BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #1
BMWfan69
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Coupe, AW/Terracotta

Wheel and Tire upgrade options for 128i

I am taking delivery of a new 128i in about a week. I did not get the sport package. So, I am now considering upgrading the wheel size to 18" style 182 BMW rims with a more aggressive tire. I figure it will cost less for the dealer or the vehicle distribution center to put them on rather than me doing it later. I plan on upgrading to the BMW performance suspension in a few months and I want to have the 18's on there already.

1. Will the suspension need to be tuned for the change in wheel size?

2. Will their be a positive difference in performance, or will I just be riding higher until I add the perf suspension?

3. What are my best options for a performance tire? How wide should/can I go with the style 182's? I'd like to stick with the run flats for now, but I'm not married to them.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan69 View Post
I am taking delivery of a new 128i in about a week. I did not get the sport package. So, I am now considering upgrading the wheel size to 18" style 182 BMW rims with a more aggressive tire. I figure it will cost less for the dealer or the vehicle distribution center to put them on rather than me doing it later. I plan on upgrading to the BMW performance suspension in a few months and I want to have the 18's on there already.

1. Will the suspension need to be tuned for the change in wheel size?
NO.

2. Will their be a positive difference in performance, or will I just be riding higher until I add the perf suspension?
Yes, there will be a much

3. What are my best options for a performance tire? How wide should/can I go with the style 182's? I'd like to stick with the run flats for now, but I'm not married to them.
1. No
2. Yes there will be a positive difference in performance
3. Lots of great options, it really depends on your budget and how you want to use them. Read through the posts here in the WT forum and you'll see that most people are running Dunlops/Hankooks/Michelin Pilots. Switching out the runflats to a standard radial tire makes such a huge difference it's almost indescribable. Personally I have Dunlop Star Specs (225/255) and I love them.

Couple suggestions.

1. It might be more "convenient" to have the dealer switch out the wheels/tires, but unless they are giving you some sort of a credit towards the purchase of the new wheels by taking your OEM wheels, you are probably better off checking out the sales forum here/eBay/craigslist. Yes you'll have to pay to have them mounted at some point, but you'll pay much less for the wheels if you buy them on your own. That isn't the "most popular" wheel so you might have a tough time finding them second hand, but I know that Dan from United BMW does sell them for a decent discount.

Plus if you do this then you'll have your OEM wheels to use as a set to mount some snow tires on.

2. When you switch out the runflats, get yourself some kind of flat repair kit to use in emergencies like this Slime kit.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
BMWfan69
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Coupe, AW/Terracotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
1. No
2. Yes there will be a positive difference in performance
3. Lots of great options, it really depends on your budget and how you want to use them. Read through the posts here in the WT forum and you'll see that most people are running Dunlops/Hankooks/Michelin Pilots. Switching out the runflats to a standard radial tire makes such a huge difference it's almost indescribable. Personally I have Dunlop Star Specs (225/255) and I love them.

Couple suggestions.

1. It might be more "convenient" to have the dealer switch out the wheels/tires, but unless they are giving you some sort of a credit towards the purchase of the new wheels by taking your OEM wheels, you are probably better off checking out the sales forum here/eBay/craigslist. Yes you'll have to pay to have them mounted at some point, but you'll pay much less for the wheels if you buy them on your own. That isn't the "most popular" wheel so you might have a tough time finding them second hand, but I know that Dan from United BMW does sell them for a decent discount.

Plus if you do this then you'll have your OEM wheels to use as a set to mount some snow tires on.

2. When you switch out the runflats, get yourself some kind of flat repair kit to use in emergencies like this Slime kit.
Thanks for the input. Yes, I was assuming that the dealer/VDC would give me a credit for the OEM rims and tires. That is the only reason I would do it. However, maybe that is not the case now that you mention it. I am waiting to hear back from the dealer to see what he will do.

Also thanks for the input on the slime kit! I really hate run flats but was worried about what to do without a spare if I switched. That slime kit is a great idea.
Appreciate 0