BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-28-2018, 10:12 PM   #1
Boudreau1589
Rep
Drives: 2009 E82 128i N51 6MT

330i N52 Engine Swap

Fellow 1ers,

I recently had the N51 in my 2009 128i blow up on me. With only 35k miles on the car and it in great shape otherwise, I've decided to keep the car and swap a replacement engine into the chassis.

I've located a few N51s with relatively low miles (not 35k low, but low) for pretty cheap money. However, before I go ahead with the purchase, I wanted to see if this is a good opportunity to extract some extra performance out of the car and maybe swap one the top spec N52s into the car instead (330i, Z4 is, X3 or X5 with 255-272 HP).

Have any of you performed this swap or know of any similar N51 for N52 swaps? I've searched this forum and the E90 forum for comparable 328 swaps but have come up empty.

With so many folks desiring the extra power and torque of the high output N52s, I know that many have attempted the tuning/DISA conversion (and seemingly all failed or come up short of the BMW figures of 260+ HP at the crank) but I would have assumed at least one of you would have performed this swap in the quest for more power.

I'm assuming some engine mounts will need to be retrofitted. My biggest concern and main hesitation in buying an N52 in place of an N51, is programming and wiring. There has to be a good reason that this hasn't been done and publicized, right? What am I missing?

Thank you!
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2018, 08:00 AM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
I don't know much regarding the nitty-gritty about a swap like this. A friend of a friend just bought an N51 128i that blew a motor (RIP) after like two weeks of ownership...

The differences between the N51 and the N52 are the pistons (the N51 has lower compression) and the additional emissions equipment attached to the N51 (more effective cats, secondary air injection, etc.). The block, and pretty much everything (other than pistons and intake manifold) is the same between the N51 and N52, so mounting won't be a problem. Theoretically, it's some coding and tuning away from actually happening.

Side note: all the N52's are the same, regardless of output, it's a difference in the intake manifold and the tune.
      11-29-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
Boudreau1589
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I don't know much regarding the nitty-gritty about a swap like this. A friend of a friend just bought an N51 128i that blew a motor (RIP) after like two weeks of ownership...

The differences between the N51 and the N52 are the pistons (the N51 has lower compression) and the additional emissions equipment attached to the N51 (more effective cats, secondary air injection, etc.). The block, and pretty much everything (other than pistons and intake manifold) is the same between the N51 and N52, so mounting won't be a problem. Theoretically, it's some coding and tuning away from actually happening.

Side note: all the N52's are the same, regardless of output, it's a difference in the intake manifold and the tune.
Thanks for the tips, Chris. I appreciate it. I'm hoping someone else may be able to tune in with the, "Nitty-gritty" as you put it. Those fine details are what's really holding me up.

However, it's great to know that it has been done!
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2018, 08:57 PM   #4
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Where are you located? If you’re in a state that tests emissions, this might end up being a headache since the car was originally SULEV. I don’t know for sure though. But it is certainly worth investigating before spending any money on this swap.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2018, 01:46 AM   #5
smeard
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
someone say... LS SWAPPPP
Weekend - 1997 BMW Z3 M52, 5spd, Dunkelgrun: 230k mi, Intrax Springs on Bilsteins, Style 68s staggered
AutoX/track - 2012 F30 N20, 6MT BSM
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Boston is the home of a huge membership in BMWCCA; it would be worth joining to find expert knowledge from members and club (Mike Miller) plus knowledge of the better indy BMW garages. Turner Motorsport is close to you. You want it done right, the first time.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #7
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreau1589 View Post
Fellow 1ers,

I recently had the N51 in my 2009 128i blow up on me. With only 35k miles on the car and it in great shape otherwise, I've decided to keep the car and swap a replacement engine into the chassis.

I've located a few N51s with relatively low miles (not 35k low, but low) for pretty cheap money. However, before I go ahead with the purchase, I wanted to see if this is a good opportunity to extract some extra performance out of the car and maybe swap one the top spec N52s into the car instead (330i, Z4 is, X3 or X5 with 255-272 HP).

Have any of you performed this swap or know of any similar N51 for N52 swaps? I've searched this forum and the E90 forum for comparable 328 swaps but have come up empty.

With so many folks desiring the extra power and torque of the high output N52s, I know that many have attempted the tuning/DISA conversion (and seemingly all failed or come up short of the BMW figures of 260+ HP at the crank) but I would have assumed at least one of you would have performed this swap in the quest for more power.

I'm assuming some engine mounts will need to be retrofitted. My biggest concern and main hesitation in buying an N52 in place of an N51, is programming and wiring. There has to be a good reason that this hasn't been done and publicized, right? What am I missing?

Thank you!
Spend a little time researching your parts on REALOEM. Except for the engine short block and DME tune, I don't think there is any hardware differences.

Regarding the tune, the MSV80 has been pretty well cracked so "someone out" there can probably spoof the BMW Euro 330 tune to run with the powerclass found in your CAS. Bimmerlabs?

There is very little reason why you could not swap to an N52N with a three stage manifold and run 250HP at the crank. Then take that tune to a "tuner" and find another 12-20 hp without any additional hardware changes.

What's up with this forum? a year ago something like this would have had two pages of comments by now. Have they banned all the contributing non vendor members?
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2018, 01:54 AM   #8
Boudreau1589
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Spend a little time researching your parts on REALOEM. Except for the engine short block and DME tune, I don't think there is any hardware differences.

Regarding the tune, the MSV80 has been pretty well cracked so "someone out" there can probably spoof the BMW Euro 330 tune to run with the powerclass found in your CAS. Bimmerlabs?

There is very little reason why you could not swap to an N52N with a three stage manifold and run 250HP at the crank. Then take that tune to a "tuner" and find another 12-20 hp without any additional hardware changes.

What's up with this forum? a year ago something like this would have had two pages of comments by now. Have they banned all the contributing non vendor members?
I know, right? I felt like this project was long overdue for this forum and I was really hoping people would jump onboard for this.

Anyway, I appreciate all of you that have responded. I have some phone calls to make and hopefully I can get in touch with a Boston-area shop that is interested in doing the work. Turner MS was a good call - It can't hurt giving them a call to see if they know of anyone who might be interested in doing the swap.

In any case, I'll document whatever I end up doing and keep you all apprised.
Appreciate 0