BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
FS993
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

"Market Price" of a slightly used 1M

No need to create controversy here, but I wanted opinions on how to advertise my 1M if what I'm looking for is "market price". I know a lot of people in this forum would not buy (or sell?) their cars for a penny over MSRP, but I guess I'm one of those who believes in an open market.

In any case, some of you know from an earlier post that I'm leaving the US for at least a couple of years and am considering selling the car. It is AW, has less than 3K miles and is like new. Only options are Harman Kardon, iPod USB, BMW assist and bluetooth.

Other than putting it on ebay, other ideas to determine market price? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

You believe in an open market cuz your on the selling side? Or are you seeking some kind of approval here. My opinion is MSRP MINUS 5K. Wich to me would be fair deal
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Sorry to hear that you are STILL considering selling your car...

Seriously though.... With those options... the car was around 50K original price... Car is just about unobtainable.. but has been driven nearly 3K... Which means OWNED... and not just driven. I would bet that it could sell for around 52K. That's not to say there isn't someone that would pay more... if you really are selling it... you need just one buyer...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS993 View Post
No need to create controversy here, but I wanted opinions on how to advertise my 1M if what I'm looking for is "market price". I know a lot of people in this forum would not buy (or sell?) their cars for a penny over MSRP, but I guess I'm one of those who believes in an open market.
If you believe in an open market, put it on eBay with no reserve and see what happens.

The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
FS993
Enlisted Member
Rep

For those who think I want "approval" by posting this. Seriously, how many people, even in this forum, would sell their cars for 45K if you know you can get, say 52-54K. I've already gotten an offer for MSRP, which for this car is ~50K

Really? Would you really leave 7-9K on the table? Wow, gs/e60/1m, I would really want to see you on the selling side to see if you really mean what you're saying.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
For those who think I want "approval" by posting this. Seriously, how many people, even in this forum, would sell their cars for 45K if you know you can get, say 52-54K. I've already gotten an offer for MSRP, which for this car is ~50K

Really? Would you really leave 7-9K on the table? Wow, gs/e60/1m, I would really want to see you on the selling side to see if you really mean what you're saying.
List it for what you want and end it with OR BEST OFFER. The market will tell you what the best offer is. Give your buyers a window. Say one week or two and collect offers on it.

Personally, if you got MSRP for a used car, that is paying a premium. that would be a good place to start.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:

List it for what you want and end it with OR BEST OFFER. The market will tell you what the best offer is. Give your buyers a window. Say one week or two and collect offers on it.

Personally, if you got MSRP for a used car, that is paying a premium. that would be a good place to start.
Well said...which is what i would do if i ever sell the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post

+1. Let the market decide and not someone's independent opinion.

Does it really matter what side of the deal one is on? A deal is agreed upon by both sides.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
FS993
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks nachob and others, this is good advice
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
the car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Asking MSRP is fair... these cars are hard to come by, and I'm sure someone would be willing to pay at least sticker. Advertise it as MSRP, OBO. Sell to the highest bidder.

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
Sy546
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, E92 M3

MSRP is reasonable IMHO. It's only shady when your asking $10K+ Msrp.

The funny thing is if you advertise it for MSRP you'll probably sell it very quickly and get offers for more than what your asking. A friend of mine was thinking about selling it with 2000 miles on it. He was offered $57,000 for an MSRP car of $54,500. He asked MSRP but got offers for even higher.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:

