E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > MP3 CD does play on Pro sat Nav system single CD player..

03-19-2006, 05:42 PM   #1
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320 D, March 2006,

Smile MP3 CD does play on Pro sat Nav system single CD player..

Hi All,

Just got my 320d nicely loaded built 28 Feb 2006 model yesterday.

From reading lots of posts on this forum, I got the impression that I was not going to be able to play MP3 discs on my system as I have the iDrive Professional Sat Nav system - single cd no multichanger.

However, I put my MP3 CD into the single CD player (above the DVD Nav slot) and it plays fine along with the track info etc...

Now maybe I have missed some threads and you all know this in which case.. sorry...

But if this is news to you.. maybe my car has a newer software release and it's about time you asked for an upgrade.

I must say that I prefer the Nav screens of my wifes's E46 Nav.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 06:39 PM   #2
330eye
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I BLK/BLK/SP/PP/NAV/CA

Garage List
2006 330I  [0.00]
MP3 was added to all production starting in December 2005.
This includes the CD changer as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2006, 12:53 AM   #3
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep

Well thank goodness I ordered when I did, as it solved my iPod dilema...

I just need to get burnin'....

Dave
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2006, 11:05 AM   #4
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep

Question MP3's on the DVD Nav slot?? maybe!!

Following on from my CD playing MP3's .. I noticed that tye iDrive allows me to select the DVD player as the source....

My dealer says they have never seen this before and that maybe as my car is so new this may be a new option!!!

I only wish... with 4.5Gb available that will be a hell of an MP3 player!!

Has anyone else with a new E90 with Pro Sat Nav and Idrive seen this or tried it only to find out it does not work... if so let me know as I do not want to trash my new Nav player for nothing..

Dave
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2006, 12:46 PM   #5
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 320dSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakdraft
Following on from my CD playing MP3's .. I noticed that tye iDrive allows me to select the DVD player as the source....
I only wish... with 4.5Gb available that will be a hell of an MP3 player!!
It does work, but you'd lose the Nav. The Nav is useful even if you know where you are going, as you can still view TMC data on the map without a route being set. I tend to leave it like this on the way to work.

I bought the CD changer option and I burn about 9 audio CDs worth of 128k wma files onto each CD. (Note wma files don't work in the dash CD and DVD slots, but give a better quality/size tradeoff).

I don't normally use the dash CD slot.

The CD changer gives me a little under 4GB of compressed audio, about 50 CDs worth. If I get bored with that, I can always change the cassette!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2006, 04:39 PM   #6
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Well thank goodness I ordered when I did, as it solved my iPod dilema...

I just need to get burnin'....

Dave
You can meet other burners at the first UK meet, Dave!

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2006, 05:13 PM   #7
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk
You can meet other burners at the first UK meet, Dave!
That's mighty kind of you to consider me for the meet.

Unfortunately I have two young kids and very little free time due to camping etc... But I will keep an eye out in case it's possible at some point.

I checked out your video's .. great

Thanks again

Dave

P.S. I am wondering if I am the only person on this forum who bought the automatic drop down towing hitch option... It's really the dogs b*!@*cks...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2006, 01:09 AM   #8
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
P.S. I am wondering if I am the only person on this forum who bought the automatic drop down towing hitch option... It's really the dogs b*!@*cks...
Excuse us while we go for a second (talk amongst yourselves or something).
I have that as well. As you say, it is the mutts nuts (Should be as well for 600GBP!). To save you getting your hands dirty or messing about with the supplied gloves, You'll find that you can lock it in both positions with your foot easiliy enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2006, 02:23 PM   #9
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by London320d
It does work, but you'd lose the Nav. The Nav is useful even if you know where you are going, as you can still view TMC data on the map without a route being set. I tend to leave it like this on the way to work.

I bought the CD changer option and I burn about 9 audio CDs worth of 128k wma files onto each CD. (Note wma files don't work in the dash CD and DVD slots, but give a better quality/size tradeoff).

I don't normally use the dash CD slot.

The CD changer gives me a little under 4GB of compressed audio, about 50 CDs worth. If I get bored with that, I can always change the cassette!
Back on Topic again...

To clarify (as my dealer isn't convinced enough to give me permission to try it ! ) I need the following questions:

London 320d or anyone else...

1. Have you actually tried it playing MP3'sin your sat Nav DVD slot?
2. Did you use a CD and did it play?
3. Did you try a DVD with MP3's on and did it play?

I hope the answer to all 3 are yes!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2006, 03:04 PM   #10
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
I have only personally tried an MP3 CD in the DVD drive. I don't recall if I tried an audio CD at the same time. The rest is what I've read, so regard my statement of Audio CD and DVD MP3 disk functionality as heresay. I didn't personally have any reason to dig deeper as I had the changer and had made a decision that the Nav drive would remain that. I have seen a Video DVD placed in an E90 nav slot without any smoke (no picture either!). It just said something like bad disk and waited for the disk to be ejected.

From my knowledge of software and hardware engineering, I'd say that a designer would have to be really stupid to design something in a way that could be damaged/locked up by inserting the wrong DVD/CD (I'm obviously excluding code execution/upgrading etc here for the pedants out there!).
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #11
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Back on Topic again...

To clarify (as my dealer isn't convinced enough to give me permission to try it ! ) I need the following questions:

London 320d or anyone else...

I hope the answer to all 3 are yes!
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes!

After having the CIP20 update & mp3 retrofit, I've been able to also play wma files in the CD changer, but not in the drives in the head unit- not really a problem when you have 4.7Gb worth of music on the dvd drive & about that much in total on the 7 other CD drives!

Appreciate 0