BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
slim_e90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM E-88

Convertible: Rear seat wind problem

I\'ve searched a lot and haven\'t found anything yet for this... For any 4 seat vert.

When my kids are in the back seat with the top down, they complain about too much wind even at 35-40mph on a calm day, with all the side windows up.

Has anyone found a solution to this, possibly a rear wind blocker DIY or custom job of some kind?

Thanks in advance!

|move over... please|
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Nope. Its a 2+2 vert issue. These things just happen.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Barry45RPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 MB E550, 2010 128i Conv

Get them headphones for their iPods. (Not earbuds)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

Regular BMW windscreen will not fit with people in the back. We have a Vert, and we always ride in the front. If people in the back complain, I just keep on driving. That is part of the Vert experience.

Get them some shooting ear protection!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

I have the same problem when I have the 2 grandkids in the rear seat.
Even with the windows up it's too much wind for speeds in excess of 40 Kmph.
With my Z4, we had a small OEM windscreen between the 2 headrests which was very effective,
I don't know why some entrepeneurial type hasn't designed and produced a small windscreen to go between the 2 rear headrests for those occasions when we have 2 wee ones in the rear and can't use the standard 1er vert windscreen.
Hopefully someone in China is scanning this forum.
      10-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I hadn't really thought about it. I rarely have people in the rear seat and when I have they have usually thought the air was fun. My daughter asked me to put the top back up, however, but that was partially temperature.

For a windscreen to work, it has to block the air coming around from behind. So a windscreen for the rear seat would have to go behind the rear headrests. Mounting to the headrests seems possible - for both front and rear. But the front seats would have to be in the same position so maybe that is impractical. But the rear seats should work. It would make an interesting project. I mainly do woodworking but a wood frame with a metal mesh screen should work.

Jim
      10-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
Barry45RPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 MB E550, 2010 128i Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I hadn't really thought about it. I rarely have people in the rear seat and when I have they have usually thought the air was fun. My daughter asked me to put the top back up, however, but that was partially temperature.

For a windscreen to work, it has to block the air coming around from behind. So a windscreen for the rear seat would have to go behind the rear headrests. Mounting to the headrests seems possible - for both front and rear. But the front seats would have to be in the same position so maybe that is impractical. But the rear seats should work. It would make an interesting project. I mainly do woodworking but a wood frame with a metal mesh screen should work.

Jim
The wind rushing past rear passengers ears is a roar and makes hearing anything at all impossible. It is fatiguing after a short ride in the back... Thats assuming the ambient air temp is not cool on rear passengers skin (late afternoon/evening wind chill) chilling them beyond what the sun can warm up.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

So maybe windscreens on both the front and back headrests are indicated? If you only used the outside hole on the front headrests, the seats wouldn't have to be in the same position.

Jim
      10-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

A screen on the back headrests will not work. The air is so rough in the back seat because the airstream that goes over the windshield comes down into the back seats.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
I have the same problem when I have the 2 grandkids in the rear seat.
Even with the windows up it's too much wind for speeds in excess of 40 Kmph.
With my Z4, we had a small OEM windscreen between the 2 headrests which was very effective,
I don't know why some entrepeneurial type hasn't designed and produced a small windscreen to go between the 2 rear headrests for those occasions when we have 2 wee ones in the rear and can't use the standard 1er vert windscreen.
Hopefully someone in China is scanning this forum.
I wonder, have you tried lowering the driver and passenger windows and leaving the small rear windows up?
It could result in a different air flow path to alleviate air flow and pressure to the rear passengers. Just guessing as I don't have a vert.
But, I am considering a 135i vert next summer, and I have many nieces and nephews that love to ride in my cars.

That's a shame that BMW makes a vert with rear seats but does't design something to make it comfortable for rear passengers.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #11
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
A screen on the back headrests will not work. The air is so rough in the back seat because the airstream that goes over the windshield comes down into the back seats.
On my motorcycles with windshields, depending on the screen design, sometimes the wind flow would create ridiculous buffeting.
Altering the top of the windscreen helped a lot as you can disrupt the air flow at the top of the screen resulting in much less buffeting around the head.

Maybe something that could be put along the top of the windshield are could alter the wind flow to either disrupt it at the front, or alter the wind flow to go higher up and flow back after the passenger area.

There was a product for moto wind screens that was a 1" tall flexible rubber trim that would grip the top edge of the screen, that would disrupt the air at the edge, and that resulted in less air flow over the top edge of the screen. But, I don't know how you would install that on a car. Might be an idea worth pursuing for you engineering types.
I'm sure there is a market for it, especially if you can design something that can work among different types and brands of verts.
If I get the vert I know I'd be interested.
Appreciate 0