E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > For those of us on here who are living vicariously...

02-22-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
thedean786
A Herald of Doom
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Fancy Car

For those of us on here who are living vicariously...

Through the rest of you, what would be the best piece of advice that you could give a perspective 3-series owner? And yes, I know the old "go buy one" is already covered....
      02-22-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailing Shark

If you're looking for the most luxurious soft, tranquil ride, go to a lexus dealership.

If you are looking for an inspiring drive, Drop it to 2nd and get to that e90 before some badge-biased smuck gets there first and gives us all a bad name!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
the ultimate driving machine
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 04:06 PM   #4
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Advice? Decide first if it is the car for you which it may not be. I note that you are driving an I35t. It is a nice, luxurious front drive car that is very different than the E 90 BMW. The I 35 has interior room and trunk space more comparable to an E 39 BMW.

If after driving an E 90, if you determine that it is for you, determine what equipment you need/want then shop several dealers, comparing apples with apples. Don't listen to us with regard to engine or transmission choice, colors, i-Drive or whatever. You will be the one driving it and your needs (and prejudices) are the only ones that matter. Happy shopping and by the way, the Infinity G 35 is a fine machine and you might get a better trade on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 330i

I think the badge biased schmucks have long won the BMW battle. Probably 90% of BMWs are bought by people who only want the badge. (not many on this forum though - probably)

So support the minority and buy one for the right reason!!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 04:19 PM   #6
2006bmw
First Class Privates
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

What kind of advice are you looking for? You're driving an Infiniti, you apparently used to own a 328, so you understand what a bimmer's about. It's not difficult to go test drive an E90. What are you asking??
      02-22-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedean786
Through the rest of you, what would be the best piece of advice that you could give a perspective 3-series owner? And yes, I know the old "go buy one" is already covered....
From my perspective, I think you prospective 3ers should not hold back.

I don't know what your financial status is, but for $400/month or less you can be driving a modestly optioned 325i and be in driving bliss.

Go now. Stop what you're doing and order a 325i with heated seats and nothing else. I'm serious. Get up and go. Get!!

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 04:48 PM   #8
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Inevitability

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedean786
Nice pic.

I think the next step is to get an invoice sheet (I think there are stickies around here) and start to run numbers. There are enough threads about options...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 06:59 PM   #9
thedean786
A Herald of Doom
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Fancy Car

I drive the I35 because that is what the insurance money could get me and at the time I was out of a job. I was saving up for one and as of last December lost my job again due to layoffs. I love beamers and my family has always been a big fan of there cars even moreso after the 328 saved my life. Trust me I want one so badly but the circumstances right now are just not right.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in...I appreciate it and look forward to sharing the good news when I finally do have one!
      02-23-2006, 12:21 AM   #10
Thavash
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 320i Red

Garage List
2018 BMW 320M  [0.00]
2005 320i  [0.00]
Well , how are the roads in the area where you live ? If they're not in the best condition , I wouldn't recommend 18-inch wheels since the low speed ride is a bit bumpy. This depends on preference though - Some people wants looks over everything else.
I would also always recommend a 6MT - it's a BMW after all.
Also , I regret getting the standard sound system - upgrade if you can.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2006, 12:24 AM   #11
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

The 330i is worth the extra money with the performance and standard features it includes, so get that unless you're on a real tight budget. I also recommend a manual, but that's just my personal preference. If I wanted an automatic I probably would have gotten an IS.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2006, 01:43 AM   #12
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

I'm quite the realist and don't play favorites. I tell it like it is.

While I don't own an E90 (currently considering one, for what it's worth, and that's why I post here), I own and have owned/driven several generations worth of 3 series cars. I'm rather blunt about what the cars can and can't do.

First thing I tell a prospective buyer is that if they're looking for a performance car, look elsewhere. The 3 series is fairly heavy, slow, and recent generations have a very pronounced tendency to understeer. Yeah, you can take corners in them, but you can take corners in the Acura TL or A4, also. Even a Camry or an old Volvo wagon can be wielded with some precision in the right hands. Yes; I've seen it happen myself!

Second thing I tell them is that if they're looking for absolutely bulletproof of reliability (meaning they can't tolerate small - but annoying - problems here and there) or ass-kissing dealership service, look elsewhere. Self-explanatory. I've owned enough of these things to know by now that while their reputation for electrical issues and general unreliability is vastly overblown, they still have their fair share of annoying quirks. And the dealerships aren't really held accountable by BMWNA for their behavior. Some are great, some are terrible. Buyer be warned.

Third thing I tell them is that if they're looking for a comfortable commuter that's relatively fun to drive even when it's not being pushed to the limit, they're probably looking in the right place. I do always laugh whenever I see somebody using a beater in place of their 3 series. Why???

The "Ultimate Driving Machine" advertising slogan is misleading; most people take it to imply that BMW is a performance oriented company. They are - but only if you're talking about the M division. It's quite a bit of a stretch to call a 325i or 530i a performance car. Maybe they're a bit faster than your average sedan, a bit more agile...but only a bit. They're not sports cars.

