BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Should BMW call it an M1?
Yes, call it an M1 332 66.80%
No, absolutely not 165 33.20%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

01-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #89
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Couple Facts:

1) This thread is biased as shit.

2) A great number of 1-series owners are 1st time BMW owners due to the price point. And a lot of them are young enough to where they dont give a shit, just vote cus M1 sounds cool!

3) Considering #2, a good portion of 1-Series drivers are noobs to BMW, M, it's tradition and history. Hence some of the absolutely brain dead logic and reasoning here.

4) THIS THREAD DOES NOT BELONG IN THE 1-SERIES FORUM. You want to know if its good to throw the M1 badge on the 1 series??? Ask the M forums, ask new and old M drivers. The guys that buy M cars. Not a 1-series forum where entry level BMW buyers are TRYING to reason and vote about the absolute BEST thing about BMW... The ///M Cars.

lol big joke. I really dont think its going to happen.

BTW, this is coming from someone who has already decided to purchase the 1-series M variation when it comes out.
      01-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #90
M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
Couple Facts:

2) A great number of 1-series owners are 1st time BMW owners due to the price point. And a lot of them are young enough to where they dont give a shit, just vote cus M1 sounds cool!

3) Considering #2, a good portion of 1-Series drivers are noobs to BMW, M, it's tradition and history. Hence some of the absolutely brain dead logic and reasoning here.

4) THIS THREAD DOES NOT BELONG IN THE 1-SERIES FORUM. You want to know if its good to throw the M1 badge on the 1 series??? Ask the M forums, ask new and old M drivers. The guys that buy M cars. Not a 1-series forum where entry level BMW buyers are TRYING to reason and vote about the absolute BEST thing about BMW... The ///M Cars.

BTW, this is coming from someone who has already decided to purchase the 1-series M variation when it comes out.

1) How is it biased? when the car comes out the 1 series owners are going to be the market for this car, and from what I read, some 3 owners too. If the car is being produced by the M division then it should be named accordingly, " The Ultimate Driving Machine".
2) This is my 3rd BMW and I bought the 1 series over the 3 series because of the "back to basics" size and handling of the car, which I think BMW has strayed from. I believe there are many more out there like me who believe this too.
3) I think we all know of the M division and the BMW history. That's what noobs do, they educate themselves of the brand they are inspired by. I dont care what they call the car as long as the M division did the work on it.
4) I think the reason the M1 is being built is because of all these 1 series owners who bought the car. If the car didn’t sell well there would be no M1 going into production. Who else would be better to pontificate on what would be best for the 1 series than those who have bought into the series and understand their car. Just because someone owns an M does not make them a savant on M cars that havent even come out yet. I'll leave that to the Motorsport Division of BMW.

Since the 1 series came out the 1 forums have filled with suggested improvement to enhance the driving experience and now that BMW has decided to commit to building this car, we have a right to share in the discussions and opinions, so I think the question is posted in the right forum.

Last edited by M2; 01-13-2010 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #91
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 View Post
Wow, where do I start.
1) How is it biased? when the car comes out the 1 series owners are going to be the market for this car, and from what I read, some M3 owners too. WHo cares what they call it. Just improve the cars suspenion and engine, trans and whatever else needs to be done to make this an "ultimate driving machine".
The thread is biased because you have 1-series owners voting on the use of a legendary supercar name for a 1-series. How do you not see that?

Who cares what they call it? Exactly my point! The people saying call it an M1 obviously dont care how the name is used. Thanks for proving my point.

Quote:
2) This is my 3rd BMW and I bought the 1 series over the 3 series because of the "back to basics" size and handling of the car, which I think BMW has strayed from. I believe there are many more like me.
The post I made did not begin with "Dear M2..."
I obviously didnt say ALL 1-series drivers, nor did I single anyone out. But the fact remains.

I myself had been debating getting a 135 in addition to the M3 because I miss the I6 from my other M3s and the lighter, fun feel of my E36 M3. But that does not mean that is who 135 buyers are in general. With the M variation of the 1series on its way, Im excited and ready to buy it.

Quote:
3) I think we all know of the M division and history. That's what noobs do, they educate themselves of the brand they are inspired by. I dont care what they call the car as long as the M division did the work on it.
Then why are you even responding to my post? What I posted was exactly in regards to this... people voting who dont care what its called but just saying "YEAAAA M1!!!!" cus it sounds cool.
I will buy one no matter what its called. But that dosnt change the fact that M1 is a historic name and one that can be used for THEE supercar when it comes.

