BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #1
Mstafa
Rep
Drives: Black 535i n55

Help! 535i n55 keepsshutting off

Hello everyone
My sisters 2012 535i i think its the n55 engine, out of no where started shutting off everytime you turn it on. Some times it keeps cranking for about 3 second before starting with low rpm and struggling to stay on before shutting off again. I tried starting it and giving it some gas few times up on starting it, after few tries it turned on perfictly fine with no issues at all accept a check engine light. After starting it, it worked fine but when she leaves it off for 8 hours or so the issue seems to come back.

Some notes

It has gasket leak and the sparkplugs area has some oil but dont think its enough to start issues

The check engin code is under DTC saying 101F01 Throttle valve opening angle - intake intake pipe absolute pressure, comparison pressure too high.

Im planing on diying the issue if it doesnt reauire any heavy parts to be pulled out.

Any help would be highly appreciated as we are both students and getting a bimmer was the worst idea so far!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstafa View Post
Hello everyone
My sisters 2012 535i i think its the n55 engine, out of no where started shutting off everytime you turn it on. Some times it keeps cranking for about 3 second before starting with low rpm and struggling to stay on before shutting off again. I tried starting it and giving it some gas few times up on starting it, after few tries it turned on perfictly fine with no issues at all accept a check engine light. After starting it, it worked fine but when she leaves it off for 8 hours or so the issue seems to come back.

Some notes

It has gasket leak and the sparkplugs area has some oil but dont think its enough to start issues

The check engin code is under DTC saying 101F01 Throttle valve opening angle - intake intake pipe absolute pressure, comparison pressure too high.

Im planing on diying the issue if it doesnt reauire any heavy parts to be pulled out.

Any help would be highly appreciated as we are both students and getting a bimmer was the worst idea so far!
Just an FYI you're in the wrong forum, this is the 1-series forum. But, the N55 is the same across the platforms so someone might be able to help here.

A few things... Oil around the "spark plug area" is bad, short of a spill, I'm not sure what would even cause that. The engine code could be a few different things, seems common among tuned n55 F10's, is the car tuned?

I do not recommend trying to force the car to run, if it's having issues you shouldn't be pedaling the throttle to get it to start up, you're asking for trouble with that. Get it fixed first.
      12-03-2018, 09:10 PM   #3
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Oil leak may have damaged the valvetronic, based on error. Without the error I would guess LPFP
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 05:23 AM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Check for oil contamination at the valvetronic connection on top of the valve cover.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
Mstafa
Rep

Thsnk you for your time everyone!
The car id not tuned everything is stock and its being driven very normal no speeding or racing.

I tried starting it last night. After 3 tries it worked perfectly fine even when i turned it off and back on it was good. But if i go now and try it its going to give me the same issue again. Seems like warming the car up is fixing the issue and not sure what that means. Does it sound like valvetronic issue? Do you have a video on how to check the oil contamination? Thank you again!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #6
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
Oil leak may have damaged the valvetronic, based on error. Without the error I would guess LPFP
Even with a malfunctioning VVT motor, it would still run as I had this issue. It'll throw it into limp mode but will run and won't cause any harm to the engine.

Check the valve cover for any cracks as it could be the issue with the oil and spark plugs. Get it changed if it's cracked, that will cause many a issues.

You can check my name to see the post I made in regards to changing this part. It took almost 10 years with no instructions on how to change it. Don't attempt it by yourself as there is many issues that you can run into but you could follow my post for a guide if you will, but there is a link to the INSA instruction.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      12-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
Mstafa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havocsteve View Post
Even with a malfunctioning VVT motor, it would still run as I had this issue. It'll throw it into limp mode but will run and won't cause any harm to the engine.

Check the valve cover for any cracks as it could be the issue with the oil and spark plugs. Get it changed if it's cracked, that will cause many a issues.

