BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-14-2007, 05:05 PM   #23
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
It works sometimes...
On my M Roady I got the 6 CD changer as a toss in to close the deal.
How did you approach the topic?

Did you just say "Listen. I'm not taking this car without a 6 CD changer, and I'm not paying for said item either." :wink:
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 05:45 PM   #24
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinazzurro View Post
How did you approach the topic?

Did you just say "Listen. I'm not taking this car without a 6 CD changer, and I'm not paying for said item either." :wink:
I guess we're a little spoiled in the Toronto area, there are at least 6 dealerships in the area.
I just do a little shopping, get e-mail quotes etc. & make sure I know the numbers.

I usually go to the dealership that I want to deal with LAST.
1st, NEVER mention the throw in item, EVER!
It's the very last thing before signing.

After you get the price pegged, it basically goes something like this.....
"OK, I can live with your numbers, it's almost exactly what I was quoted elsewhere.
The only difference is the other car had a doohickey(insert item here);
If YOU can can do that I'm ready to sign."
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 10:54 PM   #25
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

/\ Very slick.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 11:00 PM   #26
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

My current 07 GS350 has the comfort access type of key. I love it... I would spring for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 07:22 AM   #27
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattbam View Post
My current 07 GS350 has the comfort access type of key. I love it... I would spring for it.
I would imagine that once you've had it, it'd be hard not to order again.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 07:44 AM   #28
vintage42
Rep
Drives: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
... does anyone beside me have a problem with the bright aluminum trim in the black interior?...
No, but I think the irregular shape of the trim piece looks bad, and wish it was straight.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 11:30 AM   #29
Klinn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
Keyless go is not a stupid gimmic trend, that's the way any decent cars are going to be from now on so you don't have to fumble around for keys when you get in or out ...<snip>... You must be a luddite.
You're assuming that the key stays in your pocket which, as has been mentioned, it doesn't unless you pay an extra $500.

So now you either have to pay a lot of extra money, or go through two steps to start the car instead of just one. Disagreeing with BMW's (and other companies') fashion-driven design choices doesn't make me a Luddite. :smile:

If we ever reach the nivana of a key fob that auto-unlocks the doors as I approach, and allows push-buttons start up, AND doesn't add significantly to the cost of the car, then I'll agree it's a good idea. Until then, this two-step dance is unnecessary complication.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 11:35 AM   #30
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Which car was it that started the trend to 'Start' buttons, the Viper or the Honda S2K? Sheesh - getting old and can't remember this stuff anymore.

If they are going to give me a start button then I want a power-on toggle switch (with bright red cover) and a fuel-pump toggle switch (with bright red cover), crappy interior appointments and wide-ass 5-point seatbelts!! ; -)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #31
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Which car was it that started the trend to 'Start' buttons, the Viper or the Honda S2K? Sheesh - getting old and can't remember this stuff anymore.

If they are going to give me a start button then I want a power-on toggle switch (with bright red cover) and a fuel-pump toggle switch (with bright red cover), crappy interior appointments and wide-ass 5-point seatbelts!! ; -)
I think you're describing the interior of the original batmobile.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 11:45 AM   #32
EvanB85
This is my custom user title
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135

Quote:

NOW we're talking. And for what it's worth, I do want to say that the current gen Viper was the first mainstream car to do so.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #33
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Great question. The first car with a start button was the 1913 Locomobile, read my earlier comments further up in this thread. I even included an article with a cached search which includes "first push button start"

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=us

Start buttons were also to be found in (but not limited to) mid-1950's Chevrolets and Chryslers, and 1960's British sports cars like the Austin Healey Sprite. Its great to know your history.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #34
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Ah - not the ones on the floorboards ; -)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 01:22 PM   #35
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Ah - not the ones on the floorboards ; -)
+100 bonus points for knowing your stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 01:33 PM   #36
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I would imagine that once you've had it, it'd be hard not to order again.
yeah especially since it was standard with the lexus. :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #37
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
+100 bonus points for knowing your stuff.
I don't know jack diddly - I'm just that old. Hell, somewhere around here I've got the starting sequence for a Model T written down (got to drive one a few years ago - sheesh, talk about eccentric!).
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 02:34 PM   #38
gwballin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

As others have mentioned, I like the idea of the push button start and do not mind its location. However, I will not go through the trouble of the two step start.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #39
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

No...I think it looks good where it is it makes the interior look not so plain
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 10:38 PM   #40
mexglx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Keyless go is not a stupid gimmic trend, that's the way any decent cars are going to be from now on so you don't have to fumble around for keys when you get in or out. Its a hell of a lot easier than a key will ever be. In fact, push button start was the way all cars were originally built when the first electric starters replaced manual cranking of the engine. There was no key and tumbler for the ignition switch...that came about years later as an anti-theft device. It took wireless technology to return the pushbutton start to a feasable technology today. The keyed ignition switch is in fact the temporary trend whose time is now over.

And as far as pushbutton transmissions go, its not the Edsel days anymore. The new Aston Martins have push button transmission controls right under the A/C vents in the center console and its a very smart idea that gives useful room in the center console right where a big stupid waste of space shift lever normally resides. You must be a luddite.

Um..You missed the part where you still have to insert the key for the button to work. Unless you shell out the $500. inserting and twisting vs. inserting and pushing is the same effort (not easier or harder) but the button is still a gimmick.

As far as push buttons trannies, you sound like you would want an autobox. Because so much room is wasted by the shifter. How about a joystick instead so you can save room consumed by the steering wheel. oh, oh...and we can remove the all the stereo switches and put them on the stick like a fighter plane too. And those pesky pedals...maybe you can have your mom use them on the passenger side since they would encumber your driving space.

Finally, If I was a luddite I would embrace the push button, since it was old school as you point out. Instead I'm just not following the herd of rental car owners who like the bright shiny button my sheepish friend. Baaaaa.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 04:46 PM   #41
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Flamage aside, I'd be happier without a push button if I didn't plan on shelling out the $500 for Comfort Access

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0