BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #23
inluvwithastripper
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I also traded from a 135i to a 1M shortly after purchasing the former. Don't tell my wife, but it's the best decision I ever made.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #24
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

BUY!! Don't ask anymore just go to dealer and BUY!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #25
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

I'd go for it, if you have the means and a lead on one without a premium. You'll love it and if you don't, an easy car to sell. like the others have said, if you have more leads after you decide do share!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #26
M_Anthony
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebby View Post
The internet says... DO IT!!!

Complete with Rdefined icons. Some things never change, Neb.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #27
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Anthony
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Not sure what to make of this thread...if it's supposed to be sarcastic or funny, but as mentioned above, it seems to me that you're not very performance-oriented considering you're complaining about the lack of sunroof and the color of the exhaust tips.
Sorry, I should give some background here.

I do SCCA & HPDEs, I've had a Spec Miata, a Boxster S, and a 400+ HP turbo VW R32 as previous cars, that have all seen track time. You may notice that they were all either verts or had sunroofs. I know all about the weight differences, center of gravity, etc., but I love the sunshine & open air. I use my sunroof for most of the year, and I'm honestly worried I'd have a really hard time without it.

The exhaust tips are nice in black, but all of the previous cars had them chromed, so not a huge deal, I'm just very detail-oriented. Put it this way: it also drives me crazy that my speedo on the 1er only goes to 280/160 instead of 300/180.

Quote:
Not only that, but apparently it's a car which you don't like the way it looks, and the main things we love about it you seem to hate - I'd say do the next owner a favor and pass on the car, because I'm sure there are thousands who would love every single bit of the car like most of us do - that is, if you truly have a chance at owning one; production stopped in October for the US and there are very few left that are new, with a premium slapped on them.
There are several out east here that haven't sold yet, without a premium...but they're all white. The premiums are out west. There's a black one in San Fran right now, brand new...for $75k.

Quote:
PS: Nothing against the 135i with the N55 engine. That is exactly what I got rid of to obtain this all-around superior (in my opinion) car.
Is yours a daily driver, or a weekender? Mine would be the former.
Mine is the former as well...I could not live with myself if I parked this driving machine! I too come from a large array of cars, some of which have had sunroofs, and 2 of which have been convertibles (s2000's). I love the sunshine but it's hard to miss the sunroof with this car...nothing that a trip with the windows down can't fix

Best of luck in your decision!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #28
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of690 View Post
If you have the funds and can find a 1m to buy, I say go for it , you love it already or you would not have test drove 1,plus it's an investment .
A depreciating investment.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #29
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of690 View Post
If you have the funds and can find a 1m to buy, I say go for it , you love it already or you would not have test drove 1,plus it's an investment .
A depreciating investment.
No offense to you, but are you always this much of a troll, or only when it comes to things that you don't/can't own?!

This car is bound to hold its value leaps and bounds beyond your 135i. Not sure if you noticed, but many are selling at a premium, and I've seen used ones go for msrp
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #30
M_Anthony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No offense to you, but are you always this much of a troll, or only when it comes to things that you don't/can't own?!

This car is bound to hold its value leaps and bounds beyond your 135i. Not sure if you noticed, but many are selling at a premium, and I've seen used ones go for msrp
In fairness, he's likely correct, 99% of cars out there depreciate quite a bit, even limited edition ones go down in value. The 1M will hold its value for a while, but 10 years from now, I doubt you'd see it still selling for $60k+ when every model has wear & tear.

I don't buy cars as investments, I buy them to enjoy driving them.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #31
M_Anthony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inluvwithastripper View Post
I also traded from a 135i to a 1M shortly after purchasing the former. Don't tell my wife, but it's the best decision I ever made.

Thanks to all for the replies, I'm doing my damnedest to get my hands on one now.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #32
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

Buy the 1M. I had the chance twice and passed it up, for many reason all my own issues and reasons, but the 1M is a beauty IMO. Here is a short list why i did not.
1) After hearing the M3 engine at 5-8000 rpms i knew there are other nicer sounding cars out there and MORE to come. Including the Boss 302..These V8's sing a different tune than the a 6cyl turbo. And looks are subjective but i find the M3 a nice looking car and still sexy..even though it's not as fast down low as the 1M or as bulbous, and it's comfy and i can still get a sunroof LOL I love my sunroof. The new coming M3 with a turbo will be even faster than the 1M, so indeed there will be cars coming in the future that will be hot as well.
2) After test driving many many cars including Porsche Carrera, boxster,M3(3 0f them), Boss 302, Rousch 429, STI, EVO, Audi S4,Camaro SS, etc etc i came away at each test drive overwhelmed at how well my JB4 135i matches up to all these cars and in most cases as refined, and in most cases as fast, especially down low...not exactly, but fast enough...but for street driven only the 135i shines..The track is another story which i will never find out so for normal spirited local driving my 1 is totally fine. Used, showroom condition 09 135i with 19,000 miles only fetches 25 grand on a trade or sale..For that value what can you buy a Prius or Honda Civic...I personnally find it bizarre that my 1 is only worth the value of a Civic now...I will keep my 135i in the family and pass it to my wife before i give it up for that price. And when that happens and my kids college is over i will buy another car....but i can not give up my 135i..i tried and it keeps looking at me in its pristine condition and saying" keep me" !!
3) Lastly.....(i may get flamed for this) but as my first auto/manual car in 30 years..I like the option of being able to put the car in auto in NJ traffic or when i just want to drive without shifting( being dis-connected for short periods) I found i really really like the option. And my wife wants a auto so. my 1 is a keeper..I just refinanced it!

