E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > One BAD night

01-29-2006, 08:41 AM   #1
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

One BAD night

So I was driving last night and a good friend of mine plowed into the back of my car. I was at a stoplight and she just did not stop and rammed right into the back of the car. This is all before next week when my black lines, my rims, and my springs were coming in for my car, which I ordered in November. As soon as it happened, I jumped out of the car because smoke was coming out of the air vents. I had a girl in my car that luckily remained very calm and got out to go comfort the girl who hit the car who was BAWLING. BMW called as soon as it happened. IT scared me at first because I heard a voice coming from my car “Mr. Wright, Mr. Wright are you ok?” So I talked to the BMW people who did not know SHIT about my car. I had to tell the model number, the plate number, the color and the year of the car. I had to tell them all of this information minutes after my first accident (I’m only 16). Then BMW says they are sending a tow truck. One and a half hours later it still is not there but tons of other non-flatbed trucks are like swarming my car trying to take it. So my car was just sitting in the middle of the busiest intersections in Houston (Westheimer) The car that hit it was a tahoe Z71 with a cattle guard. The damage to my car is pretty severe. The entire trunk is pretty much caved in and it does not start anymore. The part that really concerned me was the fact that smoke was coming from the air vents. Does anyone know what that could be from?

Typically, how much damage has to be done to the car for the insurance company to declare it totaled. What a night… I was thinking about how I had survived the dreadful” first six months” and then this happens…..

I will go take pictures Monday and post them and keep you guys updated.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 08:51 AM   #2
BMWE90LOVER
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

Ahhh! that really sucks. One of my friends got rearended by another one of my friends(he was not looking where he was going), but the damage was minimal (luckily). I think that the damage has to to near the value of the car to fix before they call it totaled, but I'm not sure. I hope your friends alright, man that blows
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 08:56 AM   #3
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399@mac.com
So I was driving last night and a good friend of mine plowed into the back of my car. I was at a stoplight and she just did not stop and rammed right into the back of the car. This is all before next week when my black lines, my rims, and my springs were coming in for my car, which I ordered in November. As soon as it happened, I jumped out of the car because smoke was coming out of the air vents. I had a girl in my car that luckily remained very calm and got out to go comfort the girl who hit the car who was BAWLING. BMW called as soon as it happened. IT scared me at first because I heard a voice coming from my car “Mr. Wright, Mr. Wright are you ok?” So I talked to the BMW people who did not know SHIT about my car. I had to tell the model number, the plate number, the color and the year of the car. I had to tell them all of this information minutes after my first accident (I’m only 16). Then BMW says they are sending a tow truck. One and a half hours later it still is not there but tons of other non-flatbed trucks are like swarming my car trying to take it. So my car was just sitting in the middle of the busiest intersections in Houston (Westheimer) The car that hit it was a tahoe Z71 with a cattle guard. The damage to my car is pretty severe. The entire trunk is pretty much caved in and it does not start anymore. The part that really concerned me was the fact that smoke was coming from the air vents. Does anyone know what that could be from?

Typically, how much damage has to be done to the car for the insurance company to declare it totaled. What a night… I was thinking about how I had survived the dreadful” first six months” and then this happens…..

I am deeply sorry to hear about your crash! I know this will sound dumb, but be happy that you made it out of such a big incident without injury!

To anwer your question, the smoke coming out of the air vents was likely smoke from the discharge of the Pyrotechnic Seat-belt tensioners... these tensioners actually use a very small explosive charge to reel in the belt in case of an accident and keep you against the seat... if your airbags went off (you didn't mention) the smoke could have come from that as well.

I don't know if you realize this, but the car won't start because the crash sensor tripped... this means that the Battery Safety Terminal tripped which essentially means that the car killed the like between your battery and the fuel pump. It is a safety feature to avoid the car blowing up after a crash
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 08:56 AM   #4
Booster
Pave The Rainforest
Rep
Drives: Wagon

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Sorry about your luck. I highly doubt it is a total though. Here in Ohio, there needs to be over 60% damage of what the car is worth for even an insurance guy to look at it.

I just recently did an estimate on an 04 330ci with the performance package. Car was involved in a slight rollover. By slight I mean none of the bags went off, but the windshield and roof were caved in.... As of Friday, I have written 18k worth of parts and still isnt close to being a total
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 09:13 AM   #5
magamaga
-
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Wow hunter. Tough luck. So sorry to hear that is how it happened. I thought you had done the damage yourself. So much for planning for next weekends meet. Was your Eisenmann exhaust good, loud or too loud? What do you mean by V1 Hardwire in your car specs?
[quoute]
Jet black 325i/Premium/PDC/Sirius/Step/Burl trim/V1 Hardwire/Alarm/ CF lip/ Eisenmann 76mm Race Exhaust/
[/quote]
325i Sparkling Graphite/Navigation/Steptronic/HeatedSeats/ DRL Angel Eyes/Metal Pedals/Tail Pipe Tips/Rear BMW Spoiler/BMWAlarm/LoJack/BlackLineTailLights/Hardwired BeltronicsProfessionalRX65RadarDetector/Rear FogLights/Debadged/LUX 5.0/ACS Roof Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
BeemMeUp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Hunter, Sorry to hear about your accident and I'm glad nobody got hurt, well except for your Beamer. We all know you was putting a lot of work into it. Don't forget to post some pictures when you can...