You can check my name to see the post I made in regards to changing this part. It took almost 10 years with no instructions on how to change it. Don't attempt it by yourself as there is many issues that you can run into but you could follow my post for a guide if you will, but there is a link to the INSA instruction.
Thank you for the replay! I checked valve cover looked ok and the only issue i see is gasket leak around the rear of the engine and top of it. Maybe thats the issue? Also how can i check if its in limp mode or not please? As it was driving completly fine
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #8
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Quote:
Thank you for the replay! I checked valve cover looked ok and the only issue i see is gasket leak around the rear of the engine and top of it. Maybe thats the issue? Also how can i check if its in limp mode or not please? As it was driving completly fine
You'll have the check engine light on and the car will only have half the power. That's limp mode.

I would suggest changing the gasket and using my post as a guide. It'll be easier if you take the box on the left side of the engine compartment and open it, and move the wires off the engine while you re-tighten the screws holding the valve cover on. Clean it and use a few dabs of gasket maker on the new gasket and valve cover to make sure it doesn't fall out. Makes life easier.

What exactly do you mean by top of it? Can you take some pictures and upload them to imgur and share? We can help out better with visual aids.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 07:40 AM   #9
Mstafa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havocsteve View Post
You'll have the check engine light on and the car will only have half the power. That's limp mode.

I would suggest changing the gasket and using my post as a guide. It'll be easier if you take the box on the left side of the engine compartment and open it, and move the wires off the engine while you re-tighten the screws holding the valve cover on. Clean it and use a few dabs of gasket maker on the new gasket and valve cover to make sure it doesn't fall out. Makes life easier.

What exactly do you mean by top of it? Can you take some pictures and upload them to imgur and share? We can help out better with visual aids.
Do you think the gasker might be creating this issue? And i meant there is some oil on top of the engine by the spark plugs area just little oil. I tried taking photos but you cant see anything at that angle. This issue driving me crazy and no one seems to understand it!!!
Do you recommend to repost the question? Thank you for your time though!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 07:46 AM   #10
________
________
Rep

So you're saying you fixed the gasket leak, checked for contamination on the valvetronic connection and replaced the valvetronic actuator and you still have the issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 07:55 AM   #11
Mstafa
Rep

Quote:
So you're saying you fixed the gasket leak, checked for contamination on the valvetronic connection and replaced the valvetronic actuator and you still have the issue?
No sorry havnt done any of those steps. I tried cleaning the spark plugs area only. Can a leaky gasket do all that? And do you know of any good video or guide i can follow to check valtronic please?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 08:24 AM   #12
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No sorry havnt done any of those steps. I tried cleaning the spark plugs area only. Can a leaky gasket do all that? And do you know of any good video or guide i can follow to check valtronic please?
@Kyngofpop

Kyng, I know you have a V8, but can you help the fellow? Thought you'd be the best to provide the input!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #13
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@Kyngofpop

Kyng, I know you have a V8, but can you help the fellow? Thought you'd be the best to provide the input!
I wish I could help because I have replaced all of the parts he's mentioned several times over and my issue persists. I gave up and made appointment with the dealer on 12/26 for them to have a look at it. These cars aren't friendly to the DIY mechanic at all and like the OP the choice to buy BMW has been my worst decision in life to date.

Good luck man...
      12-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #14
Mstafa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngofpop View Post
I wish I could help because I have replaced all of the parts he's mentioned several times over and my issue persists. I gave up and made appointment with the dealer on 12/26 for them to have a look at it. These cars aren't friendly to the DIY mechanic at all and like the OP the choice to buy BMW has been my worst decision in life to date.

Good luck man...
Are you having the same issue as mine?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 02:39 PM   #15
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngofpop View Post

Good luck man...
Are you having the same issue as mine?
Very similar
      12-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #16
Mstafa
Rep

Update
Hello. I was able to start it today on the first try. It turned on fine but after one minute the rpm started dropping and the car kept pushing it up to keep the engine running. The weather was little warm I think that's a factor of it starting on the first try. I noticed pressure while the car is on and removing the oil cap. I recorded 2 videos of the issue on YouTube. Links below

Video 1

Video 2
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 05:00 PM   #17
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Everyone here can only GUESS as to your sister's problem. WHAT you need to do is have the car's codes scan'd with a BMW scan tool or something like CarlyApp.

The N55 doesn't have a traditional throttle body. It use's the cam timing(Valvetronic) to adjust the engine's idle speed and driving with the throttle.

