BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #67
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
ask me if I care. At the end of the day, I am going to own the car not him; driving it in real time, real world, and not on any "circuit".
oh yeah, and about doing lap over me, what you don't know... can be your ignorance. I guess ignorance is a bliss
then whats the point of even watching a review of any performance car? pretty much every single one talks about how the car performs on a "circuit" because its actually relevant to the purpose of the car...

also you do realize its still in its development stages? BMW has been a PITA with what the press can or cant do with the car, how can you expect a full blown review when they give the press only a few minutes to drive around? also im pretty sure that guy sitting next to him was a representative of BMW making sure he wouldnt do anything BMW didnt want him to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadeucsb View Post
Agreed...
Everyone praising Chris in past posts, yes, hes a solid journalist, but this video is nothing more than his wish list of M car attributes. Waste of 5min.
i dont know if you heard what he said in the beginning but BMW only gave him 20minutes to drive it. correct me if im wrong but arent journalist given at least a few hours to test a car? that being said i think he did a great job by listing those attributes that are found/expected in a M car and trying to see is this 1M had any of them. also we have to assume that BMW went over this video before it was released to make sure nothing that they didnt want to be known (yet) was said.

maybe im just plain stupid, which is probably the case, but i dont see what else he could have done to make this review more informative.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #68
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Rep
Drives: on twisty roads

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [8.00]
2011 M3  [10.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [10.00]
2011 335iS  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
then whats the point of even watching a review of any performance car? pretty much every single one talks about how the car performs on a "circuit" because its actually relevant to the purpose of the car...

also you do realize its still in its development stages? BMW has been a PITA with what the press can or cant do with the car, how can you expect a full blown review when they give the press only a few minutes to drive around? also im pretty sure that guy sitting next to him was a representative of BMW making sure he wouldnt do anything BMW didnt want him to do...

i dont know if you heard what he said in the beginning but BMW only gave him 20minutes to drive it. correct me if im wrong but arent journalist given at least a few hours to test a car? that being said i think he did a great job by listing those attributes that are found/expected in a M car and trying to see is this 1M had any of them. also we have to assume that BMW went over this video before it was released to make sure nothing that they didnt want to be known (yet) was said.

maybe im just plain stupid, which is probably the case, but i dont see what else he could have done to make this review more informative.
+1. I doubt there was much he could've have done in twenty mins. I guess people have seen a lot of these previews and just expected something more, but a full blown review is still a few weeks or months away. Overall, a good preview.

The Power of M
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #69
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadeucsb View Post
Agreed...

Everyone praising Chris in past posts, yes, hes a solid journalist, but this video is nothing more than his wish list of M car attributes. Waste of 5min.

not sure if you noticed, but as he listed what an M car should have - they showed that the 1M does have these things.

minus a m produced motor. we get stuck w/a n54 w/some tuning.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #70
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

He did not seem very impressed by the sound or the throttle response of the car. Ofcourse, turbo lag cannot give what N/A gives, but that is what N/A is all about.

I am not saying one is better than the other since they have their own advantages, but I would call bullsh*t on anyone that says it feels like the Ms the way we have known them for the last 15 years. It is the simple rule of accepting changes, can't have your cake and eat it too so I hope people stop drumming up "this is a real M blah blah". It is NOT and get over it! The fundamentals have changed for better or for worse so look at as a completely new chapter and let the previous chapter close.

Seems like BMW has spent far more money advertising and publicizing the cars as a "goosepimple producer" than the actual R&D of the car. Such a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Notice his comment about throttle response.....he keeps focusing on the "top of the rpm range" being good, but no mention of the lower range. Sorry, I just don't see that response being NA like. That will be the real test for me.

Cheers,
e46e92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedM6 View Post
I agreed with everything you said up until the 3rd last line (see BOLD and UNDERLINED above)

they are not testing waters, if anything they just know its not like a real M car (no M heritage), therefore they are possibly pushing the car onto the magainzes and the testers and making sure they say "good" things, such as " it drives like a real M car".

