BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
andrewjbrady
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

What comes after a 1M?

I've had my BSM 1M new since July 2011. It followed an E60 M5, which followed a 135i. I did need a bigger car when I moved on from the the 135i, but after my kids got out of their car seats, I was able to return to a smaller form factor that I prefer, and then some.

Now nearly eight years on ... has anyone replaced their 1M and not regretted it? What with?

Andrew
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

death.

really nothing else i want. new cars these days are utter crap. haven't enjoyed any of the 'new' M cars i've tried that much and even Porsche has lost the plot. Nothing else can carry 4 people, be a family car for me, and capture my imagination the way the 1M does. If the Alfa Quadrifoglio had a manual transmission it could have (even though i don't really care for the looks).
etr201695.00
      04-27-2019, 04:18 PM   #3
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

Can't say from personal experience because not a 1M owner, but the only cars I see M owners tend to be happy with after is high end P cars.
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 3
c1pher4544.00
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      04-27-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
death.

really nothing else i want. new cars these days are utter crap. haven't enjoyed any of the 'new' M cars i've tried that much and even Porsche has lost the plot. Nothing else can carry 4 people, be a family car for me, and capture my imagination the way the 1M does. If the Alfa Quadrifoglio had a manual transmission it could have (even though i don't really care for the looks).
That car is available in a Manual in Europe tho?

Isn't it? I'd be into that as well....I can get past the looks....actually, it's not so bad in darker colors.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjbrady View Post
I've had my BSM 1M new since July 2011. It followed an E60 M5, which followed a 135i. I did need a bigger car when I moved on from the the 135i, but after my kids got out of their car seats, I was able to return to a smaller form factor that I prefer, and then some.

Now nearly eight years on ... has anyone replaced their 1M and not regretted it? What with?

Andrew
I replaced mine. Got a 2003 330i ZHP manual since I had small kids while I evaluated M235, M2, etc. I regretted selling mine. I ended up looking at a lot of cars and finally looked for a used 1M and went back. It's coming on 4 years soon with the 2nd 1M. The first one I had just under two years.

There are lot of guys here that love the NAV, IDrive, dynamic suspensions, backup sensors, power folding mirrors etc. I don't. So for ME, there is nothing else out there. For the first time in my life there are no new cars I am lusting for. I really like the Audi S3 but only automatic and it has a screen and iController. Same with RS3. The GTI, I do like and still offered with a manual but already picked up one of those for the wife. All the new BMWs with fake sound, big screens, electric steering just turn me off.

I have started to only look at used cars. Today I decided to look at 2015 gen 3 miata club. I went to the dealer but it was sold. He showed me a current Gen4 Miata with Recaro seats and BBS wheels. I paused for a second. It looked pretty good but then I sit in it with the stupid iController and this-has-no-business-in-a-real-sportscar screen and I just couldn't do it.

The new gadget driving interfaces kill it for me and no more manual options. The Golf R has gone all digital instruments. So there is nothing for me after the 1M.

I'm not the only one, I'm sure of it. Prices for analog manual cars are going nuts. E46 M3s, manual Ferraris, etc. People are realizing that this stuff is going away. So it makes it very hard to let go of the 1M.

If you don't care about that stuff like I do. I envy you. If it doesn't bother you, I mean it. I truly wish I would get off on having a big computer screen in front of my sports car view.

Really the 1M is irreplaceable if you like the pure no-nav cockpit, an oil gauge, no digital soundtrack, manual transmission and analog steering and cockpit.

Good luck in your search!
Appreciate 5
JP-1M171.00
dtla1826.00
Mavus2014.50
1mGator143.50
      04-27-2019, 06:43 PM   #6
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
death.

That car is available in a Manual in Europe tho?

Isn't it? I'd be into that as well....I can get past the looks....actually, it's not so bad in darker colors.
True! I believe there is a manual version in Europe. A real shame we don't get it here...
      04-28-2019, 03:44 AM   #7
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Fast forward a few years and there will be few options for any fun-to-drive, analog, MT cars that one could use as a daily driver that one would have confidence in, that won't run you into the ground financially. At this point all of the cars potentially filling this niche were produced at least a few years ago, and as this declining rolling stock deteriorates, nothing new is coming out to replace it.

You will probably be forced to DD something that is entirely uninteresting to drive. Take your pick, all the options are digital and they suck.

