BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
inluvwithastripper
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Debadging an M Car

I currently have a 135 and debadged it almost immediately. I really like the way it looks, in terms of symmetry .

I've ordered a 1M and do not think I will debadge it. Two questions. Anyone out there ever debadged an M car? Does my desire to debadge my 135 but not my future 1M make me a douche?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

I never understood debadging a car. I always figured it was something people who had the cheapest version of something would do it so they could pretend it was something that it wasn't. I know people like the look, but I just don't get it.

I certainly wouldn't debadge an M car, of course I wouldn't debadge any car.

But no, I don't think it makes you a douche, the M badge looks great.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
thinkbig
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
I never understood debadging a car. I always figured it was something people who had the cheapest version of something would do it so they could pretend it was something that it wasn't. I know people like the look, but I just don't get it.

This.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
darkvaderr
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M ordered

My friend actually suggested I put a 128i badge on mine
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:
+1000

Why?????
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

I've actually seen it where this guy put an "M3" badge on a 325is. You could totally tell it wasn't an M3. Thought it was funny.
My understanding of some of those who have debadged cars was that others wouldn't know what they really had. "Sleepers" if you will....

Personally, I would leave the "M" badge on there. I would be proud to be the owner of a car that has a badge that screams a lot of passion and heritage
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
I never understood debadging a car. I always figured it was something people who had the cheapest version of something would do it so they could pretend it was something that it wasn't.
Actually in certain parts of the world (Asia for example), people rebadge their top of the line cars and replace them with a lesser badge. To keep thieves from targeting their car. In a country where there are only a few high end cars, (like a 760i) , you want as low a profile as possible.
      03-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

People that really care will KNOW it's an 1M even without the badge, and if you have any doubt after seeing the wheels, the exhaust, and the bespoke front buffer with the air curtain, or even the stance due to the wider track and bigger wheel arches you can always look at the inside and you'll see the M on the head rests (along with the bespoke interior).

What makes it a special car, is all of the above, not a shiny plastic M letter on the boot, enthusiasts will look at the car once, then do a double-take and go 'wait a second!', others don't deserve to know and will probably mistake it for an M3 or a 135 and would not appreciate why it's so special.

And if they figure out it's special but don't know what a 1M is (or is supposed to look like), then they will come and ask questions and then they will get real interested/excited to know about it. It's what happens with my current car (S2000) when some people hear the engine running and come to me to ask me "is that a supercharger I hear?" . Nothing like a good sleeper!

Personally I don't mind the M badge, but I don't care about the '1' badge, looking at the pictures of the show car you only see the 'M', no 1.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I debadged my 128i and, contrary to the conventional wisdom of this thread, it wasn't so that I could "pretend it was something that it wasn't." Anyone who knows anything about 1ers will instantly recognize my car as a 128i. Anyone who doesn't wouldn't know the difference between a 128i and a 135i (or a 1M for that matter!), badges or not. So exactly who am I fooling by debadging? And you do realize that "model designation deletion" is a pretty common factory option in Europe, right?

It's simply an aesthetic decision. The rear of the car is much sleeker looking without the plastic faux-chrome badge. In the case of the 1er, I found placement of the badging to be too far inboard for my taste, it just looked weird to me.

In the case of the 1M, I probably wouldn't debadge because it's just a better-looking badge - smaller, nice colors, etc. It's a pleasant-looking logo in it's own way. (Although I do like the font BMW uses on its badging of Series cars as well).

Anyway, whatever - it's not the end of the world either way. Debadging is ultimately a very small thing, but much more common than those who don't "get it" realize, I think.

There is a certain amount of elitism on these boards sometimes by owners of higher-end models towards the lower-end models. Not all (or even most) owners by any means. But there are those 135i owners who look down on the 128i every chance they get, for example. I expect some 1M owners will be even worse.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
darkvaderr
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
There is a certain amount of elitism on these boards sometimes by owners of higher-end models towards the lower-end models. Not all (or even most) owners by any means. But there are those 135i owners who look down on the 128i every chance they get, for example. I expect some 1M owners will be even worse.
Actually, from what I've been reading on this forum, it seems that a lot 135i owners bash the 1M every chance they get. Trying to convince everyone that the ~$4 grand extra isn't worth it and the 1M is a complete crap car while their 135i's are the shit.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #11
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvaderr View Post
Actually, from what I've been reading on this forum, it seems that a lot 135i owners bash the 1M every chance they get. Trying to convince everyone that the ~$4 grand extra isn't worth it and the 1M is a complete crap car while their 135i's are the shit.