So buy the 1M dude, if you can afford it. It is a stunning car!!! This is just my take on it.
      01-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #33
BFD99
The Stig!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
You guys are killing me posting all these 1Ms for sale! Guess I need to go see what BMW will give me for my 135! LOL
      01-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #34
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Try to find one and get it you won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #35
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Anthony
Quote:

In fairness, he's likely correct, 99% of cars out there depreciate quite a bit, even limited edition ones go down in value. The 1M will hold its value for a while, but 10 years from now, I doubt you'd see it still selling for $60k+ when every model has wear & tear.

I don't buy cars as investments, I buy them to enjoy driving them.
I mostly agree and this is obvious with most things anyone buys - they will most likely depreciate; however, if you get to drive a great car over 10 years and get 50%+ of its value back if you were to sell it, that would be a rather impressive number. Tell you what, go look at the current value of the z8's, M1's, even the latest generation supra's and rx7's, and it'll be clear what most of us are referring to.

Oh and +1 on never buying a car thinking it will be an investment...I always buy because it is something I will enjoy
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #36
dcho
Captain
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

buy it, try it, then flip it.
      01-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #37
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcho View Post
or keep it
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #38
M_Anthony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcho View Post
Eh, I'm not into car speculation. I find it particularly offensive when dealers mark up a car $20k+ over MSRP. That kind of rampant speculation ensures only the rich & stupid get their hands on a car that an enthusiast would love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquedemon View Post
or keep it

+1
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #39
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Anthony View Post
Eh, I'm not into car speculation. I find it particularly offensive when dealers mark up a car $20k+ over MSRP. That kind of rampant speculation ensures only the rich & stupid get their hands on a car that an enthusiast would love.

+1

I see that it is not just a "crush", don't wait too long then and when you hopefully have your car share some pictures.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #40
M_Anthony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxM3 View Post
For anyone reading the thread, this car is SOLD. Unfortunately, not to me. Customer hasn't taken delivery yet, so it still appears in inventory.

I also checked with Braman in Miami, their 1M was sold YESTERDAY. D'oh!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #41
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

See, sometimes it's best to just jump in with both feet instead of waiting for everyone's $0.02 (including mine!)

Good luck if you're still looking.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #42
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

+1. Welcome to the 1M club experience including the suffering. None of us was able to buy and/or took delivery of this car "easy". That's now a part of our special relationship with the 1M. I hope you will be lucky and get your car. That will make you love it even more, that's the bright side
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #43
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Anthony View Post
For anyone reading the thread, this car is SOLD. Unfortunately, not to me. Customer hasn't taken delivery yet, so it still appears in inventory.

I also checked with Braman in Miami, their 1M was sold YESTERDAY. D'oh!
Don't worry. Your not the only one who has come here bragging about finding a 1M only to learn that the autotrader/cars.com listing are bogus! Probably a dozen or so of these posts. If you really wont one they are out there. Good luck, it is a great car. Honestly though, your dislikes gave me a good laugh. No sunroof! Exhaust color! Sounds like my wife! And I love, repeat LOVE the alcantara and orange contrast stitching.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #44
M_Anthony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Don't worry. Your not the only one who has come here bragging about finding a 1M only to learn that the autotrader/cars.com listing are bogus! Probably a dozen or so of these posts. If you really wont one they are out there. Good luck, it is a great car. Honestly though, your dislikes gave me a good laugh. No sunroof! Exhaust color! Sounds like my wife! And I love, repeat LOVE the alcantara and orange contrast stitching.
Oh, I was pointed to some cars by my dealership, who is working with me to get one. Other people posted links to cars.com in the thread, so I figured I would let people know, since my dealership called NY.

As for alcantara...I still don't care for it, it gets filthy fast. I have 3 dogs, it's a bad thing.
Appreciate 0