Mine's a keeper it's that good
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 03:02 PM   #112
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Haven't owned as many M cars as most on this forum. E46 / E92 / 1M and now M2 LCI with DCT.

Have to say that even thou I can't pick a favourite as they are all awesome cars in their own right and period build, that the 1M always has a special place in my heart for its absolute rawness and Free spirit.
Enough said as I do miss the 1M
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8709.00
      07-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #113
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Haven't owned as many M cars as most on this forum. E46 / E92 / 1M and now M2 LCI with DCT.

Have to say that even thou I can't pick a favourite as they are all awesome cars in their own right and period build, that the 1M always has a special place in my heart for its absolute rawness and Free spirit.
Enough said as I do miss the 1M
Having had The same M cars as you.
100% agreed

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
Zuzu2815.00
      07-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #114
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
I think a better question would be what's the best non-M BMW car ever: in that case 335is takes it for me.
Way OT but also way off the map...
E30 325iS with short ratio MT
E31 850CSi
E24 M635Csi
E28 M535i

If the N54 came with a bigger set of turbos or they greenlighted the N55 with a larger turbo (wasn't reliability tested. Not that it was inferior), I think it'd be definitely one of the best all round M packages.
When you start going down this technical path. it'd never see production.

If mine goes kaput, a S55/S85 would be on the cards. Obviously if I had the money to do it
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2018, 02:24 AM   #115
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

We still doing this?

The 1 M was great but it was a flawed car. People just love it now becuase you can’t drive up to the showroom and get one.

As an M2 owner, I can say the new car apart from a unfinished interior trumps it but if we want bmw to build more M cars like it we really have show them that it worth in terms of sales numbers.

I hope the M2 comp model is even better and that BMW continues to bring us this kind of pure product in the years to come, well until they outlaw ICE engines anyway...
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      07-08-2018, 03:33 AM   #116
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

I still rate the Z4M as the better M car, but I do like the 1M a lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 07:19 AM   #117
Xccelerate
Back in a BMW
Rep
Drives: 21 X5M Comp

I must say I love my VO 1M, it's just a totally different drive. Puts a damn smile on my face every time. And people make fun of me because I only have 7900 miles on it

11' 1M Coupe Valencia 6MT OEM+ 289 of 740
Appreciate 2
The_Werm212.00
      07-08-2018, 07:36 AM   #118
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
The 1 M was great but it was a flawed car. People just love it now becuase you can’t drive up to the showroom and get one.

As an M2 owner, I can say the new car apart from a unfinished interior trumps it but if we want bmw to build more M cars like it we really have show them that it worth in terms of sales numbers.

I hope the M2 comp model is even better and that BMW continues to bring us this kind of pure product in the years to come, well until they outlaw ICE engines anyway...
Every car is flawed. I drove a couple M2s and found myself a bit bored. To me that's a far worse flaw than being a bit sketchy and unpredictable at the limit!! I don't think BMW are capable of making cars like the 1M at the moment...unfortunately! I hope they prove us wrong at some point in the future. The n55 M2 was a good attempt albeit a bit sterilized/computerized for my tastes; the S55 M2 is moving in the wrong direction (heavier with more power is not what was needed).

Am anxiously awaiting an "M0" retro celebration in 10 years that takes the brand back to 2002 Turbo territory right before autonomous driving takes over :O
      07-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #119
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

That is your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Every car is flawed. I drove a couple M2s and found myself a bit bored. To me that's a far worse flaw than being a bit sketchy and unpredictable at the limit!! I don't think BMW are capable of making cars like the 1M at the moment...unfortunately! I hope they prove us wrong at some point in the future. The n55 M2 was a good attempt albeit a bit sterilized/computerized for my tastes; the S55 M2 is moving in the wrong direction (heavier with more power is not what was needed).

Am anxiously awaiting an "M0" retro celebration in 10 years that takes the brand back to 2002 Turbo territory right before autonomous driving takes over :O
Sorry but that is a nostalgic view. Perhaps when the end the M2 and is it no longer available, you will appreciate it for the gem that it is up by then the performance game would have moved on and it would be eclipsed by a faster (and hopefully) more fun car that people will say is not as good as the original.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #120
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDO View Post
I still rate the Z4M as the better M car, but I do like the 1M a lot.
Because you have a Z and missed the boat on getting a 1M?
      07-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #121
Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 991S & 2013 M3 CP

No. Absolutely not. Not in any specific way, or as a whole.

This kind of groupie following seems to happen in any enthusiast market surrounding a more "limited" product, especially online communities, where the very small but very vocal minority incessantly preach their praises as gospel.

97% of ///M cars beat the 1M sitting perfectly still with the keys in their owners pocket. The thing looks like the hunchback of Notre Dame had a one night stand with Flavor Flav.