Quote:
4) I think the reason the M1 is being built is because of all these 1 series owners who bought the car. If the car didn’t sell well there would be no M1 going into production. Who else would be better to pontificate on what would be best for the 1 series than those who have bought into the series and understand their car. Just because someone owns an M does not make them a savant on M cars.
Who else? How bout fans of M in general? How bout fans of BMW racing and history? How bout those that have supported and continue to support BMW and its M division?

If the 1-series wants to wear an M1 badge, that should be voted by fans of M, not the 1 series. Of course you wanna wear the supercar badge! But thats not cool man... not cool. So you think 1-series owners should vote on what happens with historic M1 badge instead of M fans and owners? Really???

Quote:
Since the 1 series came out the 1 forums have filled with suggested improvement to enhance the driving experience and now that BMW has decided to commit to building this car, we have a right to share in the discussions and opinions, so I think the question is posted in the right forum.
This makes sense to a very short extent. And I agree, 1-series owners should have a BIG call in what the car is called. BUT.. 1-series owners shouldnt be the deciding factor as to what happens with the M1.

With all that said, I DO believe an M worthy 1-series should definitely wear the ///M Badge. Just not M1.
      01-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #92
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Hey 3XTR3M3, anybody can vote in the poll and this thread is even on the homepage. If you want M owners in on it aswell why not start a thread on the M Forums with a link here.

Or ask the mods to move it.

And why are the same people who are talking about the history of the M1 name not up in arms about people wanting to call it the M Coupe when that is obviously reserved for Zeds?

I just dont understand most of the arguments here.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #93
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoHammer View Post
BMW M coupe
That's what I was thinking but that too is ambiguous with a past model so how is that really any better.
So as not to offend anyone about a car they sold a grand total of 456 of, call it either:
M1 coupe or just plain M.
2009 Montego/terra 128i 6MT (ouch)...great car

Last edited by Monterra; 01-13-2010 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #94
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Couple Facts:

1.) You're entitled to your opinion but I happen to disagree.

2.) A great number of 3 series buyers were first time BMW buyers due to its price point prior to March 2008(1er launch date). I don't see the point here. One can argue that there are more "young" 3 drivers than there are 1 since the 1 is outsold 8 to 1. I've been on this site for quite sometime and the majority of 1addicts ARE NOT noobs.

3.) I'm not even responding to this one. See #2 ^.

4.) This thread ABSOLUTELY belongs in the 1 series forum. I know this because there is a dedicated M1 Forum link at the top of the page.
      01-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #95
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
M1 is the only thing that makes sense.

If they want to build another supercar, they can call it an M10, or M80, or whatever, but an M version of a 1 Series should be called an M1, just like the 3 and 5 Series.

BMW's naming system is already screwed up to the point where it's becoming the butt of jokes in the automotive community (Xdrive 35is M anyone?) and I hate to see them take something that should be so simple, and screw it up in order to prevent reusing the name of a car that has seen production in two decades.
+1 the naming system is already screwed up, guide in BMW Munich museum told me that marking 3 is the name of the series and [3]25 has 2.5 litres engine, I corrected him that in the case of a E90/91/92 325d it is actually a 3.0 engine. I know this is a known thing to us, but even an official BMW guide got confused. Here is a pic of the current models from Munich
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #96
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
No one even knows that an M1 existed, who cares...
Many car enthusiasts and BMW fans know that the original M1 existed.
      01-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #97
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:

Who else? How bout fans of M in general? How bout fans of BMW racing and history? How bout those that have supported and continue to support BMW and its M division?

If the 1-series wants to wear an M1 badge, that should be voted by fans of M, not the 1 series. Of course you wanna wear the supercar badge! But thats not cool man... not cool. So you think 1-series owners should vote on what happens with historic M1 badge instead of M fans and owners? Really???

This makes sense to a very short extent. And I agree, 1-series owners should have a BIG call in what the car is called. BUT.. 1-series owners shouldnt be the deciding factor as to what happens with the M1.

With all that said, I DO believe an M worthy 1-series should definitely wear the ///M Badge. Just not M1.
This statement seems to be grossly flawed. You deduce that 1 series owners aren't fans of M in general, racing and history. This is a company, not a religion. Nothing is ever a done deal or set in stone. BMW is a company just like every other in which the primary goal is to make money. Our opinions only matter when it aids in reaching their financial objectives. Every single person on this board that wrote a check for any BMW financially supports the M division. They're opinions matter just as much as anybody else on here. BMW passenger cars can exist without the //M division. It's not the other way around as the M3 is their only volume seller. You seem to have it backwards. Nobody ever said that the 1addicts should have the final say. As brokenvert pointed out, this poll is on the Bimmerpost.com main page.