Yeah, I've seen some of that too. I guess people feel some need to justify their purchase or something.

But wait until owners start taking posession of their 1M's and we might see a change. I'm just going by the way I've seen some 135i owners behave on this board towards the 128i (and some M3 owners on other boards towards anything that's not an M3).

Although on average, I expect most 1M owners will be more likeable, as they will probably be taking shit from 135i owners on one end and M3 owners on the other.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #12
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

i used to have a really ugle 325i station wagon, and i put 316i badges on it. I got a lot more people trying to race me, and some of them were quite surprised.

my 135 is debadged, but it came that way. i wouldnt put 128 badges on it though, i dont care about racing everyone anymore, i know my car will beat 95% of them anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:

Not this.

Debadging is extremely common and cleans up the back end, IMO. I did it to both 335s and my 135, and those are all the top of their line. I'll be keeping my badge on my M though!
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
Not this.

Debadging is extremely common and cleans up the back end, IMO. I did it to both 335s and my 135, and those are all the top of their line. I'll be keeping my badge on my M though!
Correction: the top of the line 3-series is called the M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

When I bought my Z4 M Coupe in 06 I debadge it almost right away. Having M's on each side and the rear distracted from the cars lines to me. I took off the side ones and a day later took off the rear. The rear one actually looked crooked to me so it had to go. I don't care if anyone knows it's an M so now my toolbox has 3 sweet M badges on it. It's the fastest &*%$ing toolbox on the block!
I don't know if I'll remove the rear one on the 1M when it arrives. When I saw the car at Detroit it didn't really annoy me. To each his own.
      03-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #16
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

"Yeah, I've seen some of that too. I guess people feel some need to justify their purchase or something."

Actually, they are probably pissed that we will be able to stuff a lot more rubber under the fenders while they understeer their way around.

Sorry...
      03-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #17
Ohcrap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by inluvwithastripper View Post
I currently have a 135 and debadged it almost immediately. I really like the way it looks, in terms of symmetry .

I've ordered a 1M and do not think I will debadge it. Two questions. Anyone out there ever debadged an M car? Does my desire to debadge my 135 but not my future 1M make me a douche?
It's your damn car, do whatever you want and don't worry about who thinks what, especially the duche's on this forum that feel the need to bash anyone who has the audacity to have different opinions than theirs. Enjoy your car however you want!
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2011, 01:21 AM   #18
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
When I bought my Z4 M Coupe in 06 I debadge it almost right away. Having M's on each side and the rear distracted from the cars lines to me. I took off the side ones and a day later took off the rear. The rear one actually looked crooked to me so it had to go. I don't care if anyone knows it's an M so now my toolbox has 3 sweet M badges on it. It's the fastest &*%$ing toolbox on the block!
I don't know if I'll remove the rear one on the 1M when it arrives. When I saw the car at Detroit it didn't really annoy me. To each his own.
+1

I had my Z debadged before i drove it out of the dealers forecourt it just looked way better with out the badges. I will make my decision about my 1M once i see it in person
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 01:35 AM   #19
elitt13
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: 1///M Coupe & ///M2 CS DKG

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M coupé  [10.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
I debadged my 335i but I keep the ///M badged on my 1///M

anyway there is an ///M on each side of the car ...
      03-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #20
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Correction: the top of the line 3-series is called the M3.
Lol your right, durp durp.

I'd never mix up an m3 or 335 though.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #21
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Not a fan of debadging. Makes the car look cheap imo. But the best part about having your own car is you can do whatever you want to it!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #22
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I much prefer the cleaner look of the debadged car, but I don't think the ///M is necessary as it still loks quite clean. I would debadge a X5M though as it really looks like a mess, I would either take the X5 out or all of them out. I have ordered my 135i debadged, but will keep the ///M on for the 1M for now.
Appreciate 0