BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
e82mon
The Ice Cream Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Top off or change oil?

Hey guys, I'd figure i'd post this question i have because i could really use some advise on the topic. My car has been fine, and i recently checked the oil on the nav screen, and its about a quarter from being at the minimum mark. I have about 6k miles on the car, and its a lease. I'm trying to do everything i can to not have to go to the dealer, so the question is do i just put more oil into the car, or do i change it entirely.. Also, if i have a trustworthy mechanic shop do it, what happens if they put a different type of oil in the car than what is already in there.. could bad things happen? I'm feeling like i just want to have the oil changed all together, and just have one type of oil in it without risking anything, but something tells me i should just wait till i get a oil message saying needs more oil... any input is greatly appreciated.. thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
My dealership told me when it comes up with the low oil warning, to just drive it up to them, and they'll top it off for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Check your oil level using the turn signal stalk switch on the gauge cluster. It gives you a better reading of overall oil level.
I personally do every 4k-5k oil change intervals...but whatever you want to do is up to you.
      05-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
e82mon
The Ice Cream Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
My dealership told me when it comes up with the low oil warning, to just drive it up to them, and they'll top it off for me.
Thanks for the input mega, so basically even though i have 6k miles i should just top it off oppose to changing it all out? then eventually just let the dealer change it at the 15k service?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

With 6k miles on the oil just change it.
      05-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

There is no 15k service (read the manual). You'll get a free oil change from your dealer when the dash countdown approaches zero or when one year has elapsed from delivery, whichever comes first.

If you wait until it calls for one quart, the dealer will top it off for you but if you want to change it early, it's on your dime.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
There is no 15k service (read the manual). You'll get a free oil change from your dealer when the dash countdown approaches zero or when one year has elapsed from delivery, whichever comes first.

If you wait until it calls for one quart, the dealer will top it off for you but if you want to change it early, it's on your dime.

Tom
Very true. If you are close to an oil change just top it off, but I will still go with my prior post if it is going to be quite some time before the 15k/1 year change.
      05-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by e82mon View Post
Hey guys, I'd figure i'd post this question i have because i could really use some advise on the topic. My car has been fine, and i recently checked the oil on the nav screen, and its about a quarter from being at the minimum mark. I have about 6k miles on the car, and its a lease. I'm trying to do everything i can to not have to go to the dealer, so the question is do i just put more oil into the car, or do i change it entirely.. Also, if i have a trustworthy mechanic shop do it, what happens if they put a different type of oil in the car than what is already in there.. could bad things happen? I'm feeling like i just want to have the oil changed all together, and just have one type of oil in it without risking anything, but something tells me i should just wait till i get a oil message saying needs more oil... any input is greatly appreciated.. thanks guys
Assuming you don't plan on keeping the car after the lease and you don't care about the next owner, there's not a lot of reason to do anything other than the BMW required service. In that case, top up and don't worry about it.

If you think you might keep the car at the end of the lease or you actually care about the next owner, then you enter the whole debate about whether or not only doing the BMW recommended 15K changes is bad for your car. In that case you should read the many heated threads on the topic in order to decide what you feel most comfortable doing.
Appreciate 0