BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #1
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Exclamation PDC-SG Module

Well guys, I am now the victim of the PDC-SG module meltdown.

So some backstory,

Jumped into the car with the wifey to take her to work. We both smelt something, but it wasn't like omg wtf is that smell. Just a faint smell of something. I was coughing and actually being affected by it but because I was sick a little while back (inhaled some fire extinguisher by accident) I attributed it to that. Driving down the road (mini highway to downtown) all of a sudden the car goes nuts. Light on the light up and the car says electrical short, pull over. I open the engine bay and check things out, everything electrical that I know of seems to be in good working condition. Then I remembered some people on here with water in trunk. Open the trunk, had a bottle of windshield fluid on the passenger side rear truck area (where the netting is located) and noticed the bottle of windshield fluid was over 2/3rds gone. Take it out to see it has a pinhole leak (probably from heat over the warm days we've had here) and it just saturated the foot-well area of the trunk. I'm pretty sure the module is fried because it was submerged halfway in the foam holder with windshield fluid. Pulled everything out, grabbed my fiber towels and began absorbing as much of the fluid as possible and then just drove the wifey to work (10 mins to her place of work). Drove home and removed everything, checked the other module (everything seems to be good there, no wetness or caked on fluids) but the PDC-SG module had some wetness and the connectors were damp also.

My big question here is, while driving, the navigation and gauges were going bonkers. Even showed a transmission malfunction (can't put car into P). The cluster and navigation would shut off and come back on randomly and weird shit like that. Honestly, I don't think anything is wrong besides the module being fried but I'm a bit on the had a rough week side and thinking that something else might be wrong. Would that PDC-SG module control that much? not just the PDC?

Sorry for the long post. I somehow have to get the local BMW shop and special order this PDC-SG module (just under $500) because the only one is in Regina Canada which is a 2 day drive away basically. Just worried about the above question.

P.S. Called the pops (he is literally the smartest guy I know when it comes to engines and such), he suggests I clean the board of the caked on windshield fluid on the transistors and the like, try it out and might save the money. I feel like that would be a losing battle. Open to suggestions guys. The trunk is air drying out now.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 03:01 PM   #2
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Guessing I'm the only lucky one who has a PDC module malfunction?

Went to my work, got an extra vehicle so I can get around. While I was there, I soaked the board in electrical cleaner and also brushed the caked on windshield fluid off the board. Hoping that might do the trick, worth a shot anyways.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #3
StuP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Nothing to lose trying to clean and dry it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Update:

Put the module back into the holder. Plugged it in a couple of times to make sure the connectors attached to the car didn't have any issues with the pins. Turned the car on and let it idle. Pulled up mhd to check codes and got a full page worth. Cleared them nd the check engine light turned off so no more lights on the dash. Turned it off and turned it back on to see if any codes would show up and mhd says its got none. I'm going to take the car for a spin after some time with the pops for his day. See if anything shows up. So far things are looking good.

http://imgur.com/gallery/G804343

First image is the original codes that showed up when it was freaking out while driving.

Second is the codes after I cleaned the board for over 30 minutes. It shows so many. So I'm pretty sure this module is for everything listed.

Final is the car after clearing the codes and turning the car back on to idle for a few minutes.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
Moooshay
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible 6M

Since the module is networked, it could have caused all those codes just with the way it was behaving. Good job cleaning it out. I just got mine this past weekend and noticed the PDC doesn't appear to be working. I don't have a I-drive controller, so I'm guessing it is sound only. Time to diagnose.....
Appreciate 0