PS. Those gauges are disgusting, it looks like a fucken Subaru WRX or somethign.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 11-03-2010 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #71
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKumarM3 View Post
not sure if you noticed, but as he listed what an M car should have - they showed that the 1M does have these things.

minus a m produced motor. we get stuck w/a n54 w/some tuning.
Yea, I guess I didn't see the same video you did....I saw a huge list of M wish list attributes and maybe talking about 1 or 2 of them as they relate to the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #72
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
The 1M may end up being more of an //M car, than the one you are driving. It's too bad you don't see this.
stealing parts from an M car does not an M make

i was all for the 1M before it came out, i would have sold my M3 and bought it.
lighter, smaller, more nimble
heck they had me when i read they had the E30 M3 as the benchmark
but when i realized it was a souped up 135is, they lost me
i was at the M power tour the other day
and the guy was saying that the M3 shares only 20% of its parts with the regular 3 series

with the 1M i guess it will share a lot more parts with the regular 135
but
they will charge an arm and a leg for it
so why am i paying so much for it?
other than the M badge
i'd rather get a 135 and spend about $8k in parts and go to dinan
and get a 400hp machine.

i want a real M
with a custom designed engine (not fitting a slightly different turbo)
specially engineered suspension, brakes, and all the good bits that make an M3 much better than a 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #73
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

and the guy was saying that the M3 shares only 20% of its parts with the regular 3 series

with the 1M i guess it will share a lot more parts with the regular 135
but
they will charge an arm and a leg for it
so why am i paying so much for it?
other than the M badge
i'd rather get a 135 and spend about $8k in parts and go to dinan
and get a 400hp machine.

i want a real M
with a custom designed engine (not fitting a slightly different turbo)
specially engineered suspension, brakes, and all the good bits that make an M3 much better than a 335i
Much better at being slower around a track than a 135i with $2000 worth of mods? It's also better at wasting fuel, not that I care, some people do.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #74
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:

Don't cross it off your list until release or have test driven one. If you have been following 1 series development, this generation of 1M was never to meant be. It's unknown how the car eventually got the green light but the facts they had a shorten life cycle so they had to make do what's already available.

Don't be surprised if this trend continues as corporations face increasing pressure to cut cost and doing so through using COTS parts. Next generation M3, last I heard, is going to use modified N55 engine, sharing more parts with regular 3 series and use of turbo.

Last edited by Robert; 11-03-2010 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #75
onefastdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
+1. sounds like mumbo jumbo to me
That's like saying "Walter Cronkite? Who is this guy and who cares."

He is a well know automotive journalist, and he happens to own an e92 M3 as well. Maybe do a little research before dismissing his review as mumbo jumbo.
2008 E90 M3 sold
2007 E92 335i (369whp, 354wtq) sold
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #76
technik330
Captain
Rep
Drives: STi

This thread is disappointing.

I can't believe how many people are whining about specs on a car that hasn't even been released, nor thoroughly reviewed.

The amount of insecurity floating around in here is nothing short of laughable.

The people swearing the 1M isn't an ///M car; you're lost and insecure, period. If this car isn't an ///M car; why did the ///M division take the time to design/modify/badge/etc it and call it an ///M car?

We already have access to an "iS" vehicle, the 335iS. When looking at the 335iS it's clear to see the difference, in modifications/designation, between the 335iS and the 1M.

The 1M will be utilizing different turbochargers, revised suspension, brakes, and an LSD. The 335iS lacks all of those items and as such is designated as an iS model, not an ///M.

Don't get me wrong; I love the 335iS and want one! I just find it somewhat hilarious that this thread is loaded with people that beileve they're professional auto journalists and the "word" on what makes an ///M car, an ///M car.

With that said: Please feel free to get back to pointless bitching about a car that we wont see for at least another 1-2 more months.
'18 Subaru STi Type RA #350
'19 Honda Civic Type R #31191
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #77
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:

Does your current car feel like a "real M" ...? Because, to me... it isn't.
Why do you say that? It's the fastest, best performing M3 to date. Pretty much every single review of the E9x M3 states that it is the best M3 yet. An M car is all about high performance, an engaging driving experience, as well as daily drivability. This is exactly what the E9x M3 is. In fact one could argue that it's the purest M car to date.

I love the 1 series and am excited for the 1M coupe, but some of you 1M fanboys are ridiculous especially considering the car isn't even out yet.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #78
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:

well what feels like an M to you?
i'd love a brand new E30 M3, and i'd pay good money for it
i had an 88 M3 and it was the nicest car i've ever driven
but those kinds of cars are not happening anymore
my M3 weighs 1000lb more than an E30 M3
but the 1m isn't exactly lightweight
My M3 has parts designed for it
and only it
the 1M has the engine from a 335is (with few changes)
brakes, wheels, tires, limit slip diff, etc etc from an M3
can you guess which cost more to make?
can you guess which car has better value?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #79
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post
Much better at being slower around a track than a 135i with $2000 worth of mods? It's also better at wasting fuel, not that I care, some people do.
and what track is this?
is it imaginary?
you might get more power out of a 135, but trust me
you won't outrun an M3 for $2k
unless the track looked like this
      11-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #80
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

That is what you "gungho loyalist" say whenever the debate comes up.

