BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-15-2016, 09:57 PM   #1
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Airbag recall (includes 1M)

Wonder if this will be extended to Australia?

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/11/b...akata-airbags/

Pretty pathetic if they only do the recall in the Land of the Lawsuit and leave the rest of the world to take their chances.

Clarkson on the 1M
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 02:45 AM   #2
NFB091
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Bmw 1M VO

All 300 of us should get together and sign a petition hahah
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:53 PM   #3
morris86
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Just done a bit of research, and it seems this is actually a pretty serious worldwide problem. Does anyone know if this applies to us or if we can expect a recall to occur here?
      02-17-2016, 03:04 AM   #4
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

From what I've read online, the airbags are in 53 million cars around the world, of which 34 million are in the US.

Hard to see how BMW can avoid recalling the Australian cars, especially since the technical risk seems to be highest in hot/humid locations. My guess is it's just a question of time, but Takata can only manufacture about 1 million replacement kits per month, so the worldwide recall program might run for a couple of years.

I've sent an email to BMW Australia asking them what they intend to do about this safety issue.

Clarkson on the 1M

Last edited by NPVPositive; 02-17-2016 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 03:47 AM   #5
chunho01
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i E88 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPVPositive View Post
From what I've read online, the airbags are in 53 million cars around the world, of which 34 million are in the US.

Hard to see how BMW can avoid recalling the Australian cars, especially since the technical risk seems to highest in hot/humid locations. My guess is it's just a question of time, but Takata can only manufacture about 1 million replacement kits per month, so the worldwide recall program might run for a couple of years.

I've sent an email to BMW Australia asking them what they intend to do about this safety issue.
Closely following thread..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 08:47 PM   #6
ranab1r
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 125i M Sport

Thanks for posting this, dude. I'm just about to purchase a 1 series coupe. :S
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 11:40 PM   #7
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Predictable response from BMW Australia, I guess:

-----------------------------------------------

X

I do understand your concerns but at this point in time the vehicle is not affected and I wouldn’t be able to speculate as to if or when it may require work completed.

Rest assured that all recalls are carried out in accordance with the ACCC and if there is any further news BMW Group Australia will contact customers directly via post. I apologise that there isn’t further information that we can provide at this time.

One thought is that the more people who contact BMW expressing their concern, the more likely it is that they will feel compelled to take action and not stall/ignore the issue.

Clarkson on the 1M
Appreciate 1
John_01232.00
      02-26-2016, 02:56 AM   #8
chunho01
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:

X

I do understand your concerns but at this point in time the vehicle is not affected and I wouldn’t be able to speculate as to if or when it may require work completed.

Rest assured that all recalls are carried out in accordance with the ACCC and if there is any further news BMW Group Australia will contact customers directly via post. I apologise that there isn’t further information that we can provide at this time.

One thought is that the more people who contact BMW expressing their concern, the more likely it is that they will feel compelled to take action and not stall/ignore the issue.
This is not funny. AT ALL. Saw in this thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1230474

"SAFETY RISK: Inflator rupture could result in metal fragments striking the driver or other passengers, potentially resulting in serious injury or death."
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #9
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M

It's the same issue every single E46 in the world has been recalled for, which is still going by the way. If it took them that long to decide on a recall for cars from 1999-2006, don't hold your breath.
Meanwhile other manufacturers like Honda are also having this exact issue/recall, and any other company who uses Takata airbags - so chill out and just enjoy the car without crashing for the time being lol. This also isn't a serious enough issue to stop you from buying a 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 04:41 PM   #10
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

I wouldn't say its not serious, its very serious.

Eg driving down the road, someone pulls out from a side street you T-bone them and airbag deploys.

You have no control over the accident and die from shrapnel in your face or worse eye
socket killing you instantly.

There should be some kind of danger money compensation to each car owner who has
one of these installed.

I know I get danger money for high risk activities at work, so why shouldn't we be
compensated for driving a possibly deadly car.

I rather drive with no airbag at least I have a better chance of survival in a serious crash
then my air bag killing me.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 09:24 PM   #11
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Again, I reckon the best thing people can do is email BMW Australia and say that they do not believe it is acceptable for Australia to be stalling on taking action when BMW USA has already recalled their cars. Especially because the failure risk is higher in hot/humid climates.