Perhaps it's something as simply as the wrong oil viscosity(non BMW spec oil?) in the engine ? Perhaps it's something else. With out a proper scan tool... we all here can only guess.

You do realize that a leaking Valve Cover or spark plug hole o-rings makes the same effect as removing the oil cap.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #18
swunder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is, x3 m40i, V70R

Bring the car to someone who knows what they are doing before you ruin the engine completely.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      12-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #19
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Pressure, a better layman's term would be vacuum. And there should be vacuum at the oil cap. Nothing to fret over there.

That tapping though. Might just be exacerbated by the phone but that may be something. I don't know what's all in there so best I can manage is a guess of a collapsed lifter maybe.

But being mention of a potential oil leak and most things pointing to something oil related,,, is the oil level correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #20
Mstafa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Everyone here can only GUESS as to your sister's problem. WHAT you need to do is have the car's codes scan'd with a BMW scan tool or something like CarlyApp.

The N55 doesn't have a traditional throttle body. It use's the cam timing(Valvetronic) to adjust the engine's idle speed and driving with the throttle.

Perhaps it's something as simply as the wrong oil viscosity(non BMW spec oil?) in the engine ? Perhaps it's something else. With out a proper scan tool... we all here can only guess.

You do realize that a leaking Valve Cover or spark plug hole o-rings makes the same effect as removing the oil cap.

Dack

hey sorry for the late reply, I bought the carly app and the adapter to get the scans you recommended and was wondering if you recommend anything else. I turned it on today for about half an hour to charge the battery a bit, it turned on fine with no issues and stayed on with no issues, the rpm dropped a bit few times at start but nothing too low. the car is good to drive and everything but chick engine is still on with the following faults. the air bags disregard the airbags faults as I'm working on replacing them in the near feature. oil level is at half between min-max and i get my oil from fcp Europe and use the recommended oil by them and the car manual.

Fault Report - Carly for BMW
FV
Base: F10
Build-Year: 2012
Faults: 137
ECUs: 28
Filter: just found
Model: 5 (F10, F11, F18) Automatic engine recognition (MotorID=994, Parameter=159)
Battery: 14.5V
ADDITIONAL OBD: OFFNormal communication
Normal connection
normal
B 2
Date: 2018-12-23 15:22:43
Carly Adapter
Motor Control:
Engine / Motor

