BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-12-2021, 10:26 PM   #1
blackcarbon92
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

(DCT) Should you downshift into 1st gear?

2011 135i DCT -
When driving in manual mode usually I do not downshift into 1st gear and let the car automatically downshift to 1st when the vehicle comes to a stop. Is this correct or is it ok to downshift into 1st when rolling still at a decent speed? Is this bad for the transmission or should i just keep it in 2nd untill i come to a stop and it auto downshifts to 1st? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 10:40 AM   #2
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

I never down shift into 1st mostly because it's not very smooth. Plus the rev matching loudness coming to a stop with other cars around is a little embarrassing.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2021, 11:33 AM   #3
WilsoN55
N55 E82 DCT /// N57 F10 Daily <--
Canada
Rep
Drives: N55 E82 DCT /// N57 F10

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535Dx  [0.00]
There is no doubt it puts a bit more stress on the driveline but does that stress assure failure? I think not. I don't generally downshift into 1st because I generally don't see a benefit - even from 2nd takeoff is quite smooth.. if I want to induce wheelspin from a creeping roll.. sure, but in usual daily driving I don't find myself reaching for 1st very often.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2021, 11:46 AM   #4
blackcarbon92
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsoN55 View Post
There is no doubt it puts a bit more stress on the driveline but does that stress assure failure? I think not. I don't generally downshift into 1st because I generally don't see a benefit - even from 2nd takeoff is quite smooth.. if I want to induce wheelspin from a creeping roll.. sure, but in usual daily driving I don't find myself reaching for 1st very often.
Thanks for the input. as you said generally i don't downshift because the vehicle has enough power even to start from 2nd gear. Due to the engine having enough power to start from 2nd does that cause any excess stress on the clutch when you do start off from 2nd?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 02:59 PM   #5
hardcoreracing
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

shifting

If you don't do it in a manual car, don't do it in a car with DCT.

Any reason why you don't just leave it in automatic mode?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 03:05 PM   #6
blackcarbon92
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcoreracing View Post

That's what i figured, unless you are rolling very slowly i guess it could be appropriate but I am going to avoid it.

My first dct vehicle so i'm still learning but i do understand the concept of it as being an automated manual transmission almost, apart from that it has its 2 clutches each for odd and even gears.

It's much more fun in manual mode obviously for spirited driving. When just cruising i leave it in auto but who doesn't love the fun of shifting your own gears!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 03:40 PM   #7
WilsoN55
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535Dx  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcarbon92 View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the input. as you said generally i don't downshift because the vehicle has enough power even to start from 2nd gear. Due to the engine having enough power to start from 2nd does that cause any excess stress on the clutch when you do start off from 2nd?
no matter how you drive, you're going to place some stress on the driveline.. starting from 2nd shouldn't contribute to any undue clutch wear assuming the transmission is calibrated properly. The DCT in these cars are quite good under normal/spirited use.. don't be afraid to use it. I would as a rule of thumb, try not to downshift into 1st if it take your revs above 3k rpm. don't creep at stoplights and try to use the gearing like a manual, don't shift needlessly.

FYI - I removed the creep function to my DCT so it only engages when the gas pedal is pressed, I used xHP transmission flash to do this. I like how it drives much better.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 03:44 PM   #8
WilsoN55
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535Dx  [0.00]
Quote:

for myself, I find that if I put the car in S mode that the DCT jumps down too many gears and really tries to wring it out, to no positive effect. eg. low in 4th gear I just want to roll up the rpm range smoothly, press on the gas, auto jumps to 5k rpm in 2nd then shifts 3rd and back to 4th.. I just wanted to roll on from the bottom of 4th. manual mode let's me ensure I get that.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 03:45 PM   #9
blackcarbon92
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcarbon92 View Post
Quote:
no matter how you drive, you're going to place some stress on the driveline.. starting from 2nd shouldn't contribute to any undue clutch wear assuming the transmission is calibrated properly. The DCT in these cars are quite good under normal/spirited use.. don't be afraid to use it. I would as a rule of thumb, try not to downshift into 1st if it take your revs above 3k rpm. don't creep at stoplights and try to use the gearing like a manual, don't shift needlessly.

FYI - I removed the creep function to my DCT so it only engages when the gas pedal is pressed, I used xHP transmission flash to do this. I like how it drives much better.
Awesome thanks for the info. One of the first things i was told is not to creep in traffic so I have been making sure of that. I was looking into xhp flashes but i checked online about a month ago and it was something a bit pricey something like $300 for the map pack plus another bit of money for the flash tool. Currently that's a bit out of my price range. Is that how much you paid or am i missing something? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 03:52 PM   #10
blackcarbon92
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

for myself, I find that if I put the car in S mode that the DCT jumps down too many gears and really tries to wring it out, to no positive effect. eg. low in 4th gear I just want to roll up the rpm range smoothly, press on the gas, auto jumps to 5k rpm in 2nd then shifts 3rd and back to 4th.. I just wanted to roll on from the bottom of 4th. manual mode let's me ensure I get that.
Yes i have found that aswell which is why I only tend to either keep it in fully auto or in fully manual instead of S. I'm tuned with Mhd stage 1 and in the S mode, as you said wrings it out and i feel after about 6-6500 rpm it's just cooking the air and there is no benefit.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2021, 10:05 PM   #11
hardcoreracing
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Quote:
One of the first things i was told is not to creep in traffic so I have been making sure of that
Yeah don't creep, only newbs do that lol. I have never had a problem keeping my foot on the brake pedal and everytime I see someone start creeping next to me I'm thinking light is still red dude, why you moving?

Xhp is well worth the money. You can alter the shift points somewhat and tailor them to the way you like.

When I drive to work I leave it in regular drive mode with vehicle stability control off and dynamic traction control on, then when other drivers try to overtake me I switch over to S mode and push the sport mode button on. Then if someone really wants to go crazy I switch to full manual mode.
Appreciate 1