BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2020, 01:25 PM   #23
tavish
Rep
Drives: 08 128i, 95 M3, 88 325ix 2 dr

We recently had a 135i performance exhaust installed on our 128i.
We used the y pipe and the whole package unlike most who just hack it off at the muffler. Its fantastic. Totally civilized. No cabin drone at all. You have to have your windows down to hear anything. Once you get to third gear, wind noise is louder than the exhaust. It will pop and burble but its never loud and won't wake up the neighbors. Fantastic mod that won't get you in trouble but adds a great deal of fun when you want it to.
Appreciate 1
b1aze565.50
      06-18-2020, 12:03 AM   #24
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

The BMWP exhaust is subdued compared to some. It's absolutely fine for highway cruising with no drone at all (with resonators in place). The tone is perfect, but I sometimes wish it could be a little louder. I would definitely recommend replacing the stock intake tube with a smooth silicone tube. The increased intake and exhaust noise complement each other very well.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 01:33 PM   #25
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
The BMWP exhaust is subdued compared to some. It's absolutely fine for highway cruising with no drone at all (with resonators in place). The tone is perfect, but I sometimes wish it could be a little louder. I would definitely recommend replacing the stock intake tube with a smooth silicone tube. The increased intake and exhaust noise complement each other very well.
Does the intake tube/silencer delete increase noise that much? My MD tends to get a bit too loud for my taste at highway cruising speeds (~2.9k @ 80mph, 6MT) so I usually turn my music up. Is it pleasant around town?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 05:07 PM   #26
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

Yes, the intake tube makes quite a lot of difference, pleasantly so. You don't notice it below around 3k RPM, but above that it really stands out.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 06:16 PM   #27
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Yes, the intake tube makes quite a lot of difference, pleasantly so. You don't notice it below around 3k RPM, but above that it really stands out.
Where did you get your silicone intake tube?

What's the diameter of it

I took my air filter box off to remove the carbon filter and change the filter, and I noticed the plastic tube is pretty sh*tty, I assume because the plastic is old and took a beating from the heat and cold. Also even though it had those hose clamps it didn't seem all that secure. I mean I doubt it will come off but it just felt like lower quality to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 07:31 PM   #28
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Makis View Post
Where did you get your silicone intake tube?

What's the diameter of it

I took my air filter box off to remove the carbon filter and change the filter, and I noticed the plastic tube is pretty sh*tty, I assume because the plastic is old and took a beating from the heat and cold. Also even though it had those hose clamps it didn't seem all that secure. I mean I doubt it will come off but it just felt like lower quality to me.
Revmotoring on eBay is the go-to inlet tube. Very happy with fit and finish of mine
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #29
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

Many people complain that their silicone intake tubes are too short and I have to agree. If it were just 1 cm longer, it would have been a lot easier to install. I don't understand why they can't get the length right. I bought the Mishimoto branded one, but I think they're all pretty much the same.

Forget about power, you shouldn't notice a difference, but the improved sound makes for a much better driving experience.

Appreciate 1
kaputt684.50
      06-30-2020, 02:26 PM   #30
robblr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
Revmotoring on eBay is the go-to inlet tube. Very happy with fit and finish of mine
I picked one up last week on your recommendation. Under 30 minutes to install. I thought the length was fine. I also added a K&N and charcoal-deleted airbox I found in the classifieds for not much more than the cost of a new K&N. Paired with the 135i PE I had welded on two weeks ago, I'm quite content. At first, I found it a little underwhelming but now I've come to appreciate it. Calm and collected below 3k, but it screams when you put the pedal to the floor all the way to redline.
Appreciate 1
asbrr542.00
      06-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #31
xxatticus
1er
Rep
Drives: 128i MSport 6MT - Lemans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by robblr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
I picked one up last week on your recommendation. Under 30 minutes to install. I thought the length was fine. I also added a K&N and charcoal-deleted airbox I found in the classifieds for not much more than the cost of a new K&N. Paired with the 135i PE I had welded on two weeks ago, I'm quite content. At first, I found it a little underwhelming but now I've come to appreciate it. Calm and collected below 3k, but it screams when you put the pedal to the floor all the way to redline.
This is interesting. I just had my 135i PE welded on a few months ago and want a little more volume out of it. Did the inlet tube get you more volume? I'm also not super familiar with what / where the inlet tube is.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 07:58 PM   #32
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxatticus View Post
This is interesting. I just had my 135i PE welded on a few months ago and want a little more volume out of it. Did the inlet tube get you more volume? I'm also not super familiar with what / where the inlet tube is.
FWIW, I just did a Dinan-style intake snorkel and I got more exhaust note at WOT for sure, but I’ve also got the inlet tube, charcoal delete and panel filter. I am considering a resonator delete next.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:53 PM   #33
Suhb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Coupe 6-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Popov View Post
Can anyone comment on the different in tone/volume between the PE and a muffler delete? Unfortunately YT videos don't do a great job of comparing (if there's much of a different that is). Currently running a MD but considering the PE if it will keep things a bit more civil at cruising RPMs
Volume wise, they're about the same.
But the PE is just a very well engineered muffler delete. The tone is definitely well defined and purposeful. It has a more racey, slightly raspy tone to it. It also makes pops and burbles off throttle.