I'm only guessing, but my suspicion is that BMW will delay taking action for a while because there is a worldwide shortage of airbag replacement kits and Australia isn't at the top of their priority list.

Clarkson on the 1M
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 04:17 AM   #12
chunho01
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
I wouldn't say its not serious, its very serious.

Eg driving down the road, someone pulls out from a side street you T-bone them and airbag deploys.

You have no control over the accident and die from shrapnel in your face or worse eye
socket killing you instantly.

There should be some kind of danger money compensation to each car owner who has
one of these installed.

I know I get danger money for high risk activities at work, so why shouldn't we be
compensated for driving a possibly deadly car.

I rather drive with no airbag at least I have a better chance of survival in a serious crash
then my air bag killing me.
God dang.... the airbag of my previous Honda Civic (now RIP) saved my dear life. Now BMW's tries to kill all of us Touch wood...

I emailed BMW Australia, and I implore everyone to do so too.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 06:43 AM   #13
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPVPositive

X

Recalls are not decided by BMW. They are mandated by the government. So sending emails to BMW is not going to do much.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 09:07 PM   #14
D2000
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i - Sold

Recalls can be voluntary or mandatory
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2016, 10:50 PM   #15
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2000 View Post
Recalls can be voluntary or mandatory
Correct, so BMW should be implementing a voluntary recall.

I'll send an email too.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 06:46 AM   #16
chunho01
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Any updates on this?

My reply reads:

BMW Group Australia has already begun the Technical Campaign for recalling all affected chassis numbers regarding the Takata Airbag issues.

Owners are notified via phone and mail. Our BMW Dealers are able to advise of affected vehicles.

Should you have any further enquiries please feel free to contact us on 133 BMW (133 269) between the hours of 8:30am and 5:30pm AEST, Monday to Friday, or via email at info@bmw.com.au

Kind regards,
Robert

------------------------------------------

BMW Group
Customer Interaction Centre
Customer Interaction Consultant
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 09:45 PM   #17
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

I wonder when they will start contacting the owners. I'm guessing its not in 2016, but I hope I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 11:19 PM   #18
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Maybe I'm too suspicious, but I think BMW chose their words below very carefully. True, they did an airbag recall on the 3-Series back in 2013, so in that sense they have "begun the Technical Campaign." But they still aren't explicitly saying whether the recall campaign will be extended to include the 1-Series as it has been in countries like the USA.

No campaign is listed for the 1-Series on the ACCC's official site: https://www.recalls.gov.au/content/i...itemId/1075348

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunho01 View Post
Any updates on this?

My reply reads:

BMW Group Australia has already begun the Technical Campaign for recalling all affected chassis numbers regarding the Takata Airbag issues.

Owners are notified via phone and mail. Our BMW Dealers are able to advise of affected vehicles.

Should you have any further enquiries please feel free to contact us on 133 BMW (133 269) between the hours of 8:30am and 5:30pm AEST, Monday to Friday, or via email at info@bmw.com.au

Kind regards,
Robert

------------------------------------------

BMW Group
Customer Interaction Centre
Customer Interaction Consultant

Clarkson on the 1M

Last edited by NPVPositive; 03-28-2016 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 05:17 AM   #19
chunho01
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Maybe I'm too suspicious
You are not. I had the same thoughts. They just brushed my question away. Nothing was answered and 1ers owners are still as clueless as ever.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #20
jntp
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Never had any update on this, while the 2008 135i in the USA has been recalled for this, still nothing for Australia. It might be time to start posting on BMW Australia's Facebook page.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 03:08 AM   #21
craufurd
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M

Particularly given the Darwin incident 10 days ago.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-0...n-case/8480908
Appreciate 1
John_01232.00
      05-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #22
tom_b
Rep
Drives: 130i (rip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by craufurd View Post
Particularly given the Darwin incident 10 days ago.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-0...n-case/8480908
Though if you look at the ACCC list in the linked article , the 1 series doesn't appear...!?
Appreciate 0