BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #111
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
I'd be fine with waiting until the end of the year (more time to save that down payment) but only if BMW would be up-front with us CONFIRM whether or not Military Sales will get it. This "maybe in November, maybe not" BS is starting reflect poorly on the Military Sales program and BMW in general.

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #112
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Sounds like the US as a main market (and a 2012 CAFE burden) is prioritized inside 2011 and ROW markets get their share when the US shuts down deliveries end of the year.
+1 PRIORITIZED

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #113
muwarrior07
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
I'd be fine with waiting until the end of the year (more time to save that down payment) but only if BMW would be up-front with us CONFIRM whether or not Military Sales will get it. This "maybe in November, maybe not" BS is starting reflect poorly on the Military Sales program and BMW in general.
agreed. I am tired of well maybe it will be offered. I honestly think if I wait until nov and I cant get it, I would finish off the last couple months here and buy a used car(old e46 m3 or Porsche CS) when I get back to states.

At the same time I am so close to just pulling the trigger on new M3 instead. I just don't want my decision to be based off of lack of infomation, and have a new option open up a couple months after I buy.

Errrr BMW
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #114
fuzzy_dunlop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: future 1 series

Funny... I really want the 1M, but now that I will be waiting and saving, the M3 will be in range. I will take the 1m in a heartbeat, but will settle for an M3. That just doesn't seem right. I'd have to settle for an M3. What a horrible problem to have. I hope we have some insight before November.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:26 AM   #115
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Good point dude, but don't forget... E90 M3 end of production is supposedly October (according to my dealer ) So anyone waiting too long to see if Military Sales will offer the 1M may very well miss out on both the 1M AND the M3 Sedan
(Another reason why BMW needs to tell MSP if they'll get the 1M or not )

172 of 740

Last edited by Drillslinger; 02-18-2011 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: Edited to reflect E92/3 continuing as a 2012 model
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #116
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Good point dude, but don't forget... E92/E93 end of production is supposedly this August with the E90 continuing until October (according to my dealer ) So anyone waiting too long to see if Military Sales will offer the 1M may very well miss out on both the 1M AND the M3
You may want to double-check those dates. It's my understanding the E90 will be phased out towards the end of this year, but the E92/3 will continue production well into next year.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 01:29 AM   #117
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Those dates were according to a production schedule I saw at a MSP dealer. He did mention that BMW will have some price updates on 1 March So maybe the 2011 E92/3 ends production in August and the 2012 takes over from there?? I don't know, I'm only a little interested in an M3 and just quoted the dates we saw yesterday.

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 05:02 AM   #118
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Well, Strike 2. I got word this morning that BMW Diplomatic Sales does not expect to receive any 1M allocations either. I had some small hope after seeing that a Diplomatic base price had been set. Unfortunately it appears that despite Dr. Segler's work to bring "affordable", enthusiast-focused cars to the market (GP/1M), someone at BMW/MINI has once again dashed my hopes that we customers are anything more than a means to a profit. Right now all indications are that BMW Military/Diplomatic Sales will not receive any 1M production allocations unless, near the end of production, sales are not as good as projected.

So basically, it looks like any of us MSP folks need to hope the 1M sells poorly in order for us to get a shot at it

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #119
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Good point dude, but don't forget... E92/E93 end of production is supposedly this August with the E90 continuing until October (according to my dealer ) So anyone waiting too long to see if Military Sales will offer the 1M may very well miss out on both the 1M AND the M3
That's the 2011 model year. The E90 continues as a 2011 model until its end of production. E92 and E93 will be available as 2012 models from September on.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #120
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Got it, thanks South

I've edited my comment above accordingly.

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #121
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

This is what I got today and how I replied back:

Dear Mr. ....,

Thank you very much for your email and your interest in our product.

Due to the limited production capacity of the BMW 1 Series M Coupé the decision has been made to NOT offer this model through our international diplomatic sales programme at the moment. The car can only be purchased from local dealers directly but not from our central office in Munich. Hence please don’t hesitate to contact your local dealer to enquire if the vehicle is available in this country.

Sincerely,

Dirk Schneider

--------------------------------------------------------

BMW Group

Business Development & Sales Services (VH-40)

International Direct & Special Sales

Dear Mr. Schneider,

Thanks for the clarification. That was really helpful.

That is not a very good decision by the way. For sure BMW will be able to sell all of the 1Ms that will be produced but contrary to your company's estimate BMW will also loose customers like me who has been waiting for a BMW car like this since some time and not expecting to face this kind of comercial minded decision of not making the car available for the ones who desired and waited it most. This has to be contrary to BMW values and the reliability of the diplomatic sales program.

BMW might be loosing more than a few thousand 1Ms that is going to be sold out soon because I have owned 3 BMWs before and I would probably buy another 3 or 4 in the future. Loosing loyal customers of the brand can not be a good marketing decision in the long term for any car company. They should at least put a small quota of maybe a 100 or so cars for diplomats who would order first and then call it a day. This could be acceptable but NOT selling the car to diplomats just because by selling it only to non-diplomats will bring more profit is a wrong and annoying decision. So much so that I for instance am questioning why do I like BMWs and not go to alternative brands.

