BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #89
Excitmnt94
Detailer & Fitness Freak
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i ///M Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumb View Post
Is there any basis to the 7-speed DCT rumor? I agree, it would be great, but is there a real chance of this happening?

Or should I just buy now off the lot?
zero...it is a pipe dream.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #90
EngPhys09
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 128i SRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitmnt94 View Post

Its good its a pipe dream, keep its front engine and rear wheel drive and a 6spd in the middle.
I'm getting annoyed now that its hard to even get a 5 series with a 6spd.

I remember discuss with E34 guys and E32 guys how great it was to find a very rare E32 with a 6spd! Those were the days.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #91
zoner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Better trim

At least give a sunvisor that looks better than a Yugos.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #92
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: women crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitmnt94 View Post
Andy Dufresne had pipe dreams, then he broke out of prison by digging his way through a sewage pipe...yeah he was covered and crap but atleast he is free and all because of his "pipe" dreams
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #93
NickR1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Yamaha R1

-lighter curb weight first and foremost
-Euro headlights!!! My dad’s ’09 X5 has clear lenses w/ an amber light bulb, why can’t they have that on all models????
-stiffer/better suspension
-more reliable for sure (HPFP, taillight, etc)
-more rim options for each package
-option for no runflats
-cheaper iPhone/smartphone integration. $500+ is ridiculous
-fully functioning A2DP audio streaming w/o needing to have it synced
-make auto-dimming side mirrors optional. I use limo tint all around and it makes the side mirrors almost useless
-option for remote start
-better quality sun visors
-wider wheel/tire options. (only so that it's easier to fit wider aftermarket rims)

I'm hoping for most of these for when my lease is up this coming February!!

fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #94
EngPhys09
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickR1 View Post
-Euro headlights!!! My dad’s ’09 X5 has clear lenses w/ an amber light bulb, why can’t they have that on all models????
-option for no runflats
-make auto-dimming side mirrors optional. I use limo tint all around and it makes the side mirrors almost useless
-option for remote start
-wider wheel/tire options. (only so that it's easier to fit wider aftermarket rims)

fingers crossed
Regarding the head lights (clear corners) looking what BMW has done across all models, euro headlights always arise mid-model life.
Look at the current 3 series it had the same amber corners but now its got those great lights (the current 3 series will remain unchanged until 2013 (? I think this is when the new model is released)
I'd bet we see major updates in 2011.

People are asking too much for this car, the car is design as a cheap small sports car. Add items like a double clutch gear box and AWD just reck the brand.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #95
NickR1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngPhys09 View Post
Regarding the head lights (clear corners) looking what BMW has done across all models, euro headlights always arise mid-model life.
Look at the current 3 series it had the same amber corners but now its got those great lights (the current 3 series will remain unchanged until 2013 (? I think this is when the new model is released)
I'd bet we see major updates in 2011.

People are asking too much for this car, the car is design as a cheap small sports car. Add items like a double clutch gear box and AWD just reck the brand.
yeah im not looking for THAT much change. more so just options. and to change the lights can't possibly be too much to ask at all, considering numerous other models have already gone to the euro scheme.

"a cheap sports car" ??????
dunno about you but I don't really consider $35,000+ "cheap".
especially when you're adding nav, m-sport, and other packages at quite a premium. it's not too much to ask for a $40,000 car to have more options, in my opinion at least.

like comfort access: why not have the option for adding remote start?
m-sport: option of not upgrading the wheels; and the option for stiffer suspension setup
premium audio: should include full A2DP support
etc, etc
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #96
EngPhys09
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
yeah im not looking for THAT much change. more so just options. and to change the lights can't possibly be too much to ask at all, considering numerous other models have already gone to the euro scheme.

"a cheap sports car" ??????
dunno about you but I don't really consider $35,000+ "cheap".
especially when you're adding nav, m-sport, and other packages at quite a premium. it's not too much to ask for a $40,000 car to have more options, in my opinion at least.

like comfort access: why not have the option for adding remote start?
m-sport: option of not upgrading the wheels; and the option for stiffer suspension setup
premium audio: should include full A2DP support
etc, etc

Oh I dont' consider $35k cheap, but within BMW brand its cheap. That's what the reference "a cheap sports car" means. Its a way for people to enter into the brand and also happens to be a great car
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #97
BlueC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
-option for no runflats
-option for remote start

fingers crossed
Lighter weight would probably result in a noisy cabin, along with other problems. It's a BMW, not a Subaru. If you want a lighter car, while sacrificing in-cabin quality, buy one of those instead.

