BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-24-2020, 08:34 PM   #1
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

Hey guys,

I thought I would share this iPhone 12 Pro setup as it's truly great!

I had some spare black vinyl wrap and electrical tape and blacked out the white parts of the MagSafe to give it a more OEM appearance. The adapter fits perfectly between the space behind the cup holder. The phone is in there very solid and you can even swing it around between portrait and landscape.

I used clear two sided construction adhesive tape behind the charger and it holds perfectly so far!

I had a similar case mounted in the same spot for about 5 years and it came off like a charm, no damage at all when peeled off slowly and carefully. Although, there is some peeling where my fingers constantly made contact with the rubberized trim.

Next up, swapping my hardwired charging to USB C 20w to allow the 15w wireless charging!

Update - it's very hard to find a 20w type C car charger at this time that will allow the full 15w charging. Belkin is coming out with one but it's not available yet.

Enjoy!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-25-2020, 07:13 PM   #2
AshwinLB
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT

Ouu clean setup! Got the 12 Pro so looking to do something similar to this
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If anyone knows of a proper 20w USB type c car charger (for 12v DC) that is Apple approved and will actually allow for the MagSafe to charge at 15+ watts, please share!

I think we are too early to the fast charging party so far as I haven't been able to find a 20w cigarette friendly PD that plays nice with apples internal chips.

Belkin says they are working on one and it sound s like these aren't available yet

With an inverter and the original 20w power brick from Apple this will work but it seems like a lot of hardware behind the dash just for a 20w USB C source. Apple makes it very annoying with their genuine charging accessories authentication crap
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #4
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
Hey guys,

I thought I would share this iPhone 12 setup as it's truly great!

I had some spare black vinyl wrap and electrical tape and blacked out the white parts of the MagSafe to give it a more OEM appearance. The adapter fits perfectly between the space behind the cup holder. The phone is in there very solid and you can even swing it around between portrait and landscape.

I used clear two sided construction adhesive tape behind the charger and it holds perfectly so far!

I had a similar case mounted in the same spot for about 5 years and it came off like a charm, no damage at all when peeled off slowly and carefully. Although, there is some peeling where my fingers constantly made contact with the rubberized trim.

Next up, swapping my hardwired charging to USB C 20w to allow the 15w wireless charging!

Update - it's very hard to find a 20w type C car charger at this time that will allow the full 15w charging. Belkin is coming out with one but it's not available yet.

Enjoy!
Is the magsafe able to hold the phone in place, hitting bumps and the like?

My car is a bit stiffer on coilovers and from what I've seen on reviews online, I don't think it would be able to hold my phone.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #5
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If anyone knows of a proper 20w USB type c car charger (for 12v DC) that is Apple approved and will actually allow for the MagSafe to charge at 15+ watts, please share!

I think we are too early to the fast charging party so far as I haven't been able to find a 20w cigarette friendly PD that plays nice with apples internal chips.

Belkin says they are working on one and it sound s like these aren't available yet

With an inverter and the original 20w power brick from Apple this will work but it seems like a lot of hardware behind the dash just for a 20w USB C source. Apple makes it very annoying with their genuine charging accessories authentication crap
Most all I've seen are 36W but split into two ports means 18W each:
https://smile.amazon.com/Charger-AIN...s%2C211&sr=8-5
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 12:31 PM   #6
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Quote:
Hey guys,

I thought I would share this iPhone 12 setup as it's truly great!

Enjoy!
Is the magsafe able to hold the phone in place, hitting bumps and the like?

My car is a bit stiffer on coilovers and from what I've seen on reviews online, I don't think it would be able to hold my phone.
Surprisingly, the iPhone 12 Pro (heavier than non pro) does stay in place although I haven't hit any massive pot holes yet and ride quality will def be different depending on your wheels, roads, overall suspension setups. Admittedly I have only been using it for a few drives but so far so good

I'm on the stock m-sport suspension with 18" mpss and shitty Toronto roads.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 12:49 PM   #7
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I was watching a YouTube video where a guy was testing even some older Apple chargers greater than 20w and the MagSafe would be limited to like 10w. To me, it sounds like the product we will need to get full 15+w has not yet been released.

I tried a 30w Amazon PD Chinese made charger and the thing got so hot that it would melt if left in any longer than the 10-15min I was testing.

Be careful folks, there's lots of crappy Amazon products floating around that won't do it and claim to be of higher quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 12:50 PM   #8
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Surprisingly, the iPhone 12 Pro (heavier than non pro) does stay in place although I haven't hit any massive pot holes yet and ride quality will def be different depending on your wheels, roads, overall suspension setups. Admittedly I have only been using it for a few drives but so far so good

I'm on the stock m-sport suspension with 18" mpss and shitty Toronto roads.
Yeah I tried to hold up my 12 pro using my existing magnetic mount, and it would fall with every bump. I think i'll just wait until someone comes out with a good vent mount, wireless charging, magnetic mount. For now i'll stick to my existing vent mount and just plugging the phone in when needed. Been doing it for years with my previous iPhone 8 for years so no need to change until something decent comes out. I do like the convenience of a magnetic mount though.
Appreciate 0