By not selling 1M, actually BMW just made Audi sell another TT RS! And if I like it I will stick with that brand for another 1 or 2 purchases. And I have a feeling that I am not the only one among the diplomats or among the non-diplomats too because the car is "kind of" limited for them as well. BMW decision makers should be aware of what I am sharing with you here because that is one bad decision. BMW just succeeded limiting itself of not selling anything to a group of potential customers, most of whom already owners and advocates of BMWs, for some time.

If you came this far reading all I wrote I can only congratulate and thank you one more time for providing the first bit of reliable information I could reach since a few months. I guess nowadays BMW is so busy of selling trucks I should not be expecting anything better. My bad.

Regards.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #122
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

If that is a letter you sent expect it to be filed in Herr Schneider's shredder.
      02-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #123
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
If that is a letter you sent expect it to be filed in Herr Schneider's shredder.

You would have to come up with better reasoning and sounder logic than that....because in reality to BMW us military people are a very, very, very small percentage of sales numbers and to be honest I do not think it is very high on their priority list. Does it suck? In a word, YES! Is there anything we can really do about it besides complain? No, not really....truth hurts....
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #124
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Maybe have someone proofread your letter next time. That was painful to read.

Be glad they offer the military/diplomatic sales program at all - many automakers don't. One thing about military folks that kills me sometimes is the entitlement. You really don't expect them to part with a limited production car that is in high demand for below MSRP, do you?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #125
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

You should have concentrated on the core issues of the situation.
The phrase I believe is "short and sweet".

Criticizing the company for building profitable "trucks" which are profitable and responsible for funding cars you admire and adhere?
Is very reminiscient of the days of the Anti-Bangle campaign when some brought a petition to "Sack" Chris Bangle... I thanked them , took it to my superiors who had one look and threw it in the bin.
      02-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #126
671rover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '94 D90, '95 D90 SW, '11 VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Be glad they offer the military/diplomatic sales program at all - many automakers don't. One thing about military folks that kills me sometimes is the entitlement.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #127
Tank
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG/997.2 GT3 RS

I'm no fan of SUVs and its ilk diluting the Motorsport heritage of companies like Porsche and BMW. But have to agree as long as the profits earned by manufacturing them also enable the companies to come out with gems like the GT3 or 1M (I haven't driven one but all the reviews including the one by respected journo Chris Harris seems to be positive), I can live with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #128
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:

Be glad they offer the military/diplomatic sales program at all - many automakers don't. One thing about military folks that kills me sometimes is the entitlement.
Most do. Seems like you need to do some research.

And you're right we military folks are such spoiled brats.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #129
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
^^^I have seen it both ways HGR (military brat 18ys, 11years active duty, military contractor since '02). Some of us truly appreciate the perks and stay humble...but there ARE those that think that they are doing something and that it is their right to get those perks....Got my final dose of this back in '03 when e-7 above were awarded Bronze Stars no matter what they did between Mar-May '03....even if it was sitting back in Kuwait eating sub-sandwiches while junior enlisted were stirring shit and eating MRE's and got ARCOM's (Army Commendation medal)...those E7's and officers actually thought they DESERVED those medals....wow...not to mention how they treat contractors (upwards of 80% prior service AND veterans). So yes you guys can be spoiled brats.....
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #130
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You really don't expect them to part with a limited production car that is in high demand for below MSRP, do you?
Actually, I think you'll find that a lot of us don't care if it comes in @ MSRP or not. I know MY biggest complaint is the fact that we haven't received any allocations at all. I'll GLADLY pay the 46,135 base if BMW would just SELL me a 1M

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #131
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
^^^I have seen it both ways HGR (military brat 18ys, 11years active duty, military contractor since '02). Some of us truly appreciate the perks and stay humble...but there ARE those that think that they are doing something and that it is their right to get those perks....Got my final dose of this back in '03 when e-7 above were awarded Bronze Stars no matter what they did between Mar-May '03....even if it was sitting back in Kuwait eating sub-sandwiches while junior enlisted were stirring shit and eating MRE's and got ARCOM's (Army Commendation medal)...those E7's and officers actually thought they DESERVED those medals....wow...not to mention how they treat contractors (upwards of 80% prior service AND veterans). So yes you guys can be spoiled brats.....
I agree, but it isn't all military. And that's what he made it seem like. I would argue that anyone that HASN'T served most assuredly takes way more for granted than anyone that has.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #132
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually, I think you'll find that a lot of us don't care if it comes in @ MSRP or not. I know MY biggest complaint is the fact that we haven't received any allocations at all. I'll GLADLY pay the 46,135 base if BMW would just SELL me a 1M
Then why don't you just find a stateside dealer that will do ED?

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0