Then you can have one, two, or more older fun cars to drive if you have somewhere to store them. By not putting daily-driver type mileage on the fun car(s), you can probably keep them running nearly forever.
JP-1M171.00
      04-28-2019, 07:33 AM   #8
LukeM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

I’m with you guys Nachob and Champignon
Enough with the electronics and gimmickry
I just picked up an E46 330xi for my son (who may never get it as I love it too), I terribly miss my M Coupe, E30 M3 and E39 M5
What you’re looking for BMW has already produced
Don’t look forward, it looks bleak
Appreciate 5
nachob2307.00
champignon1562.00
JP-1M171.00
1mGator143.50
      04-28-2019, 07:41 AM   #9
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 519.E82 View Post
Can't say from personal experience because not a 1M owner, but the only cars I see M owners tend to be happy with after is high end P cars.
Although I only had a tuned 135is, the only thing that got me was a Porsche, well, two.

My Corvette really isn’t a replacement. While it’s awesome, it’s too soft in some spots and not very twitchy (if that’s a thing). It has gobs more power and is downright brutal in a straight line. But our 718 is the right size, drives small, goes right where you want and has the balance of a ballerina. I do miss the sound of the N55, but the 718 sounds great on its own especially with the sport exhaust, which I feel is a must have. We have a six speed manual and it’s very fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 11:45 AM   #10
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM3 View Post
I’m with you guys Nachob and Champignon
Enough with the electronics and gimmickry
I just picked up an E46 330xi for my son (who may never get it as I love it too), I terribly miss my M Coupe, E30 M3 and E39 M5
What you’re looking for BMW has already produced
Don’t look forward, it looks bleak
Some other manufacturer might possibly make a fun to drive car in the future; for sure it will not be BMW. They will take the M-Logo and use it as a marketing tool, even more than they are doing so today. All the fun has however been engineered out of the cars, so don't be fooled.
      04-28-2019, 03:59 PM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Porsche is the last hope. I agree. They heard their customers and brought the manual only GT4 to the market. Now I hear that they will bring back the NA motor for the GT4 since the turbo versions have been a bit controversial. So I respect that Porsche seems to put some emphasis on those subjective things that car guys love. The problem with Porsche is just the outright cost. You have to go to a two seat Cayman or 911 which means if you have kids you still need another car.

We live in San Diego, the 8th largest city in the US and there are only two Porsche dealers in 4500 square mile sized county with 3.3 million people! They are 27 miles apart which by the time you factor traffic are realistically one hour apart. Then you can't even buy one of the cooler models unless you have been buying a new 100K porsche every two years.

With all that said, Porsche is the last of the German manufacturers that cares. BMW has moved on and away from the guys that were decrying the bloated tech-saturated cars. We are but a little tick in the side of a huge body that they are waiting for it to just sluff off and die so they can replace the steering wheel with an tablet slide controller and the windshield with an LCD display showing full digital movies of your choice when you decide that using the slide controller is too much effort and you want to enable auto pilot.
Appreciate 2
champignon1562.00
c1pher4544.00
      04-28-2019, 09:09 PM   #12
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

I found myself in the same situation as Op recently, drove M3, didn’t really love, drove M2, didn’t really love, oddly and against most it seems, drove a 911S and Cayman S and didn’t really love.

I have an old Skyline GTR that I use occasionally and I keep because I love them, and I’ve decided to do the same with the 1M for exactly the same reason. So I went and bought a Golf GTI that would take flat packs and old Mums, and that does the shopping mall car parks and 9 min drive to work each day and gets left in city car parks overnight when I get carried away with a bottle of wine at dinner. I park it and don’t give it a second thought. The mentality is now that I love the other two so much that I want to keep them for a very very long time, and oddly, don’t want them to wear out. They’ve become weekend cars and it’s the best decision I’ve made. Followed closely by the decision to keep the Nissan now seeing the prices shooting up.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2019, 11:49 AM   #13
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

If you want a manual....and you are shopping new.

It would be a mid or rear engine Porsche or the upcoming G80, M2 CS, M2C.
The next step down is the hot hatch product. There is a fair amount of competition in the segment, making the companies fight for market, so manuals are seemingly thriving for the time being, outside of Audi and Mercedes.