"But the 1M has pappy's Ole Stick".... Sure, and my neighbor mows his own lawn. Takes him twice as long and he ends up with dog shit on his shoes.

The 1M is no more special today then it was when it was announced - a pile of recycled parts slapped together around an N, I repeat N, 54.

Amazing what a bunch of fanatics can do to a products supposed online popularity. Remember, if this was religion, you guys would be a cult and it would be frowned upon.
Appreciate 2
Law6379.00
      07-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #122
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

The 1M is ok and it sure has staying power, but for best ever how can you not say the E46 M3?
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2018, 12:49 PM   #123
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
I think a better question would be what's the best non-M BMW car ever: in that case 335is takes it for me.
Way OT but also way off the map...
E30 325iS with short ratio MT
E31 850CSi
E24 M635Csi
E28 M535i

If the N54 came with a bigger set of turbos or they greenlighted the N55 with a larger turbo (wasn't reliability tested. Not that it was inferior), I think it'd be definitely one of the best all round M packages.
When you start going down this technical path. it'd never see production.

If mine goes kaput, a S55/S85 would be on the cards. Obviously if I had the money to do it
Outstanding list.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #124
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Sorry but that is a nostalgic view. Perhaps when the end the M2 and is it no longer available, you will appreciate it for the gem that it is up by then the performance game would have moved on and it would be eclipsed by a faster (and hopefully) more fun car that people will say is not as good as the original.
Nostalgic view is what the 1M is exactly about. It was built by Kay Segler who had a nostalgic view of what M cars had been and should still be. Simple, pure, exciting. Many of us love them because they give you something you can't get anymore. The no-nav cockpit is so simple and lovely...there is nothing today that gives you that. The M2 cockpit is too busy, gadgety and focus is diluted. The cockpit the 1M is basically says, you will get your kicks from driving not staring a glowing M2 logo where the oil temp gauge should go.

Yes it harkens back to a time where guys changed their own oil and cared what the oil temperature was. It goes back to a time where you valued steering feedback and good dynamics. Where you wanted something simple and fast and you wanted to change your own gears.

So yes, it is all about Nostalgia for sure. I miss the days where mortal enemies Gore Vidal and William Buckley would debate their strongly held positions with intelligent, cogent, respectful and well articulated discussions instead of the shouting we see today.

I think the problem is you think Nostalgia is bad but some people think simplicity is beautiful and more so in these days where it is harder to find. Simplicity is rare now and the 1M was the last BMW made that celebrated simplicity. There the excitement would come from primarily from driving.

Yes, the M2 is special enough compared to many modern cars to still be desirable in the future but it was not as special as the 1M that was a labor of love. the M2 was a wholly a business decision and engineered and built with that as its main focus. So while a great car, it is still more diluted than the 1M. You get comfort button, glowing M2 logo instead of oil temp, big screen on top of dash, idrive, only power seats and power folding mirrors, fake sound, auto blip, etc etc etc.

So it is not the fastest, best handling, most reliable M car. I would say the E46 M3 Competition in Manual transmission is because that car takes me back to a time where cars had amazing no lag sound, firm manly suspension and great steering feedback but the 1M has a special place because it was BMWs last gasp at building a car for the few remaining nostalgic fans they had left. After the 1M, the cars are built for the masses. Remember if you wanted a 1M, you could only have it in Manual transmission....this was targetted at a small group of enthusiasts, not the case for every other BMW since.
Appreciate 6
10"4962.50
seis-speed2430.50
Win42.00
1'M Blue254.00
The_Werm212.00
      07-08-2018, 02:26 PM   #125
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Every car is flawed. I drove a couple M2s and found myself a bit bored.
Strange. I hear this all the time but apart from hydraulic steering and less power, I find the 1M and M2 crazy similar. Agreed about the S55. But I mean if you want exciting drive an Z4MC or OEM+ E46 M3. These are ultimately still just soft turbo BMWs.
      07-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #126
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
It definitely would be but the only and I mean only draw back to the 1M is the n54 under the hood.. if it came with the s65 then hands down would be the best M car ever
Maybe if it had a longer wheelbase. I've heard it's a bit twitchy at track speed.
      07-08-2018, 09:50 PM   #127
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
No. Absolutely not. Not in any specific way, or as a whole.

This kind of groupie following seems to happen in any enthusiast market surrounding a more "limited" product, especially online communities, where the very small but very vocal minority incessantly preach their praises as gospel.

97% of ///M cars beat the 1M sitting perfectly still with the keys in their owners pocket. The thing looks like the hunchback of Notre Dame had a one night stand with Flavor Flav.

"But the 1M has pappy's Ole Stick".... Sure, and my neighbor mows his own lawn. Takes him twice as long and he ends up with dog shit on his shoes.

