It was, is and will remain a very special Bmw, collectible from day one.

Last edited by 1M; 09-09-2018 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
JP-1M171.00
      09-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #6
db85
Rep
Drives: daily: i30, second:?

I can comment on the situation here in South Korea since I've been monitoring the market since forever.

Worth noting that the car was limited in time (1year only), but practically unlimited in terms of supply. It is speculated that 220 cars made it over here which is alot for the size of this country. As a result, the cars depreciate like any other.

However the market is finally responding to the collector value of the car and I'm noticing a rift between collector spec mint condition cars and less desirable heavily tracked / modified / heavily repaired ones.

Even the best quality ones (low mileage, no repairs, well kept) trade around $50k USD. The less desirable ones trade around $33k ~ 42k USD. Its not hard to find 1Ms modified and beaten like hell on track.

I recken less than 30 mint condition ones remain in the country. Rarely trading hands, but within the community quite cherished for being a very rare officially imported manual M.
Appreciate 1
JP-1M171.00
      09-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #7
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M View Post
... Several belgian cars went to Japan ...
Do you have the VINs of the cars you know came to Japan? Both mine and the only other VIN I have were originally Italian cars.

db85 Thanks for sharing your knowledge of the Korean market. That’s a lot of cars per capita. My guesstimate of the Japan numbers are only 30 ~ 50 at most, but the unusually low numbers here are due to BMW not officially selling the model. All cars are individual imports.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 02:06 AM   #8
db85
Rep
Drives: daily: i30, second:?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post
Do you have the VINs of the cars you know came to Japan? Both mine and the only other VIN I have were originally Italian cars.

db85 Thanks for sharing your knowledge of the Korean market. That's a lot of cars per capita. My guesstimate of the Japan numbers are only 30 ~ 50 at most, but the unusually low numbers here are due to BMW not officially selling the model. All cars are individual imports.
Hi JP-1M. Unfortunately I do not have VIN information. It is much harder to track them in this country.
Appreciate 1
JP-1M171.00
      09-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #9
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by db85 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post

db85 Thanks for sharing your knowledge of the Korean market. That's a lot of cars per capita. My guesstimate of the Japan numbers are only 30 ~ 50 at most, but the unusually low numbers here are due to BMW not officially selling the model. All cars are individual imports.
Hi JP-1M. Unfortunately I do not have VIN information. It is much harder to track them in this country.
Understood. Thanks for replying.