As for BMW-
BMW made the M2....There is nothing else like it currently, they are also making the M2 CS and a ‘pure model’ 6MT G80 M3, so they get props from me! At least they are offering manuals for the time being. Even the JCW GP3 Mini that is coming deserves some love, they at least make an effort toward Motorsport products.

Last edited by seis-speed; 05-01-2019 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2019, 08:02 PM   #14
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
It's becoming apparent that nothing can replace the 1M, not even a P car, I've tried! Luckily I didn't sell the 1M first before tasting some forbidden fruit...like some of you...Now I'm just accumulating toys and running out of excuses to tell the wife. -Ariel Atom, totally raw but my 3yr old cannot ride in...well, outside of our hood, -911 7.2 GT3, absolutely the bees knees but STILL I drive the 1M almost every time over. The baby M might not be the fastest car around he track, nor does it sound like a Mezger masterpiece but the 1M can still evoke so many positive feelings, there really isn't anything that checks all the boxes quite like this car.

Would the OP or any of us be happy in a new GT4, absolutely, however, you will w/o doubt look back and say damn, shouldn't have let that one go, she was a keeper
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 6
Tornado1M1201.50
JP-1M171.00
////\/\16.50
ayao627.50
      04-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #15
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
Rep
Drives: Own two 1M's, VO total OEM

As a four time 1M owner, 86 cars in 33 years, my most sincere advice is to keep it. You will never have a day when you won't lust for the rarity, and uniqueness of the Best M car ever made.
Appreciate 5
JP-1M171.00
Roundown575.50
////\/\16.50
///BYU268.50
      04-30-2019, 09:37 AM   #16
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Porsche is the last hope. I agree. They heard their customers and brought the manual only GT4 to the market. Now I hear that they will bring back the NA motor for the GT4 since the turbo versions have been a bit controversial. So I respect that Porsche seems to put some emphasis on those subjective things that car guys love. The problem with Porsche is just the outright cost. You have to go to a two seat Cayman or 911 which means if you have kids you still need another car.

We live in San Diego, the 8th largest city in the US and there are only two Porsche dealers in 4500 square mile sized county with 3.3 million people! They are 27 miles apart which by the time you factor traffic are realistically one hour apart. Then you can't even buy one of the cooler models unless you have been buying a new 100K porsche every two years.

With all that said, Porsche is the last of the German manufacturers that cares. BMW has moved on and away from the guys that were decrying the bloated tech-saturated cars. We are but a little tick in the side of a huge body that they are waiting for it to just sluff off and die so they can replace the steering wheel with an tablet slide controller and the windshield with an LCD display showing full digital movies of your choice when you decide that using the slide controller is too much effort and you want to enable auto pilot.
Porsche’s are generally very reliable. My recommendation would be to get a 2005-2009 911. They are very reasonably priced and still have hydraulic steering. I wouldn’t worry so much about a Porsche dealer....I go to an Indy shop because they have 30+ years working on Porsche and much less expensive for service. Win win. Same thing I did for the 135is. Local Porsche dealer wants almost $700 for an oil change on the Boxster. I pay $260 to the independent guy. He uses Porsche approved oil etc and follows the service manual,
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      04-30-2019, 09:51 AM   #17
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Quote:

Porsche’s are generally very reliable. My recommendation would be to get a 2005-2009 911. They are very reasonably priced and still have hydraulic steering. I wouldn’t worry so much about a Porsche dealer....I go to an Indy shop because they have 30+ years working on Porsche and much less expensive for service. Win win. Same thing I did for the 135is. Local Porsche dealer wants almost $700 for an oil change on the Boxster. I pay $260 to the independent guy. He uses Porsche approved oil etc and follows the service manual,
Yes I keep looking at Porsche's I just don't like the 911 that much. The butt is too big. I think it's a generational thing. The older guys like bigger rounder rear. I like a little smaller more athletic rear so I tend to prefer the Cayman. Right now the 2014-2016 Naturally aspirated Cayman is tops on my list. While not hydraulic steering the NA motor makes up for that and the athletic lines are a turn on. Don't get me wrong as I get older the fuller rears look a little better than before but I still prefer more athletic ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:41 PM   #18
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

I think BMW still offers a compelling M product in M2-4s that are strippers. For example, my F80 only has two options: 1. leather interior and 2. competition package. The car looks great, sounds great, has a stick and feels analogue, is a hoot to drive (although you have to be going much faster than in the 1M to truly appreciate it), and comfortably seats 4 and a baby. The car is not bloated with technology and since it is a 2017 it doesn't even have a backup camera!