The wheel options are relatively similar to other models offered by BMW.

BMW is fairly firm with the run-flats.

Auto-dimming mirrors are optional IIRC. Simply do not add the premium package.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #98
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
Lighter weight would probably result in a noisy cabin, along with other problems. It's a BMW, not a Subaru. If you want a lighter car, while sacrificing in-cabin quality, buy one of those instead.

Right but if you get Leather + BMW assist you might as well get premium...if you want everything in the prem package except the mirrors you cant do that.

BMW should have packages its a good idea but you should be able to order each option individually so you can remove them...

In my case I will get Prem cause it worth the price but i hate power seats and I cant remove this option
      07-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #99
BlueC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
Right but if you get Leather + BMW assist you might as well get premium...if you want everything in the prem package except the mirrors you cant do that.

BMW should have packages its a good idea but you should be able to order each option individually so you can remove them...

In my case I will get Prem cause it worth the price but i hate power seats and I cant remove this option
Yea, but if you want everything but the auto-dimming mirrors, you can do leather, bmw assist, and power front seats.

I think it's nice you can really fine tune the options like that. For me I just want leather. I have found the BMW Assist/Bluetooth option to be not worth the cost.

For one, not very many phones work well with the BMW BT. Compatibility clearly is an issue. I've only used my "SOS" button twice in the last 2 1/2 years. If i'm not mistaken, I think you still have roadside assistance even without the BMW Assist option, you just have to use your cell phone. I could be wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #100
NickR1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

the weight thing is just a WISH, what i would LOVE to see happen. the 2010's could gain weight and i'd still prolly buy one, it would just be nice to see the 1er shed a few pounds.

wheels/tires arent a HUGE issue, i just know that i'd be buying aftermarket rims and tires so i dont really wanna pay extra for wheels/tires that i'll be taking off as soon as i get the car home. but then again i'm sure i could sell the brand new rims/tires for a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #101
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the weight thing is just a WISH, what i would LOVE to see happen. the 2010's could gain weight and i'd still prolly buy one, it would just be nice to see the 1er shed a few pounds.
Would be nice to see my booty call/friend with benefits lose a few pounds...how do you break up with a girl your not going out with?
      07-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #102
BlueC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I understand it's a wish. But you're technically wishing for lower quality (or higher prices if they use more expensive lightweight materials).

That was my point.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #103
Vaaaan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jet Black 135i

Quote:
Lighter weight would probably result in a noisy cabin, along with other problems. It's a BMW, not a Subaru.
I agree that lighter weight would require sacrifices, but I don't understand this comment.. makes it sound like Subaru makes light cars. The STI weighs 3395. The 135 weighs 3373. One of the many reasons I went with the 135. I also don't understand why people think 3400 pounds is too heavy, especially for a 'luxury' car. All the extra niceties and the required safety features add up. For me, 'too heavy' doesn't start till 3500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
Would be nice to see my booty call/friend with benefits lose a few pounds...how do you break up with a girl your not going out with?
LOL you just described my weekend
      07-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #104
BlueC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaaaan View Post
I agree that lighter weight would require sacrifices, but I don't understand this comment.. makes it sound like Subaru makes light cars. The STI weighs 3395. The 135 weighs 3373. One of the many reasons I went with the 135. I also don't understand why people think 3400 pounds is too heavy, especially for a 'luxury' car. All the extra niceties and the required safety features add up. For me, 'too heavy' doesn't start till 3500.
STI being an exception. Generally though, Subarus tend to be fairly lightweight. The STI is slightly larger than the 135i, not by much, but still weighs around the same as the 135i.

I agree though, I don't think the 135i is all that heavy. Making it lighter would come with some sort of consequence (whether it be price or quality).
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #105
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

I can make your cars lighter for free...

Remove the back seats, passenger seat, take out your A/C unit & Power steering, rip up the trunk...Of course I would get to keep everything i took out.

If interested please PM me
      07-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #106
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

STI is AWD, 135xi would be a 3600lb pork.

