BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-21-2020, 01:29 AM   #1
tankertoad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 e46 coupe

I have acquired an n51 (3 stage intake) with aa headers, pe, and aa tune. The seamless throttle response, power, and full throttle wail is perfect and intoxicating but the non-stop part-throttle drone is deafening and fatiguing. Is there a way to retain most, if not all, of the power delivery and top end sound while ridding the car of the drone? Removing the headers? Switching the exhaust? Tweaking the tune? It's a shame there's no free lunch but options are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 09:24 AM   #2
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Drone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankertoad View Post
I have acquired an n51 (3 stage intake) with aa headers, pe, and aa tune. The seamless throttle response, power, and full throttle wail is perfect and intoxicating but the non-stop part-throttle drone is deafening and fatiguing. Is there a way to retain most, if not all, of the power delivery and top end sound while ridding the car of the drone? Removing the headers? Switching the exhaust? Tweaking the tune? It's a shame there's no free lunch but options are welcome.
I have the identical setup and dont have any drone. Are your secondary cats in place? I find this setup to be particularly fun because it's calm under 4krpm but all hell breaks loose at WOT. Lots of pops and burbles on demand

I have 3.73 diff as well and even cruising at 80 doesn't produce what I would call drone at 3200 rpm in 6th.

Windows up. - quiet
Windows down - riot
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
tankertoad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 e46 coupe

Interesting. Yes, secondary cats and resonator remain. But even the slightest tip-in during cruise results in a cabin-filling hum that has to be shouted over.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #4
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Quote:
Interesting. Yes, secondary cats and resonator remain. But even the slightest tip-in during cruise results in a cabin-filling hum that has to be shouted over.
Expected drone too. As others reported. So I bought a 135 muffler which is supposed to make it more civilized. I haven't tried it myself. But it's an option
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:04 PM   #5
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Yeah, I have stock 128i and 135i muffler I was going to do the PE mod on but haven't gotten around to it yet. I can trade you for the PE if you want

But otherwise I dont think there's much you can do for the drone without giving something up.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 03:17 PM   #6
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Go to an exhaust fabricator and ask for a drone pipe.
      10-22-2020, 10:59 PM   #7
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by markslc1 View Post
Quote:
Expected drone too. As others reported. So I bought a 135 muffler which is supposed to make it more civilized. I haven't tried it myself. But it's an option
No real drone here

sounds even better without secondary cats.. you're right, it is intoxicating especially in a tunnel WOT
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #8
pattielipp
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i & MR-S

Drone here with stock n52 and PE exhaust.
It's only in the mid range, but it's a bit more than what I like, and my other car is just loud all three time. Looking to get more power and sounds in WOT without the drone.
Appreciate 0