The problem is that very few people actually want a car that is analogue or specified similar to my M3 (and is the same reason the 86 and brz don't sell well) even though they claim too. Even Bimmerpost is dominated by posts stating that "you have to get the executive package" or "I have got to have a HUD" and look at my "individual color/interior." Hell most of the M3/4 CS's are species with the exec package. These are what car buyers want and buy and where car manufacturers make money and dominate their focus.

Let's compare my F80 to how many so called "enthusiasts" say they would like to spec/modify/buy a car (can even be seen in the 1M forums with after market mods):

1. Good sounding exhaust - stock
2. "Race Seats" - stock
3. Upgraded wheels and tire size - stock
4. Functional carbon fiber parts - stock roof, drive shafts, and strut brace
5. Big brake kit - stock

All this can be had at or around invoice pricing and is a great deal from BmW.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:50 PM   #19
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
I think BMW still offers a compelling M product in M2-4s that are strippers. For example, my F80 only has two options: 1. leather interior and 2. competition package. The car looks great, sounds great, has a stick and feels analogue, is a hoot to drive (although you have to be going much faster than in the 1M to truly appreciate it), and comfortably seats 4 and a baby. The car is not bloated with technology and since it is a 2017 it doesn't even have a backup camera!

The problem is that very few people actually want a car that is analogue or specified similar to my M3 (and is the same reason the 86 and brz don't sell well) even though they claim too. Even Bimmerpost is dominated by posts stating that "you have to get the executive package" or "I have got to have a HUD" and look at my "individual color/interior." Hell most of the M3/4 CS's are species with the exec package. These are what car buyers want and buy and where car manufacturers make money and dominate their focus.

Let's compare my F80 to how many so called "enthusiasts" say they would like to spec/modify/buy a car (can even be seen in the 1M forums with after market mods):

2. "Race Seats" - stock
5. Big brake kit - stock

- Electronic Power Steering
- iDrive
- Quite large
Appreciate 2
ayao627.50
      04-30-2019, 12:55 PM   #20
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
- iDrive
- Quite large
I haven’t driven an M2C but wasn’t as impressed with the original M2 as the magazine reviewers were. I felt like my 135is was a bit more raw and the M2 more numb. Looks awesome and grips well. Doesn’t feel any faster. I did have a Dinan tune on my car though.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 01:00 PM   #21
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes I keep looking at Porsche's I just don't like the 911 that much. The butt is too big. I think it's a generational thing. The older guys like bigger rounder rear. I like a little smaller more athletic rear so I tend to prefer the Cayman. Right now the 2014-2016 Naturally aspirated Cayman is tops on my list. While not hydraulic steering the NA motor makes up for that and the athletic lines are a turn on. Don't get me wrong as I get older the fuller rears look a little better than before but I still prefer more athletic ones.
Well you’re right that the 911 has kind of become a GT and the Cayman more the purist car. Like I said, we love our 718. Nice size very similar to the 135 in that regard. Much better balanced though.

I think you should look at a 718. While I like the 981...they are almost identical, the 718 just has more usable power on the street. You really have to drive in the upper rpms to hear the sweet song of the 981 and feel its power. I have torque down low on the 718. It’s just a better animal IMO. With that said, for the right price, I’d definitely drive a 981 GTS.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 07:10 PM   #22
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post

2. "Race Seats" - stock
5. Big brake kit - stock

- iDrive
- Quite large

Everything has infotainment and EPS now and it's really not that bad in the F80 ZCP. Also, an M2 is not very big.

A Miata RF also meets most of the criteria if you need smaller and can live with two seats. Had one as a rental car last year and it was a blast.

While I wish my 1M didn't have iDrive (I was one of the ones who got free Nav/iDrive thanks to the August BMW screw up) it works really well for music and general car info. At least my 1M doesn't have PDC warts- the main reason I didn't order fully loaded!

What I really want is a 911 GT3 Touring or a 911T with a drivers side (only) carbon bucket seat, two "back seats", and a regular foldable passengers seat. Not sure who I would need to bribe to make that happen so that my best buddy (my daughter) [IMG][/IMG]can ride along:

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
///BYU268.50
seis-speed2426.00