Radiator shutter, top: upper stop detected early
Code: 138701
Throttle angle - intake manifold absolute pressure, Comparative pressure too low
Code: 101F01
Mixture Control: mixture too lean
Code: 118001
Tank ventilation system shut-off valve, control: Line break
Code: 191B04
Tank vent valve control: Line break
Code: 191004
Tank vent valve control: Short circuit to earth
Code: 191002
Start voltage transformer / starter generator, control: Short circuit to earth
Code: 218402
DMTL solenoid valve control: Line break
Code: 190004
DMTL leak diagnosis pump control: Line break
Code: 190704
DMTL solenoid valve control: Short circuit to earth
Code: 190002
DMTL, Heating, control: Short circuit to earth
Code: 190502
DMTL leak diagnosis pump control: Short circuit to earth
Code: 190702
Mixture Control: mixture too lean, large deviation
Code: 118401
Power Management: Consumer reduction active
Code: 213901
Air mass plausibility: air mass to low
Code: 102002
Motor Control:
Central Gateway / zentrales Gateway
Prerequisite reset terminal 30F Alarm Clock
Code: 801C10
Application shutdown Terminal 30F Alarm Clock
Code: 801C11
Faulty asleep 30B
Code: 801C15
Central memory full error
Code: 801C20
ABS / DSC / Brake:
Dynamische Stabilitäts Control / DSC
Severe undervoltage Local Power
Code: 480964
Left Front - Air Gap Too Big wheel speed sensor
Code: 4809A8
Under-voltage power supply Global
Code: 4809AB
Rear left - Failure Mode Since permanent error suspected wheel speed sensor
Code: 4809B1
Back Right - Failure Mode Since permanent error suspected wheel speed sensor
Code: 4809BA
General - Existing few seconds suspected error 2-3 Rdf temporarily incurable error -
. Wheel speed sensor
Code: 4809D3
Error message
Code: D35557
Error message
Code: D3556D
Error message
Code: D35744
Error message
Code: D358E1
Error message
Code: D35B3F
Error message
Code: D35586
Hand brake / Feststellbremse (EMF)
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Airbag:
Crash safety / Airbag
Resistance to large pockets driver Stage 1 - SC1
Code: 930904
Resistance to large bags Driver Stage 2 - ZK2
Code: 93090A
Driver airbag resistance too large valve - ZK3
Code: 930910
Resistance to large pretensioners driver - ZK7
Code: 930928
Resistance to high load limiters Driver - ZK9
Code: 930934
Short circuit to ground head airbags right - ZK24
Code: 93098B
sorry, unknown fault
Code: 930BB9
sorry, unknown fault
Code: C95418
sorry, unknown fault
Code: C95419
sorry, unknown fault
Code: C95432
Transmission Control:
Getriebesteuerung /Transmission
Error message
Code: CF1461
Error message
Code: CF1501
Error message
Code: CF1511
Error message
Code: CF1521
Error message
Code: CF1531
Error message
Code: CF1541
Gear switch / Gangschalter
Error message
Code: E09424
Instrument cluster:
Instrument cluster / Kombiinstrument
After a short Ub Tank Sensor links
Code: E12C01
After a short Ub-tank sensor right
Code: E12C03
Error message
Code: E1145B
Error message
Code: E1145C
Error message
Code: E1145E
Error message
Code: E11474
Error message
Code: E1147A
Error message
Code: E11480
Undervoltage detected
Code: B7F685
System time is set back
Code: B7F668
Error message
Code: E11498
Error message
Code: E12C1C
Redundant data in Cas Filed
Code: B7F665
Error message
Code: E114A6
Error message
Code: E12C21
Errors in gear position, gearshift point indicator-messages-Can (recognized by the
graphics card)
Code: B7F68C
Error message
Code: E12C2B
sorry, unknown fault
Code: E11467
sorry, unknown fault
Code: E12C38
Central info display / Zentrales Display
Undervoltage detected
Code: 800370
Zentrales Info Display hinten rechts
ECU not present/no response from ECU
Head-Up-Display
Light/Rain Control:
High beam / Fernlicht
Heating / AC:
Air conditioning / Klimaanlage
Undervoltage detected
Code: 80120D
Error message
Code: E71402
Error message
Code: E71406
Error message
Code: E71413
Error message
Code: E71415
Error message
Code: E71416
Error signal
Code: E71429
Error message
Code: E71448
Air conditioning / Klimaanlage
Aircon rear /Klima Heck
Immobilizer System:
CAS
sorry, unknown fault
Code: 930769
sorry, unknown fault
Code: 93076A
sorry, unknown fault
Code: 93076B
sorry, unknown fault
Code: D91410
Park distance control:
Park Distance Control / PDC
Error message
Code: E21407
Cruise Control:
Active cruise control / Aktive Geschwindigkeitsregelung
Sunroof / Roof:
Roof / Dach Funktionen
Error message
Code: DE9406
Engine is not started by overvoltage / undervoltage (FAH)
Code: 801A38
DWA-mail alert details in the alarm memory
Code: 801A3A
Shd: Invalid property, no normalization presence
Code: 030215
Esh: Invalid property, no normalization presence
Code: 030295
Sine: External power supply