Quote:
STI being an exception. Generally though, Subarus tend to be fairly lightweight. The STI is slightly larger than the 135i, not by much, but still weighs around the same as the 135i.

I agree though, I don't think the 135i is all that heavy. Making it lighter would come with some sort of consequence (whether it be price or quality).
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #107
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngPhys09 View Post
Oh I dont' consider $35k cheap, but within BMW brand its cheap. That's what the reference "a cheap sports car" means. Its a way for people to enter into the brand and also happens to be a great car
Not really. A 128i with typical options that BMW offers and most people get, puts you in that price. However, the 135i with those typical options puts you at about $41k. That's not a "cheap" BMW. I could have had a 328i sedan or coupe for about the same money.

Don't buy into the marketing that the 1 series is a way to "enter the brand".
If BMW really wanted that, they could have really dropped the price of the options as well and really brought the price down closer to the Z or even the Camaro, not that that will be "cheap" either.

The 1 series simply has the IMPRESSION of being a lower cost BMW. Sure, if you want NOTHING in it, not even a stereo system with more than a single DVD player.

I NEVER looked at the 1 series as a "low cost" BMW alternative, the prices for basic BMW options are the same as the 3 series. The 1 series gives you the smaller pkg. many of us were looking for, and it gives the option of getting that turbo engine in that smaller car.
How many would have bought the 135i if it didn't have the TT engine, at this price point?
I wouldn't.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #108
EngPhys09
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Not really. A 128i with typical options that BMW offers and most people get, puts you in that price. However, the 135i with those typical options puts you at about $41k. That's not a "cheap" BMW. I could have had a 328i sedan or coupe for about the same money.

Don't buy into the marketing that the 1 series is a way to "enter the brand".
If BMW really wanted that, they could have really dropped the price of the options as well and really brought the price down closer to the Z or even the Camaro, not that that will be "cheap" either.

The 1 series simply has the IMPRESSION of being a lower cost BMW. Sure, if you want NOTHING in it, not even a stereo system with more than a single DVD player.

I NEVER looked at the 1 series as a "low cost" BMW alternative, the prices for basic BMW options are the same as the 3 series. The 1 series gives you the smaller pkg. many of us were looking for, and it gives the option of getting that turbo engine in that smaller car.
How many would have bought the 135i if it didn't have the TT engine, at this price point?
I wouldn't.

That's always going to be the problem with the 1-series. The up-level owners will regard it as entry level and the BMW-image-crazed will try to justify it as a legitimate BMW to make themselves feel good.

The way I see it, it IS a BMW and it's a GREAT car. Some have bought it because they're brand-loyal and it's all they can afford while others have bought it and optioned it nicely because it's a package they're truly enthused about.

From BMWs standpoint, it absolutely was released as a car that CAN be had for less cost than other models as an attempt to attract a new market share. Based on 1addicts population, it worked! On that basis, it functionally is an entry level car--but, bear in mind that it represents entry into a very HIGH level of car. "Entry level," in this case, has no negative connotation to me.

This situation occurs with any car manufacturer. You can buy a Cobalt for $12K or you can pile the options onto an SS model for $32K (more expensive than a base model Camaro or well-equipped Malibu). BMW has catered to both the less wealthy AND the performance enthusiast with the same chassis.

Last edited by EngPhys09; 07-15-2009 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #109
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

The 1 ended up filling the role of 3rd car perfectly. A new 328Ci at near 40 was over the top (for me) but 128 nearer to 30 than 35 seemed reasonable as most everything that I wanted from the 3 was there just reduced. I think they should have reduced it a bit further (weight) but they were cautious not to dilute the luxury too much at the risk of being labeled the "cheap BMW".

For me it was a way to enter the brand because I didn't see enough value in the 328Ci to take that plunge. No 1 series, probably no BMW unless I found that perfectly optioned, well priced, CPOd 328Ci with manual, sport, brown leather in Montego or Crimson so yeah no BMW for me. Actually if not for the 1 I probably wouldn't have the 3rd car until some cool diesels finally arrived- the Jetta didn't qualify on basically all levels except MPG. The GTD looks interesting. 123d would make me consider an earlier trade in.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #110
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

2010MY Canadian specs are out in Canadian/Ordering Forums..
Appreciate 0