BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-17-2021, 07:41 AM   #1
persianbmw91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Discussion: 1M to 996 Turbo?

Anyone with first hand experience comparing the two? It's possible to trade into an x50 996 Turbo pretty easily. Has anyone moved from our cars to that, thoughts?

The thing I appreciate the most about the 1M is that it always feels motorsporty at even 20mph, between the steering, shifter engagement and general sounds that enter the cabin. Outside the 1M i've only experienced this in a Focus RS and GT350. I suspect the 996 Turbo is touring focused, but was wondering if anyone owns both and has thoughts.

How do they compare at city speeds vs 7/10ths back roads?
      11-17-2021, 11:49 PM   #2
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by persianbmw91 View Post
Anyone with first hand experience comparing the two? It's possible to trade into an x50 996 Turbo pretty easily. Has anyone moved from our cars to that, thoughts?

The thing I appreciate the most about the 1M is that it always feels motorsporty at even 20mph, between the steering, shifter engagement and general sounds that enter the cabin. Outside the 1M i've only experienced this in a Focus RS and GT350. I suspect the 996 Turbo is touring focused, but was wondering if anyone owns both and has thoughts.

How do they compare at city speeds vs 7/10ths back roads?
I own a 2003 996 Turbo as well as a 1M. Both have relatively low mileage for year and type, although the 996 TT has more than twice as much mileage, now approaching 80K. From what I have read the X50 isn't clearly more desirable than the 996 TT I own.

I use both cars exclusively in the late spring through early fall, and they are mothballed through the winter. Neither gets more than 2,000 miles a year as I have too many cars and also would rather not run up the clock on either. When I do drive them it is predominantly on rural 2 lane highways with a little bit of freeway and some in town use.

In answer to your question, I find the 1M to be enjoyable to drive, no matter where I am driving it, be it in town, on the freeway, or the rural twisty turny highway through the mountains.

As for the Porsche, it is not very enjoyable to drive in town. The power that it has is not particularly useful and it feels a bit like driving a truck. It eats gas like all get out (expect around 11 mpg in town), whereas on the highway it gets close to 20 mpg. It also attracts attention, which the 1M does not in most circumstances and in a bigger city than where I live, I'm not sure that the attention would be welcomed.

I enjoy both cars but if I had to part with one, it would be the Porsche.