Even then, I'm starting to think the M division has lost a bit of focus, as well - though their engines are generally superb, the E46 version of the M3 was a huge disappointment in my eyes (really, a touring car - nowhere near the street legal race car that the original E30 was in its day). It's funny to note that the E46 M3 is as heavy as the old E34 M5. The M5 is what it is, but BMW is currently missing (and has for some time) that street legal track car I just mentioned to round out the lineup...they desperately need to build a V8 powered Z4 coupe as soon as possible to restore my faith in the M division. Oh, and I don't really want to pay to $90,000 to get my four door performance fix. Bring back the M3 sedan!!!

What BMW does do is offer six (or more) cylinder engines, rear wheel drive, manual transmissions, and four doors in the same car, across most of their line up. You can get a six speed manual and rear wheel drive in any one of their four door cars (or wagons) short of a 7 series. Infiniti and Lexus only have one apiece, and I don't really consider the G35 sedan or IS250 to be particularly appealing models. Acura and Audi have none. Mercedes-Benz only has two, one of which isn't even worth buying (the new non-kompressor C230, meh) In short, no other manufacturer currently does this.

Quite simply, most of BMW's cars offer a balanced compromise that appeals to me. If that's ever lost, I'll go elsewhere if I have to.

Hey, if it looks like a brick, smells like a brick, and feels like a brick, it probably is a brick. The 3 series, 5 series, and whatnot, are exactly as they appear to be: comfortable sedans with some sporty highlights. Nothing more, nothing less.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2006, 03:07 AM   #13
Dizzy330i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYRIIDE1113
If you're looking for the most luxurious soft, tranquil ride, go to a lexus dealership.

If you are looking for an inspiring drive, Drop it to 2nd and get to that e90 before some badge-biased smuck gets there first and gives us all a bad name!
Just wanted to say that in the new issue of Motor Trend they have a 330i, IS350, C350 Sport comparo in which they say the harshest riding car is the IS. Funny, considering it also isn't the best handling one. They give lots of praise to the updated W203 merc, though--even though it's already 6 years old. Although it still comes in 3rd as a "driver's" car, it offers the most comfortable ride and the second best in performance (straight line). I guess it kinda puts the IS in some sort of limbo between the two polar ideals. Well, in the U.S. we all seem to praise straight-line performance somewhat excessively. From that perspective, it certainly delivers.
      02-23-2006, 03:30 AM   #14
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
The 3er is simply a well-balanced class act.

I'm not speeding around town looking for races like a numbskull, and though I'm astute to technical specs, don't lose sleep over performance numbers comparisons. As for living vicariously, I prefer to live through experiences of my own wants and desires.

I picked the e90 because as a car enthusiast it best suits my personality and wants in a car. It's an expression of my individual tastes. I'll take it on a drive around the Palos Verdes Peninsula or twisty Pacific Coast Highway near the Coast with the sunroof open, with some cool tunes, because this is one way I can enjoy life. I'm passionate about the driving experience, not about racing on the street.

This purchase was about pampering myself for a change.
      02-23-2006, 04:45 AM   #15
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
I'll tell them that the e90 is the ultimate overpriced, eletrical problem causing, rattling, unreliable piece of crap driving machine.

There goes one bmw potential buyer headed to lexus. Which translates into one less E90 on the road. yay.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2006, 06:21 AM   #16
oilbelcher
Private
Rep
Drives: 320 td (diesel)

I find it absolutely amusing how some people buy a car, aggressively defend their purchase decision by saying x, y, and z is better/best (while choosing to ignore certain comparisons), and then be happy that other people choose to buy the competitive model only because it makes their car more "unique" on the road. If you want to buy a car to make an impression or advertise your status, buy a mercedes/lexus. If you want to be unique on the road, heavily modify and completely debadge any car. If you want a well balanced sporty sedan (that offer MT, RWD, sporty handling, and nice engine), and don't mind paying a premium to have that unique combination, then buy a BMW. I buy a car based on these characteristics only -- I could care less if there are 3 million of the same cars on the road, all with the same color. I buy because that is want I want, and because I thoroughly enjoy the driving experience -- and don't care what other poeple think. When I owned my G35 (which was very sporty with a nice engine, but had other annoying traints like poor interior with rattles/noise), it was nice because it didn't carry all the stereotypical connotations that people have with any expensive foreign car. It was unique at the time, and half didn't even know what it was because there wasn't an infinit dealer in 150 miles -- but that didn't get me excited or make me proud. People thought he must like sporty cars that are a joy to drive (without negative status connotations), and they were right. Everybody has different buying criteria, and expresses themselves differently.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2006, 11:12 AM   #17
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilbelcher
I find it absolutely amusing how some people buy a car, aggressively defend their purchase decision by saying x, y, and z is better/best (while choosing to ignore certain comparisons), and then be happy that other people choose to buy the competitive model only because it makes their car more "unique" on the road.

I buy a car based on these characteristics only -- I could care less if there are 3 million of the same cars on the road, all with the same color. I buy because that is want I want, and because I thoroughly enjoy the driving experience -- and don't care what other poeple think.

Ditto, I bought my car because its what I wanted and not because its something someone else had or someone else suggested.

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2006, 11:28 AM   #18
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
You guys are really growing up.

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0