E90 330i / SG / Biege / Burl / ZPP / Heated Seats / Steptronic / CA / PDC / ACC / iDrive / Sirius-prep
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 09:53 AM   #7
Hunter399
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3
I am deeply sorry to hear about your crash! I know this will sound dumb, but be happy that you made it out of such a big incident without injury!

To anwer your question, the smoke coming out of the air vents was likely smoke from the discharge of the Pyrotechnic Seat-belt tensioners... these tensioners actually use a very small explosive charge to reel in the belt in case of an accident and keep you against the seat... if your airbags went off (you didn't mention) the smoke could have come from that as well.

I don't know if you realize this, but the car won't start because the crash sensor tripped... this means that the Battery Safety Terminal tripped which essentially means that the car killed the like between your battery and the fuel pump. It is a safety feature to avoid the car blowing up after a crash
No airbags went off..
I will be going to see her tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 10:14 AM   #8
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1989 Ugo

Hows the eisenmann? Did it get totalled as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 10:17 AM   #9
Hunter399
Major General
Rep

No, it looked fine.
She had one of those big grill gaurds, so it dident hit the car as low as the muffler
Her grill gaurd was bent pretty badly if that tells you anything about how fast she was going and how hard she hit me
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 10:21 AM   #10
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No, it looked fine.
She had one of those big grill gaurds, so it dident hit the car as low as the muffler
Her grill gaurd was bent pretty badly if that tells you anything about how fast she was going and how hard she hit me
You should tell her to chill out with the tailgating.

Then to show you her titties because she damaged your car! LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 10:26 AM   #11
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:

Wow that is a bad night. The important thing is everyone is physically ok, cars can be fixed or replaced.

As far as insurance goes, it depends on the insurance carrier your friend has. I assume a police report was written and will cite for friend for being at fault for failing to control her vehicle.

In Texas, (my mom worked for State Farm for almost 25 years in Corsicana) the damage typically needs to run about 75-80% of the value of the vehicle. The only caveat to that is if there is severe damage to the frame of the vehicle. If that occurs, they will total the car regardless of the % of damage. So basically, if the value of your car is $30,000, you've be looking at about $22,500 worth of damage to have occurred for them consider totaling it.

Having insurance companies total 1,2,3 yr. old cars is not a common thing since the value of the cars in still high and it takes a big accident to cause enough $ damage. Look at it this way, even if you drove a 1 yr. old Kia worth $10,000 you'd still have to sustain $7,500 worth of damage to the car for it to be totaled.

Good luck with everything.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 10:28 AM   #12
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Since the car was hit in the back odds are they will not total the car... With a brand new car, it would take a good hit to the front for the car to be totaled.

It just may take a while to get it fixed because I'm not sure how many spare parts have made their way over to the states yet.

Anyway that sucks... "I feel your pain"
Atleast BMW assist did what it was supposed to, that's good...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 10:31 AM   #13
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Oh yea.. BTW the car probally wont start because of the fuel cutoff (designed to stop the engine when the car senses a collision). It needs to be reset manually from what I understand
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 10:32 AM   #14
Hunter399
Major General
Rep

BMW assist took FOREVER to get the tow truck
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 10:35 AM   #15
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

That is terrible! It's actually my biggest fear that someone will drive into the back of me, because you have no control over such things!

At least you are okay though - hopefully no neck injuries.

It sucks that it was a good friend who drove into you too :/
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 10:37 AM   #16
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW assist took FOREVER to get the tow truck
That probally wasn't their fault... They passed the call on to their local shop, and they took forever to get out to you. Same thing has happened to me when I had AAA and needed a tow.. Those kind of calls seem to be low priority for the drives since your not paying them right there and they probaly have some negotiated low rate.

I spend alot of time in Houston for my job and I know the road you are talking about... Really busy and so many things to pay attention to. I've almost been hit around there a couple of times myself...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 11:02 AM   #17
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

It's a good bet your E90 protected you from serious injury. From your description there is a chance the frame has been damaged. It will take an expert to evaluate. Hard to look on the sunny side in such circumstances, but cars can be replaced, people cannot.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 11:05 AM   #18
Hunter399
Major General
Rep

I forgot to mention that the car was pushed more than 12 feet with my foot planted on the brake pedal.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 11:39 AM   #19
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i

deeply sorry to hear the bad news dude =( and daymnnnn whats up with ur friend's driving??? tailgating and stuff??? gd luck dude
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 11:44 AM   #20
Hunter399
Major General
Rep

Do you guys think that the fact that the car was pushed so far it might have damaged the frame of the car?
And if so, is there anyway to fix that?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #21
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399
Do you guys think that the fact that the car was pushed so far it might have damaged the frame of the car?
And if so, is there anyway to fix that?
Yes the rear part of the frame could have been pushed into the main body. When I hit a tree last month, I assumed that since it was only the front right bumper, the damage would only be the front bumper cover, front reinforcement, and headlight washer. BUT, they said the front part of the frame was pushed into the main body, hence my inability to open my hood. They had to straighten the frame in order to open the hood once again. In your case it seems like the damage is more severe than my accident. You better pray that they assume your vehicle as totalled. I wouldn't want to drive a car that is as badly damaged as you described. Even if they could repair it again.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 11:57 AM   #22
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear about your accident, but like others have said, the most important thing is that you and your friends are okay. The damage is fixable or replaceable.

Many cars have a fuel cutoff switch that works when in an accident. This is a safety feature and I wonder if our BMWs have that. If so, this may explain why your car is not starting.

I hope the friend who rear-ended you has insurance.