BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #111
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
I don't need to check again… I don't need to report back. I Got an OFFICIAL RECALL letter. Done!
People just want to know what it says for your VIN on the website so they we can get an idea of the website says there is a recall for people who have an OFFICIAL RECALL LETTER. You don't have to be a jerk about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #112
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcoja View Post
People just want to know what it says for your VIN on the website so they we can get an idea of the website says there is a recall for people who have an OFFICIAL RECALL LETTER. You don't have to be a jerk about it.
Obviously you're not paying any attention to the posts on this thread or you would've seen that I've already answered that question. 128Convertableguy is arguing that there's not even a recall yet when and I and other people have already proven that there is because of the official recall letter that we've received, but he still wants to argue about it and tell me there isn't one and to look up my VIN on BMW"s website when I've already said I have and it says "information is not available at this time", probably because they're updating it. PAY ATTENTION! And you're the jerk, JERK!

Last edited by Esteban; 07-16-2014 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #113
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

Well that was rude.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #114
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcoja View Post
Well that was rude.
And you weren't?
      07-16-2014, 10:20 PM   #115
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

I certainly wasn't.

Many of us whose cars were included on the April letter are being left in limbo, with no online info, and dealers and a BMW customer service telephone line, who say they only know what's in the April letter, and no more. So, since you got a more specific letter, we'd like to know if there's any other way for us to get more info. If your car is also listed on either website, that would be useful for us to know. If you don't want to take the trouble, fine.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 07-16-2014 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:22 PM   #116
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
I certainly wasn't.

Many of us whose cars were included on the April letter are being left in limbo, with no online info, and dealers and a BMW customer service telephone line, who say they only know what's in the April letter, and no more. So, since you got a more specific letter, we'd like to know if there's any other way for us to get more info. If your car is also listed on either website, that would be useful for us to know. If you don't want to take the trouble, fine.
If you haven't gotten an official recall letter yet then you're probably fine since the letters were sent out last month, just don't say there's no recall when there is one, ok?
      07-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #117
rsr552
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Haven't taken my car yet to the dealership...but this morning I heard a faint pop noise and the car went into limp mode right after that on the highway. -__-

2011 135i with about 45000 miles

Last edited by rsr552; 07-24-2014 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #118
Unklejoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

It's a race against the clock for me....

I hope the recall hits before my VANOS sprocket rejects its bolt!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #119
rsr552
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Update for anyone who is interested...The techs were not able to replicate the loss of power (limp mode) so apparently they wanna keep the car over night since they heard a "weird rattle noise under the hood"

With that said...my build date is July 2010...and when I went into limp mode no Check Engine Light went on....Upon engine restart limp mode never came back for me...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #120
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

When's that letter gonna come that says the parts are in so I can call my dealer and make an appointment?
      07-25-2014, 01:08 AM   #121
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep

Smile

Quote:
When's that letter gonna come that says the parts are in so I can call my dealer and make an appointment?
Or, when is the BMW site going to be "updated"? I still get "info not available". Or, when is the "recall" going to show up on the NHTSA site?

So far this "recall" consists of BMW sending out some CMA letters.

If BMW has no new VANOS bolts, how are they building new 335s or other 3.0 sixes here and in Europe? Did the design completely change?

This is all very strange.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 07-25-2014 at 01:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 05:13 AM   #122
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Or, when is the BMW site going to be "updated"? I still get "info not available". Or, when is the "recall" going to show up on the NHTSA site?

So far this "recall" consists of BMW sending out some CMA letters.

If BMW has no new VANOS bolts, how are they building new 335s or other 3.0 sixes here and in Europe? Did the design completely change?

This is all very strange.
You didn't get a recall letter in June, right? That means your car's probably not included in the recall so why worry about something that doesn't affect you?
      07-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #123
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep

Angry

Quote:
You didn't get a recall letter in June, right? That means your car's probably not included in the recall so why worry about something that doesn't affect you?
Here's why. Because this "recall" is so messed up I don't have reasonable assurance of that. My car is listed on the official BMW letter to NHTSA, and there is absolutely no info available that reverses that. No public info about which VINs are in, and which are out. Not on the web, not at the dealers, and not from BMW customer service.

That VIN based info IS available from both BMWs and NHTSA's websites when there is an actual recall, ie cars getting fixed. In the absence of that, simply not getting one of BMWs CMA letters is not reassuring. They have shown complete incompetence on this "recall".

BMW has really messed up their customers on this one. You've been told you have a serious safety issue but, after more that three months, BMW can't get parts? You think that's competent? I've been left in limbo for months, uncertain as to what's up, or whether it's safe to take a trip to an isolated location. There are tens of thousands of BMW customers in one of those two binds. At this point it's arguable whether BMW or GM is handling recalls worse.

Still think the problem is that the BMW website hasn't been updated?

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 07-25-2014 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #124
parnet
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is convertable

Just got off the phone with BMW NA , taking my 11MSport camping in Sept out west and plan on putting over 7k miles on and going places that don't have many dealers around. Did one 2 yrs ago in my 08 135 and put over 9k on it. I called my dealer to have my windshield wiper motor replaced and asked what the story was on the recall. Of course they had no clue and suggested I call NA so I did. Only info I got was the letter we got was a general recall with another letter coming out the end of Aug with more model specific info which he didn't have.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #125
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's why. Because this "recall" is so messed up I don't have reasonable assurance of that. My car is listed on the official BMW letter to NHTSA, and there is absolutely no info available that reverses that. No public info about which VINs are in, and which are out. Not on the web, not at the dealers, and not from BMW customer service.