Code: 801A4B
Sine: Inclination Sensor defect
Code: 801A51
Deactivation IRS and inclination sensor by customer function
Code: 801A4A
Audio/Navi/Communication:
Interior camera/Innenkamera
Top_Rear_Side_View_Kamera
Undervoltage detected
Code: 800B9F
Timeout
Code: CA940A
Rear Entertainment /Entertainment hinten
Multimedia-Changer / Wechsler
Telephone
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Digital Satellite-Tuner USA
Central control rear/ Zentrales Bedienelement hinten
CD-Changer / Wechsler
Driver assitant / Fahrerassistent
Seats:
Driver seat rear /Sitz Fahrer Heck
Rear seat passenger/ Beifahrer Sitz hinten
Driver seat /Sitz Fahrer Heck
Undervoltage detected
Code: 8029D4
sorry, unknown fault
Code: 802A1E
Seat passenger/ Beifahrer Sitz
sorry, unknown fault
Code: 802C1E
Systems:
Junction Box
Short circuit to ground or open circuit - battery sensor, WakeUp line (WUP)
Code: 8020DB
30F terminal reset / shutdown
Code: 8020E8
Missing LIN Slave - K-LIN 6 xAUC sensor
Code: C90D74
Fuel pump / Kraftstoffpumpe
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Nightvision
Central Control / Zentrale Bedieneinheit
Undervoltage detected
Code: 801405
Tire pressure control / Reifendruck
HDD des CIC
Anti-theft alarm system:
Video Switch
Chassis:
Steering switch cluster / Schaltzentrum Lenksäule
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Air suspension / Luftfederung
Dynamic vertical / vertikale Dynamik
Body:
Steering / Aktivlenkung
Trailer / Anhaenger
Fussraummodul /FRM
Environmental error (Over-/undervoltage overtemperature headlight driver module
(TMS) Links
Code: 800FC5
Environmental error (Over-/undervoltage overtemperature headlight driver module
(TMS) Right
Code: 800FC4
Data error or timeout headlight driver module (TMS) Links
Code: 800FC3
Mirror undervoltage
Code: 800FB9
fog light fault
Code: 800F3A
fog light fault
Code: 800F3B
Has fog output short circuit left
Code: 800F3C
Welcome Light-repeat active
Code: 800F92
Lighting the active-repeat
Code: 800F93
ELSV undervoltage
Code: 800FA8
Error message
Code: E58500
Error message
Code: E58501
Error message
Code: E58503
Error message
Code: E58510
Error message
Code: E58511
Error message
Code: E58507
Lm Lin bus error Tms links
Code: 800FC8
Integrated Chassis Module / Längs+Querdynamik
:Global supply voltage external
Code: 48279B
Error message
Code: D01646
Error message
Code: D01744
:Error message
Code: D02C67
Error message
Code: D018E1
Error message
Code: D02D54
Error message
Code: D01557
Error message
Code: D02D58
Error message
Code: D01558
Error message
Code: D0156D
Error message
Code: D01570
Error message
Code: D01B3F
Error message
Code: D01A08
Axle rear / Hinterachse
Roller left /Aufroller Links
Roller right /Aufroller Rechts
Tailgate / Hecktuer
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Damper front left / Rad vorne links
Damper front rechts / Rad vorne rechts
Damper rear left / Rad hinten links
Damper rear right / Rad hinten rechts
Other:
Tire pressure control / Reifendruck Kontrolle
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Steering /Lenkung
:Power supply - Local undervoltage reduce steering assistance
Code: 4823FC
sorry, unknown fault
Code: 4823FF
sorry, unknown fault
Code: D518E1
Code: D51744
Code: D51C1B
Code: D51C1F
Code: D51414
Flexible Bus-Interface / Schnittstelle
ECU OK, no Fault Code
Car Communication Computer CCC
:All function blocks Registered most nodes
Code: E1C447
:Monitoring circuit reset was triggered
Code: E1C440
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 03:58 PM   #21
Mstafa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Pressure, a better layman's term would be vacuum. And there should be vacuum at the oil cap. Nothing to fret over there.

That tapping though. Might just be exacerbated by the phone but that may be something. I don't know what's all in there so best I can manage is a guess of a collapsed lifter maybe.

But being mention of a potential oil leak and most things pointing to something oil related,,, is the oil level correct?

the car been off for about a week. i start it ones a week to charge the battery for 30m. i don't drive it as i don't want to damage anything. oil lvl is at half between min-max. no oil leaks under the car or cover. a lot are recommending to take it to a shop and have it fix but the issue is we don't have enough funds to spend on it as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 02:59 AM   #22
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

There is alot of backstory on this we're not getting.

And TBH, this is all well over your head. Bring it to a pro and have it ALL repaired.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00