Muffler delete is just a messier note. More lower, dronier frequencies. But it's also free so it has that going for it.
      07-13-2020, 07:20 PM   #34
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhb View Post
Volume wise, they're about the same.
But the PE is just a very well engineered muffler delete. The tone is definitely well defined and purposeful. It has a more racey, slightly raspy tone to it. It also makes pops and burbles off throttle.

Muffler delete is just a messier note. More lower, dronier frequencies. But it's also free so it has that going for it.
The MD is actually continuing to grow on me. Defiantly not the most refined sound, but I feel like it gives the car a hint of that American V8 sound while still retaining that straight 6 sound. Also provides satisfying pops/burbles on overrun, but not like an obnoxious burble tune

I have noticed some slight drone, but its really only noticeable when the back seats are folded down and I'm not listening to music.

Cost me $70 for some nice tips + $45 for the job, and saves ~35lbs. Might consider the PE w/ Y pipe if $700 falls in my lap, but for now I'm pretty happy.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 04:53 PM   #35
aaronblack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Can anyone comment on the different in tone/volume between the PE and a muffler delete? Unfortunately YT videos don't do a great job of comparing (if there's much of a different that is). Currently running a MD but considering the PE if it will keep things a bit more civil at cruising RPMs
I've had both and PE does sound a bit better in sense it's not too loud and it sounds sportier.

However if considering the price I would say muffler delete is just as good or at least very close sound to the PE maybe a tad bit more drone that's all.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 11:36 PM   #36
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblack View Post
I've had both and PE does sound a bit better in sense it's not too loud and it sounds sportier.

However if considering the price I would say muffler delete is just as good or at least very close sound to the PE maybe a tad bit more drone that's all.
Would you say the price of the PE is justified for a daily? I do quite a bit of highway driving and have noticed some occasional drone, and a bit less noise would be nice. The more refined tone is appealing (especially with the y-pipe), but I don't think that alone is reason enough to pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 03:22 PM   #37
munkie
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavish View Post
We recently had a 135i performance exhaust installed on our 128i.
We used the y pipe and the whole package unlike most who just hack it off at the muffler. Its fantastic. Totally civilized. No cabin drone at all. You have to have your windows down to hear anything. Once you get to third gear, wind noise is louder than the exhaust. It will pop and burble but its never loud and won't wake up the neighbors. Fantastic mod that won't get you in trouble but adds a great deal of fun when you want it to.
Does the Y pipe replace the catalytic converter? If you use the Y pipe, do you still have to cut and weld? Having a hard time understanding how the Y pipe fits in...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 03:43 AM   #38
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkie View Post
Does the Y pipe replace the catalytic converter? If you use the Y pipe, do you still have to cut and weld? Having a hard time understanding how the Y pipe fits in...

Thanks!
The y pipe only deletes the resonator. Cutting will be required if you're installing on a 128i regardless of whether or not you use the y pipe as it is all one piece from the headers back, unlike the 135i. Clamps are included, but it can also welded. If you're just installing the muffler you'll have to either cut the flange off of the muffler, or have one welded on to your stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 04:14 PM   #39
munkie
Rep

Quote:
The y pipe only deletes the resonator. Cutting will be required if you're installing on a 128i regardless of whether or not you use the y pipe as it is all one piece from the headers back, unlike the 135i. Clamps are included, but it can also welded. If you're just installing the muffler you'll have to either cut the flange off of the muffler, or have one welded on to your stock exhaust.
Awesome, thank you for the reply. So using the Y pipe should make the exhaust note louder? Is there another reason to do Y pipe or not?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 06:40 AM   #40
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkie View Post
Awesome, thank you for the reply. So using the Y pipe should make the exhaust note louder? Is there another reason to do Y pipe or not?
Deleting the resonator adds more tone than volume. I've never heard it in person, but I've heard a few of 135i guys complaining about drone. Not sure if it would be the same on the 128i. I'd do some research before pulling the trigger.
I know there's someone on this forum running the y-pipe into a 135i corsa muffler on a 128i and likes it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 09:11 AM   #41
munkie
Rep

Quote:
Deleting the resonator adds more tone than volume. I've never heard it in person, but I've heard a few of 135i guys complaining about drone. Not sure if it would be the same on the 128i. I'd do some research before pulling the trigger.
I know there's someone on this forum running the y-pipe into a 135i corsa muffler on a 128i and likes it.
That's all I needed to know! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!!
Appreciate 0