BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-06-2011, 03:38 AM   #1
Purpletail
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

1M transport

Hey gang, I am new to the forum, pretty excited about getting my 1M from the dealership. It is located up north and I am concerned about the tires with winter roads, no snow expected in the next three days, but it will be cold, distance is a 1000 miles to my house. What do you think, ship it or drive it home and if I ship it does anyone know a good transport company? Thanks, I cant believe I am finally getting my 1 M.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 04:11 AM   #2
MB38
[insert witty title here]
Rep
Drives: '97 Supra TT, '11 1M

I shipped mine from Maine to LA using http://www.intercitylines.com/

From my CA without prompt:

Quote:
By the way, the carrier you found seems fantastic (and it's not often I say that about trucking companies). Courteous, professional-top notch equipment. Your driver Bob has handled some very impressive vehicles, including multiple cars from Jay Leno's collection (last time he dropped a car to Leno's Garage he and his wife were invited in for a spaghetti and meatballs dinner with and cooked by Jay himself!)
So your vehicle is in good hands!
I'm still out of town and haven't seen my car yet, but my friend who took delivery said that I had nothing to worry about.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Innercity FTW. It's who Wayne Carini uses.

I'm pretty sure Ron Swanson would use them too, and he's an American Badass!!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Juiced1M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Id ship IMO
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

" up north" is a relative term.... and without your actual location.... means NOTHING to us.

Personally.. if the forecast is clear.... why not drive? Live a little! Then again... I was born " up North"...... in Indiana.

As far as the 1000 miles.... that part is your call... many of us had 1000 mile drives home from the delivery dealer... so quite common there.. But the drive home with your car is a great way to get acquainted... Especially if the car is not going to be a daily driver when you get it home.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Provided no snow or ice, I'd have no problem driving on PS2 tires from "up north" 1,000 miles to wherever.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
speedM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2106 X3 35i, 1M, 05 MCS

One thing I wonder about (and I know tons of you have done it) is being able to vary up the speed enough during the highway drive home to properly break in the car. I personally would rather break it in back home (unless your drive consisted of lots of mountain roads )
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
Purpletail
Rep

Via up north, I mean Chicago. I will take the car southbound through Indiana, then to the mountains of Kentucky and North Carolina and end up in South Carolina. The first part will not be so great, the last part will be fun, bourbon trail in Kentucky is a must. As long as the weather holds. I was mostly concerned with the cold temperatures in Indiana with the tires. I do not want to spin her on the way home because that would make me a dumb ass, lets hope not. . Thanks for the transport suggestions, I will look into them. Glad to be joining in on the forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
AndyzDad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB38 View Post
I shipped mine from Maine to LA using http://www.intercitylines.com/

From my CA without prompt:

I'm still out of town and haven't seen my car yet, but my friend who took delivery said that I had nothing to worry about.
+1 for intercity lines.. I have had my coupe transported by them from LA to Detroit last December and they were great with service and taking care of my car. Highly recommend them!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ‘22 Model 3

Also heard great things about intercity lines.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #11
Juiced1M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
OP youll have the car broken in by the time your home if you drive it
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpletail View Post
Via up north, I mean Chicago. I will take the car southbound through Indiana, then to the mountains of Kentucky and North Carolina and end up in South Carolina. The first part will not be so great, the last part will be fun, bourbon trail in Kentucky is a must. As long as the weather holds. I was mostly concerned with the cold temperatures in Indiana with the tires. I do not want to spin her on the way home because that would make me a dumb ass, lets hope not. . Thanks for the transport suggestions, I will look into them. Glad to be joining in on the forum.
There is nothing like a long drive to get to know your new "beast" ..... once you et past Indiana you will have a blast ...... drive it and you will be past break in when you get home and will have experienced so great roads!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #13
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpletail View Post
Don't worry about the temp. Don't miss the chance to enjoy your car on what sounds like a fantastic drive. I live in Buffalo NY and have both taken my snows off too soon and put them on too late. The temps you are talking about are nothing. I usually have at least one month on either end of the cold weather season where I am driving on Summer tires.Even a light dusting of snow would not be a problem.

You are not going to be driving in an aggressive manner in a car that you are breaking in. Go get the car and enjoy your private time with your new car.

Holly
Appreciate 0