BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
xijonix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 3 Series xDrive

Talking Heat Modified 128i Bumper to a more BMW Sport/Performance look :)

Background:
Those that kind of know me know I like to work with stock bumpers to make them more aggressive and attractive, rather then just purchasing a different bumper. Like I did with my E90 LCI. I like the challenge, it's what I pretty much set out for with my 1er bumper project.

Deets:
So essentially I modified my 128i stock bumper with heat and loads of pressure to remould the bumper. The thing is that I was planning on getting a 1M Rep bumper at the end of this year, so I was like whats the worst that can happen. WARNING! Personal Optioning Ahead: The bumper I like the most for this car is the BMW M Performance bumper, I really don't like the 135i Sport bumper, I feel the dip in the middle is too narrow horizontally makes the vehicle seem narrow width wise. The 128i bumper I feel just lacks any sort of sportiness, it just seems very narrow vertically, very flat. I like the 1M Rep bumper but I lean a little personally towards the M Performance styling.

I Noticed with the 128i Bumper it has some potential to look similar to the M Performance, but to also be different so that was my mission with this, to be different then what one could just buy and install on.

Front lip wise, fits a lot of wind splitters, and from measurements, M3 underside front lips that accommodate the middle drop just need to be trimmed on the side due to width differences.

Process:
1. Heat
2. Lots of Pressure

What's done:
1. Lower middle portion of bumper with a curve for a more BMW Sport/Performance Appearance (couple inch drop)
2. Lower and expand / square off the two side vent areas where the fogs were.
3. Paint the middle innards, and left/right fins (divider between use to be fogs and grill)

What still needs to be done:
1. Install APR Wind Splitter
2. Custom fabricate new grills
3. Custom fabricate new ducts for brake cooling
4. Bumper quick detail (clay, compound, polish, wax)

So this shot is of my 128i from the front last week:

After reshaping, doing some painting, two side fins black, and middle innards:

Currently as it stands before the "todoS":

BMW E90 LCI
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 05:26 PM   #2
sprp85
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S54/N52

Garage List
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
2007 E91 328i  [0.00]
Great job. I thought about something along this for a bit but havent really planned it out.

So heat gun and lots of pulling?

Mind sharing which points to pull? (Front, behind skin,etc?)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 10:18 PM   #3
Dmak
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135

this is crazy!!! I did not know this would be possible. Great job. Does the paint on bumper get damage from the heat or pulling? Did u just pull by hand??
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
TWMPerformance
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Wow, never knew this was possible. It looks amazing.

- Renato
Appreciate 0