I am sorry. I would love to like the 1M much like I have admired the evolution of M cars from E46 M3 to Z4 M to M5 E60 to E92 M3. I never resisted the idea of V10 taking the place of V8 and a V8 taking the place of inline-6 since the formula of what made them great was the same.

I never once doubted these cars as being pure enthusiast cars without sacrificing practicality since they have all the formula and passion of what makes car driving fun. These were cars that had engines built to fit their chassis. Not the other way around. It is much more than numbers.

Unfortunately, 1-series loyalists can only get defensive when people who are not blind brand loyalists open the debate and don't have the "BMW can do no wrong" attitude. I really wish I could think like BMW brand loyalists or even welcome this 1M much like I had been exciting about every other M car in the last 10 years, but I can't. Sorry.

Quote:

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #81
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
and what track is this?
is it imaginary?
you might get more power out of a 135, but trust me
you won't outrun an M3 for $2k
unless the track looked like this

I bet, my manual 135i on Map 8 with race gas, camber plates and my Yokohama AD08s could set faster times than your M3, regardless of track.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #82
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

At least let them build a production 1MC before praising or blasting it too much.

We obviously have enough solid info to be excited to see the real deal here at 1addicts. Those of us who have been fans of the E82 platform for years now have been anxious to see what ///M would do with it, and we're almost there.

Really, if you don't enjoy video of a renowned enthusiast who happens to be a good orator too explain that he's genuinely excited about this car... why are you here?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #83
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Really? I outran two at autocross, with JB3 on map3 only. I've been in an e36, e46 and e90 m3, all while being driven hard. They aren't some magic machines.....

I bet, my manual 135i on Map 8 with race gas, camber plates and my Yokohama AD08s could set faster times than your M3, regardless of track.
You know autox is like 90% driver? There was a guy in a stock hyundai elantra that was faster than 80% of the bmw's at an autox event I attended. Does that mean the elantra is faster than the M3?

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #84
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
dont know if you heard what he said in the beginning but BMW only gave him 20minutes to drive it. correct me if im wrong but arent journalist given at least a few hours to test a car? that being said i think he did a great job by listing those attributes that are found/expected in a M car and trying to see is this 1M had any of them. also we have to assume that BMW went over this video before it was released to make sure nothing that they didnt want to be known (yet) was said.

There was only three cars and over fifty journalists on this drive.
I think he was the only one who had hindsight to record his findings. But as you can see BMW brought their own minder to make sure he stayed on topic.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #85
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
You know autox is like 90% driver? There was a guy in a stock hyundai elantra that was faster than 80% of the bmw's at an autox event I attended. Does that mean the elantra is faster than the M3?
I will be driving. As I said, I bet I can beat him in his M3 at a road course with $2000 worth of mods to my 135i, not including the tires.

The m3 is not some unbeatable track king.....

I still think it's an awesome car, and a great DD, but this whole condescending, "oh, it's not M, it's not naturally aspirated, it's not track worthy, lets stick our noses up" shit is annoying.

Not to mention the M3 is heavy, and how many e90 M3 drivers actually push their cars to the limit at the track?

Last edited by SlicktopTTZ; 11-03-2010 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #86
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Ahh, the influx of ///M3 drivers already here to defend their purchase.
      11-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #87
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
I will be driving. As I said, I bet I can beat him in his M3 at a road course with $2000 worth of mods to my 135i, not including the tires.

The m3 is not some unbeatable track king.....

I still think it's an awesome car, and a great DD, but this whole condescending, "oh, it's not M, it's not naturally aspirated, it's not track worthy, lets stick our noses up" shit is annoying.
I agree, but lets face it. There are fanboys on both sides. Arguing is useless on both sides until the 1M is released and we see real data from both cars at the same track, day, and by the same driver. And comparing a modded car to stock is pretty useless as well, IMO.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #88
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Agree. They look cheap.
Agree as well. They are not classy looking at all.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0