01-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #98
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Hey 3XTR3M3, anybody can vote in the poll and this thread is even on the homepage. If you want M owners in on it aswell why not start a thread on the M Forums with a link here.

Or ask the mods to move it.

And why are the same people who are talking about the history of the M1 name not up in arms about people wanting to call it the M Coupe when that is obviously reserved for Zeds?

I just dont understand most of the arguments here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
1.) You're entitled to your opinion but I happen to disagree.

2.) A great number of 3 series buyers were first time BMW buyers due to its price point prior to March 2008(1er launch date). I don't see the point here. One can argue that there are more "young" 3 drivers than there are 1 since the 1 is outsold 8 to 1. I've been on this site for quite sometime and the majority of 1addicts ARE NOT noobs.

3.) I'm not even responding to this one. See #2 ^.

4.) This thread ABSOLUTELY belongs in the 1 series forum. I know this because there is a dedicated M1 Forum link at the top of the page.

Guys, guys, Im not saying 1-series owners dont get a vote or your opinion dosnt matter. Not at all.

I am saying however, that this is absolutely biased. And I'm sure you guys see where I'm coming from. I strongly believe if this was posted on an M forum that the results would be much different.

the thread is titled, "The Definitive BMW M1 naming poll" and it's on the 1-series forum which (duh)makes sense cus its in regards to the 1-series.

If your goal was to get specific 1-series owners opinions on using the M1 name, you got it. You hit your goal, you got the results. BUT... thats majority of what 1-series owners think the 1-series M should be called. This is the voice of 1 owners, not M owners. Pretty biased. No??

Last edited by 3XTR3M3; 01-13-2010 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #99
smaxon1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbiz View Post
This is the turning point for BMW as a brand and family. Lets see where it goes... Money and profits or history and tradition. they already ruined most of the second part.
I don't see what 'turning point' you are refering to. Besides, profits are not a bad thing. It simply means that BMW is making products that people want.
I will happily buy an M1.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #100
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

Quote:
Guys, guys, Im not saying 1-series owners dont get a vote or your opinion dosnt matter. Not at all.

I am saying however, that this is absolutely biased. And I'm sure you guys see where I'm coming from. I strongly believe if this was posted on an M forum that the results would be much different.

the thread is titled, "The Definitive BMW M1 naming poll" and it's on the 1-series forum which (duh)makes sense cus its in regards to the 1-series.

If your goal was to get specific 1-series owners opinions on using the M1 name, you got it. You hit your goal, you got the results. BUT... thats majority of what 1-series owners think the 1-series M should be called. This is the voice of 1 owners, not M owners. Pretty biased. No??
Sure it is biased but it is also next next gen of a 1 series ... Also I bet you there are plenty of M series owner who are badge whores who think it just stands for MONEY and show off... Just as many that are probably noobs to BMW and bought the 1 series b/c it is "entry level"...either way I definitely wouldn't put them on any higher level of knowledge of the brand then 1 series owners...

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #101
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

QUESTION:

How many of you would find it OK if 10 years from now, Ferrari released a cheaper, lower end model like the Ferrari California or below it and decided to call it the Ferrari Enzo?

One might argue that 10 years is too short. Than whats acceptable? 20 years? 50 years? If 50 years later the lowest end Ferrari was called the Enzo, would you car enthusiasts find it acceptable and see no problem with it???

Come on

You cant take the 1st M cars, the BMW supercars name and slap it on a 1-series. I dont understand how this is remotely ok with car enthusiasts.
      01-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #102
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I know what you're trying to say.^

I'm sure the people who voted yes are 1 series owners.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #103
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

Quote:
QUESTION:

How many of you would find it OK if 10 years from now, Ferrari released a cheaper, lower end model like the Ferrari California or below it and decided to call it the Ferrari Enzo?

One might argue that 10 years is too short. Than whats acceptable? 20 years? 50 years? If 50 years later the lowest end Ferrari was called the Enzo, would you car enthusiasts find it acceptable and see no problem with it???

Come on

You cant take the 1st M cars, the BMW supercars name and slap it on a 1-series. I dont understand how this is remotely ok with car enthusiasts.
Your logic is flawed... Say ferrari decided to make an Enzo3, Enzo5, Enzo6 20 years later... and then finally decided to make an Enzo(non supercar version) again would be more of a comparison...