That VIN based info IS available from both BMWs and NHTSA's websites when there is an actual recall, ie cars getting fixed. In the absence of that, simply not getting one of BMWs CMA letters is not reassuring. They have shown complete incompetence on this "recall".

BMW has really messed up their customers on this one. You've been told you have a serious safety issue but, after more that three months, BMW can't get parts? You think that's competent? I've been left in limbo for months, uncertain as to what's up, or whether it's safe to take a trip to an isolated location. There are tens of thousands of BMW customers in one of those two binds. At this point it's arguable whether BMW or GM is handling recalls worse.

Still think the problem is that the BMW website hasn't been updated?
You do whatever you want, worry and complain over a recall letter that you DIDN'T get. They're not going to send you one that says your car's NOT part of the recall. I'm waiting on that SECOND LETTER that tells me the parts are in. I'd like it sooner then later but I'm confident that it will eventually come. What do you think this is, part of some kind of conspiracy? Come on, really?

If you're worried that it's going to happen to you then don't take that trip to that isolated area you're talking about.

Me? I'll be driving like I always do knowing that if anything goes wrong (although highly unlikely) BMW will be footing the bill.

By the way, how many cars do you know of that actually had their vanos bolts break loose anyway?
      07-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #126
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep

Unhappy

Quote:
You do whatever you want, worry and complain over a recall letter that you DIDN'T get. They're not going to send you one that says your car's NOT part of the recall. I'm waiting on that SECOND LETTER that tells me the parts are in. I'd like it sooner then later but I'm confident that it will eventually come. What do you think this is, part of some kind of conspiracy? Come on, really?

If you're worried that it's going to happen to you then don't take that trip to that isolated area you're talking about.

Me? I'll be driving like I always do knowing that if anything goes wrong (although highly unlikely) BMW will be footing the bill.

By the way, how many cars do you know of that actually had their vanos bolts break loose anyway?
Did you not read parnet's post? I'm far from being the only person with this issue.

It's not an evil conspiracy. But it surely is incompetence, and lack of concern for customers. I'm not looking for a personal letter. I am looking for information from the BMW or NHTSA websites. Or my dealer. Or BMW customer service. I'm not choosy. Three plus months after the NHTSA letter and the press release is a long time for no serious action from BMW.

"This is a test. It is only a test. Had it been an actual recall, we'd post it on our website, and NHTSA would post it on theirs. Dealers and BMW customer service would be able to provide information instead of shrugging their shoulders. And we'd be fixing cars instead of just sending out CMA letters."

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 07-25-2014 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #127
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you not read parnet's post? I'm far from being the only person with this issue.

It's not an evil conspiracy. But it surely is incompetence, and lack of concern for customers. I'm not looking for a personal letter. I am looking for information from the BMW or NHTSA websites. Or my dealer. Or BMW customer service. I'm not choosy. Three plus months after the NHTSA letter is a long time for no serious action from BMW.

"This is a test. It is only a test. Had it been an actual recall, we'd post it on our website. And we'd be fixing cars instead of just sending out CMA letters."
Yes I did read parnet's post. Did you? My dealer did confirm the recall. My recall letter indicates my specific VIN. Sorry you're frustrated. I'm not! I know what's going on.

You quoted me when I said "When's that letter gonna come that says the parts are in so I can call my dealer and make an appointment?" and then went on one of your rants that was directed at me. When you direct it at me I'm going to respond.

Notice when I posted that I wasn't quoting anybody. It was just a general comment to everybody and nobody in particular.
      07-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #128
sfrel78
Rep
Drives: bmw

10/10 build here 2011 x5 with the n55.

does anyone else think it's curious that prior to this recall bmw would NOT replace only the vanos bolts, but instead required that both of the vanos gear assemblies be replaced?

also, i have what appears to be FAQ document regarding this recall that i have not seen posted elsewhere, if anyone is interested. my car is going in tomorrow. i've had enough of this bs.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #129
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrel78 View Post
10/10 build here 2011 x5 with the n55.

does anyone else think it's curious that prior to this recall bmw would NOT replace only the vanos bolts, but instead required that both of the vanos gear assemblies be replaced?

also, i have what appears to be FAQ document regarding this recall that i have not seen posted elsewhere, if anyone is interested. my car is going in tomorrow. i've had enough of this bs.
I am very interested. Has your dealer agreed to do the work?

I think the assemblies were replaced when the bolts broke. They perhaps feel that, if the bolts haven't broken the rest of the assembly should be OK.

At this point, I have little faith in BMW's competence on this, though. The whole thing is a mess.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #130
sfrel78
Rep

Quote:
I am very interested. Has your dealer agreed to do the work?

I think the assemblies were replaced when the bolts broke. They perhaps feel that, if the bolts haven't broken the rest of the assembly should be OK.

At this point, I have little faith in BMW's competence on this, though. The whole thing is a mess.
i too have practically no faith in bmw na. i shudder at the thought of them opening up my n55. i don't know what the dealer is going to do, but i am having long cranks and now am getting the reduced power check engine warning. perhaps those issues are from bad vanos bolts? bad hpfp? something else? i really just want them to do the vanos recall and update my software to see if that fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #131
sfrel78
Rep

vanos recall qa
Attached Images
File Type: pdf B110414_QA.pdf (61.5 KB, 1191 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #132
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
2/2011 build 128i here...no letters so far, and the "recall" web page still says to try again later. Hope they get this straightened out soon so I can either get the car in for the repair or forget about it.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0