The 1M is no more special today then it was when it was announced - a pile of recycled parts slapped together around an N, I repeat N, 54.

Amazing what a bunch of fanatics can do to a products supposed online popularity. Remember, if this was religion, you guys would be a cult and it would be frowned upon.

anyone who has driven the 1M....even long before any of us owned one; called it an instant classic. You clearly have not driven one nor paid attention to WHY. Oh but someone who makes poor jokes and analogies surely thinks that owners and forum members helped generate this hype right? riiiiiiiiiiight!!! Cleverness is never preceded by mediocre attempts at being clever, FYI.

Looks wise? the 1M is more badass looking than anything in your garage.....by quite a large margin actually. Not everyone likes ordinary or pedestrian looks...

Last edited by 10"; 07-08-2018 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 01:44 AM   #128
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The 1 M was great but it was a flawed car. People just love it now becuase you can't drive up to the showroom and get one.

Agreed

Quote:
Quote:

M2 is the best M car in the current line up and overall a very good car but is very different than a 1M.

The m2 has some modernizing advantages above the 1M, better performance and significantly better cooling system. They hold up on track so much better than the out of the box 1M.

Despite m2 advantages, I personally found the m2 to feel a bit soft compared to the 1M. The m2 also feels considerably larger than the 1M and reminded me more of the size of my e92 m3.

The m2 comp, if what I have read is correct comes in around 3600lbs. Masking weight with more power makes a nice car on paper but I think the car may fall into the same trap as the f8x generation m3's and possibly tip the balance which was so celebrated with the standard m2.
Appreciate 4
Win42.00
1'M Blue254.00
10"4962.50
      07-09-2018, 01:47 AM   #129
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
Quote:
It definitely would be but the only and I mean only draw back to the 1M is the n54 under the hood.. if it came with the s65 then hands down would be the best M car ever
Maybe if it had a longer wheelbase. I've heard it's a bit twitchy at track speed.
The s65 has a low torque and a linear powerband. The s65 in an e82 chassis is more predictable than an n54.
Appreciate 1
gmx166.00
      07-09-2018, 04:15 AM   #130
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Meh. It's nice to have something called "torque". Leads to madness, kid.
Nope.. I've owned two n54 cars one stock and one fbo they have too much peak torque and run out of steam at around 5500rpm.. plus they overheat like crazy!
A true M car has never been about torque, if you want that out of a bmw get a 550i... I'll stick with my fire breathing, rev it to the moon s65 all day long!
Go away and stop trolling. I could easily buy an S65 M3 for half the price my 1M is worth but I'm not even remotely interested...
LOL at all you 1M fanboys, I'm not hating on the car I love everything about it except the engine.. just my personal opinion.. The thread is about if it's the best M car ever made and those are my comments about how it could potentially be
I've owned a couple N54 cars, my previous 335i and my current 135i. N54 is a beast of a motor but I agree with you in that it doesn't feel like an M engine. And while it's true that it has more torque than an S65 and can be modified to make big power, the 1M would be even cooler than it is now if it had an S65 or S55 in it. That said, the 1M is still my favorite M car. Now if I can just find someone to let me drive one...
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2018, 06:24 AM   #131
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Look man I think the M2 is a good car for 2018 but it is no 1M and never will be. I think the M2 is more akin to how the E36 M3 was after the E30 M3. Obviously the E36 M3 was "better" in every objective way but anyone who has driven both will find themselves far more enthralled by the E30 M3. Newer does not mean better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Quote:
Every car is flawed. I drove a couple M2s and found myself a bit bored.
Strange. I hear this all the time but apart from hydraulic steering and less power, I find the 1M and M2 crazy similar. Agreed about the S55. But I mean if you want exciting drive an Z4MC or OEM+ E46 M3. These are ultimately still just soft turbo BMWs.
A) love the Z4MC but it's incompetent as a family car. You can't raise a baby/kid in it like we have with the 1M.

B). The E46 M3 is obviously a great car; but having driven a few I prefer the more bonkers and mad scientist character of the 1M. There's more drama to the 1M...the good kind.

C) in terms of modern coupes there's nothing "Soft" about the 1M. It's not meant to have the fastest 'Ring time. It's not meant to be perfect. It was made for people who just want to drive something very enjoyable and simple. Only offered in manual. No sunroof. No comfort mode. It's not soft in any way..
      07-09-2018, 06:24 AM   #132
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmetnow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMH View Post
Lol, if you were American I'd guess you voted for nationalism.

Multiple m cars in the stable, 1M gets the best garage slot and best of my cars while my s engine car sits in the driveway; 1M's special. Go drive one.
I sold my VO 1M a couple of years ago and miss it terribly. I should have never done it.
I'm with you brother. Wish I'd never sold.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1