If you only had mentioned that you already had an offer for MSRP in your OP my answer would have been slightly different. You see where I live it's not common to ask for MSRP or even more for a used car. I for one will never pay MSRP for a used car, but in your case and being a believer in an open market i'd say go for the max by throwing it on the market thru every possible channel.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #13
FS993
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs/e60/1m? View Post
If you only had mentioned that you already had an offer for MSRP in your OP my answer would have been slightly different. You see where I live it's not common to ask for MSRP or even more for a used car. I for one will never pay MSRP for a used car, but in your case and being a believer in an open market i'd say go for the max by throwing it on the market thru every possible channel.
True. In Europe selling over MSRP is not common and even against the law for dealerships in some countries. Here in the US it is not uncommon. I'll give this a try in a few weeks since I'm not leaving until December. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #14
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Quote:
True. In Europe selling over MSRP is not common and even against the law for dealerships in some countries. Here in the US it is not uncommon. I'll give this a try in a few weeks since I'm not leaving until December. Thanks.
Just sent you a PM, would like to know what you are looking for in terms of price. I really want one, maybe we can work something out.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #15
simple_simon
Private
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

I'll be selling my loaded AW for exactly what I paid for it. Don't feel like trying to make money on the car. Would rather sell it to a fellow enthusiast at a fair price than try to make a couple of grand off the deal.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #16
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Quote:
It wouldn't be prudent to procrastinate with the listing.

Start listing it now in various media, and let the market tell you what the car is worth.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #17
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

leave it covered and sell it with 2XXX miles in 3 years when everyone's complaining about how the new M2 won't be "core" enough.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #18
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M

My starting price would be msrp plus the taxes you paid. People will make offers from there. There nothing wrong with asking what it will take you to sell something.

The last e36 m3 I built (4 door manual only 3500 imported to the us) sold for about 50% more than nada. It was a built proven winner and fully sorted. I told the guy he was over paying when he bought it. He said he knew it but thought the fact that the car was local and sorted made up for it.

So, someone that wants one will probably see msrp plus the taxes as a fair price due to the limited run. We are at the end of building this car for the us market. I cannot believe that there are a bunch spots left for builds plus the time to ship it over.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #19
Sy546
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3kerry View Post
My starting price would be msrp plus the taxes you paid. People will make offers from there. There nothing wrong with asking what it will take you to sell something.

The last e36 m3 I built (4 door manual only 3500 imported to the us) sold for about 50% more than nada. It was a built proven winner and fully sorted. I told the guy he was over paying when he bought it. He said he knew it but thought the fact that the car was local and sorted made up for it.

So, someone that wants one will probably see msrp plus the taxes as a fair price due to the limited run. We are at the end of building this car for the us market. I cannot believe that there are a bunch spots left for builds plus the time to ship it over.
Agreed. If any of the local dealers had a 1M i would have paid 1-3K over just to buy from a local dealer. Many people will pay if the car is closer to them. Remember shipping alone can cost them $1000-$2000 + the additional hassle of buying out of state. Here in NY the car is selling for a substantial premium so i would ask MSRP + taxes and take the best offer. you'll probably get around $52-$54k. I know you could here in NY.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 03:05 AM   #20
kjmez
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

I'm amazed by this thread. Particularly as it is led by friends across the pond - the talisman for capitalism and free trade. Anyone on here bought a house and sold it for a bit more? I'm no economics expert, but I believe the market works around supply and demand. Limited number of 1Ms, just about all who own want to keep, those that don't want to buy. Sell it to the buyer who wants it most. Can't think of a better way to determine who that is than to base on the offer. Good luck in Dec.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 05:05 AM   #21
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmez View Post
I'm amazed by this thread. Particularly as it is led by friends across the pond - the talisman for capitalism and free trade. Anyone on here bought a house and sold it for a bit more? I'm no economics expert, but I believe the market works around supply and demand. Limited number of 1Ms, just about all who own want to keep, those that don't want to buy. Sell it to the buyer who wants it most. Can't think of a better way to determine who that is than to base on the offer. Good luck in Dec.
Exactly! It's really as simple as that.
There is nothing morally wrong with letting the market tell you what something is worth, whether you're in the US or elsewhere. Supply & demand is a universal, fair concept. (As long as the seller adheres to the rules that he has established for the particular sale).
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #22
RPChan
BMW for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e93 M3 HT

Garage List
What will the market bear in this case? Virtually unattainable. Like new. Certainly u can get every dime back that u have in it. Start there.
Appreciate 0