BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

FMIC vs. PPK Cooling? Opinions PLEASE!

Question...

My engine/power-based mods are going to include the newest PROcede (on order), BMS DCI (in the mail) and Meisterschaft GT axle-back exhaust (in the garage).

As I have a bit more $ left in the budget, I was considering either a FMIC or the cooling components (only) from the BMW PPK. These components would include the additional radiator, performance fan, etc. from the PPK, but not the tune as I'll have the PROcede.

As I plan to keep my '10 (N54) forever (eventually making it a dedicated track car), my goal with this next purchase is to protect the engine (heat, etc.) as much as possible, considering the PROcede boost increases, while creating more power efficiency overall.

I'd REALLY appreciate opinions/thoughts on this topic. Is the FMIC the wiser option? Or, would additional cooling via the BMW cooling components (or otherwise) be a better call?

THANKS for any/all feedback.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

FMIC hands down.
      04-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBW View Post
As I have a bit more $ left in the budget, I was considering either a FMIC or the cooling components (only) from the BMW PPK. These components would include the additional radiator, performance fan, etc. from the PPK, but not the tune as I'll have the PROcede.
Have you been able to locate separate part numbers and costs for these individual components outside of the PPK?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
Have you been able to locate separate part numbers and costs for these individual components outside of the PPK?
No. (I know, I'm assuming I can get them.)

Fundamentally, I suppose the question is...

If you're going to run higher boost (via tune) and you will be sucking in a bit more hot air (via DCI), what's the best way to keep temperatures (turbo air intake, oil, water) in check? What's the one best option?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

IMHO....FMIC. Heat soak comes on easy with the stock one, especially with increased boost, even if you don't track it. High intake tems will cause timing pulls and decreased power (no fun when you are on the track and seeing your times go up instead of down). Also FMIC will make a difference in most any driving situation while the cooling upgrades, while nice, would only really be of notable benefit on the track. Do the FMIC now, and when you get ready to dedicate the 135 to frequent track time you should have been able to save enough to get the cooling upgrades then. I would also bet that in the coming months there will be additional cooling options (for both oil and water temps) hitting the market that will be less $$ thatn what BMW will want. Just a thought....
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Bimmer View Post
IMHO....FMIC.
Some good thinking for sure LA-Bimmer. Thanks!

I too have heard there may be another cooling option or two coming soon, so I may in fact get the FMIC now. I am going to check to see how much the BMW cooling components would be. If they're not too much $ (I know, unlikely), I'll consider them. Otherwise, wait to see what else comes out.

NOW, which FMIC is the question?! (Oh boy, another tough decision.)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:

As I plan to keep my '10 (N54) forever (eventually making it a dedicated track car), my goal with this next purchase is to protect the engine (heat, etc.) as much as possible, considering the PROcede boost increases, while creating more power efficiency overall.
\
THANKS for any/all feedback.
Wouldn't the FMIC maximize track performance in heat but other options might be better for your stated objective of protecting the engine?

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
kirby135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

fmic will allow ur car to make power with less boost...so yeah it helps the engine...also a good oil catch can will help for longevity.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 12:38 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
Why couldn't you just order the (seperate)PPK parts from a 335is? Don't forget the "335is" now comes with those parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 06:49 AM   #10
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
Wouldn't the FMIC maximize track performance in heat but other options might be better for your stated objective of protecting the engine?
Other than an ideal basic maintenance schedule (oil changes, etc.) it appears as if heat is the biggest issue overall. I know the factory/PROcede software will do much to protect the engine in general. I want to tackle the "heat issue" with mods to take additional precautions and ensure I'm getting the most out of the motor. I don't know what else can be done to extend the life of the motor, but if you do let me know!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 06:50 AM   #11
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby135i View Post
...also a good oil catch can will help for longevity.
I'm going to look into that. Recommendations?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #12
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Why couldn't you just order the (seperate)PPK parts from a 335is? Don't forget the "335is" now comes with those parts.
Good thought. Maybe so! I'll check.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 07:07 AM   #13
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
cp-e FMIC includes an additional oil cooler.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372527
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #14
BahamaBart
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

No doubt if your going to be running significantly higher boost a larger IC will ensure that the IC is not a flow choke point.

When it comes to engine temp management nothing beats water/meth.
Exterior Bling| Kerscher splitter |
Interior Bling | Bimmian pedals | 3P Cars gauage |
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #15
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Other than an ideal basic maintenance schedule (oil changes, etc.) it appears as if heat is the biggest issue overall. I know the factory/PROcede software will do much to protect the engine in general. I want to tackle the "heat issue" with mods to take additional precautions and ensure I'm getting the most out of the motor. I don't know what else can be done to extend the life of the motor, but if you do let me know!
I'm in the same position you are. Coming into the hotter weather and running a GIAC tune I was gung-ho to buy an FMIC first to help protect the engine and second to get a bit better performance. But a lot of folks were saying that if keeping things cool for engine longevity were the primary purpose something like a secondary oil cooler would do a better job for the money.

I'm still trying to decide.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #16
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
cp-e FMIC includes an additional oil cooler.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372527
Very interesting. They sure are trying to do quite a bit in that space jamming an oil cooler in there! And, it does block the radiator a bit from what I see. Still, it may be a good "dual" solution. (I read their white paper too.)

I am going to do a FMIC, as well as additional oil and/or water cooling. Still researching options...

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #17
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaBart View Post
When it comes to engine temp management nothing beats water/meth.
That's tempting, but I'm not quite ready to do meth. Maybe somewhere down the line.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #18
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm still trying to decide.
Me too! It's tough when there are so many options and no standards in terms of testing/performance data.

Any/all companies out there that have well-documented performance gains, both FMIC as well as oil and/or water cooling upgrades ...do tell!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #19
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Me too! It's tough when there are so many options and no standards in terms of testing/performance data.

Any/all companies out there that have well-documented performance gains, both FMIC as well as oil and/or water cooling upgrades ...do tell!

Thanks!
I like what I've seen with HPF
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #20
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Ah, cool. I haven't been following the 335is. I'll look into that, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #21
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I like what I've seen with HPF
Yeah, me too. Plus, the install looks really easy. And, the brackets appear very secure.

I'd really like to see weights on the various FMIC options! I know that more weight is supposed to be a good thing in a FMIC as it allows for more heat transfer, etc., but it's also WEIGHT at the tip of the car! It would be GREAT to have performance figures (in and out temps., pressure, etc.) alongside weight to really compare units!
Appreciate 0