Why didn't people originally freak out when the M cars in general started being mass produced well after the original M1 was made???.. and especially giving those mass produced models numbers > 1.... to me if that was allowed than go ahead and make another M1.. who cares?

The fact BMW decided to start with the naming convention M"insert number here" after knowing what they had in the original M1 is how they shot themselves in the foot from the start... To me a naming convention should be consistent.. so since it has already been screwed up years ago then why bother trying to fix it now..

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #104
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
QUESTION:

Come on

The Enzo is only considered a highend car because it performs well. Ferrari couldve called the 430 Scuderia the 430 Enzo and people wouldve been ok with it, because both cars are in the same performance bracket.

This is why im ok with it being called an M1, because it will be a kickass little monster, just as the M1 is.

And since we are on the subject of Ferraris, people were cool with the Ferrari California being called California, even after that name took a hike for quite some time.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #105
Spartikus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twin-Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBel1214 View Post
The fact BMW decided to start with the naming convention M"insert number here" after knowing what they had in the original M1 is how they shot themselves in the foot from the start... To me a naming convention should be consistent.. so since it has already been screwed up years ago then why bother trying to fix it now..

Exactly!! Extreme, you're beating a dead horse.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #106
M2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The thread is biased because you have 1-series owners voting on the use of a legendary supercar name for a 1-series. How do you not see that?

Who cares what they call it? Exactly my point! The people saying call it an M1 obviously dont care how the name is used. Thanks for proving my point.

The post I made did not begin with "Dear M2..."
I obviously didnt say ALL 1-series drivers, nor did I single anyone out. But the fact remains.

I myself had been debating getting a 135 in addition to the M3 because I miss the I6 from my other M3s and the lighter, fun feel of my E36 M3. But that does not mean that is who 135 buyers are in general. With the M variation of the 1series on its way, Im excited and ready to buy it.

Then why are you even responding to my post? What I posted was exactly in regards to this... people voting who dont care what its called but just saying "YEAAAA M1!!!!" cus it sounds cool.
I will buy one no matter what its called. But that dosnt change the fact that M1 is a historic name and one that can be used for THEE supercar when it comes.

I am a M fan and a 1 series owner, so I believe I fit your criteria for deciding what the car is called. If it is called the ///M1 then that's what BMW Motorsport decides, not me. It's their heritage and their history that they decide.

So by saying that this forum is biased, you are saying that posting the question on the M site would be equally biased. The question was posted here because the thread creator wanted to know what we thought. So biased or not, the voting is not just limited to 1 series owners since the post link is on the main Bimmerpost page therefore everyone can vote; that is if you feel like slumming in the 1 series forum.
      01-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #107
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBel1214 View Post
Your logic is flawed... Say ferrari decided to make an Enzo3, Enzo5, Enzo6 20 years later... and then finally decided to make an Enzo(non supercar version) again would be more of a comparison...

Why didn't people originally freak out when the M cars in general started being mass produced well after the original M1 was made???.. and especially giving those mass produced models numbers > 1.... to me if that was allowed than go ahead and make another M1.. who cares?

Not really, the M1 was the first M car, the supercar. M1, make sense? Years later they decide to make a 1-series, it does well, they decide to make an M version and rob the M1 of its title and give it to the 1-series? Not cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
The Enzo is only considered a highend car because it performs well. Ferrari couldve called the 430 Scuderia the 430 Enzo and people wouldve been ok with it, because both cars are in the same performance bracket.

This is why im ok with it being called an M1, because it will be a kickass little monster, just as the M1 is.

And since we are on the subject of Ferraris, people were cool with the Ferrari California being called California, even after that name took a hike for quite some time.

But you are not calling it a 430 Enzo... you are calling it the EXACT same name as the 1st M and supercar. this is not a variation of M1, its the exact same name!!!

How do enthusiasts see this as ok??

BMW im sure was not thinking that far ahead that there would 1 day be a 1 series and they would have this dilema. But either way, you cant take the name of a supercar, the 1st M ever, the birth of M... and giive it to the 1-series.

Whatever, its not gonna happen. We'll revisit this thread when the car is released and laugh about it. Either at me or with me haha
      01-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #108
Koroush
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: nothing

Why are they even making a one series M.

They should be making a real M1.
      01-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #109
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroush View Post

And they call the 1 series owners biased...

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #110
M2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroush View Post

...there's a market for the 1 series M.

Last edited by M2; 01-13-2010 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0