BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-19-2017, 09:24 PM   #1
bluebeemer
Dinan S3, VRSF FMIC,Inlets,Whiteline RSFB, M3 arms
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i MT

RB Turbo inlet and VRSF FMIC install

Installed the VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC and RB Turbo inlets a couple weeks ago and thought I'd pass on my assessment of the products and effort to install. I was going to wait for ATM to get their FMICs back in production but ultimately decided that with my mild tune (Dinan stage 2 running 13-14 psi boost) I did not need one of the very top of the line FMICs so I saved $500 and went with the VRSF.

Delivery and packaging: Both items arrived in a week or so and were very well packed with no damage or missing parts.

Quality of the items: The RB turbo inlets were high quality and I was especially impressed with the machined aluminum adapters for the diverter valve connections. The VRSF intercooler appeared to be high quality with good welds etc, and the t-bolt clamps and silicone hoses were good quality. The cast end tubes were reasonably well finished.

Installation time: I spent about 8 hours doing the install of these two items. I removed the fan and that helped a lot. Additionally,doing the two installs together had some efficiencies as well. I have done little mechanic work on beemers before and the entire process was new to me and was taking my time. The worst part was installing the 2 bolts for waste gate valve bracket - I never did actually lay eyes on the lower bolt in the assembled position and it took 45 minutes to get these two bolts in largely by feel alone. I did not remove any of the O2 sensors as I disconnected all four from their harnesses and fed the upstream ones through the engine compartment as I pulled the downpipes. No surprise, the rear RB turbo inlet takes a LOT of force and many hands to get in position. I could probably repeat the entire process in 5 hours a second time.

Installation fit: The RB turbo inlets lined up to everything perfectly. I would give them a 10/10 on fit. Initially I had difficulty getting a good fit on the FMIC but got it squeezed in. It was very dark (overcast) the day I installed it as the next day in the bright sun it was OBVIOUS I had some remaining interference with plastic components and removed it, made room, and the fit was then very good. My only complaint would be the screws that came with the FMIC were too short and only had 2-3 threads of engagement into plastic and needed washers to properly engage the oversize screw holes in the intercooler tabs. I went to Westlakes and got two long furniture screws with a very coarse threads (matching the threads of the original BMW screws) but about an inch longer and two fender washers. The final fit is actually very good and very secure, but not having the proper fasteners I'd give VRSF a small hit on installation fit. I also changed out the three front steel fastener clips on the "plastic tray from hell". The original clips are about 5/8" high which are more difficult to slip under and past the FMIC. I swapped the front three out with standard flat ones and that made for a better installation.

I would recommend both of these products. Both vendors were very responsive to my questions leading up to my purchase.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Good to hear positive feedback, thanks for the review and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0