BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #1
Furqwan
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Single or twins?

Im sure there are many threads out there about this topic but im looking for some more answers to my question.
I own a 135i car is beginning to have some smoke when deceleration to a stop. I changed my valve cover gasket but still smokes when coming to a stop. Also having some wastegate rattle now as well. Im coming to the reality it is time for new turbos as my car has almost 200k km.

Before making my decision i want to know what other people’s opinion on the topic and knowledge about the topic. Im looking for something that i could still daily drive, iknow people say ST Can be daily driven but just how well is a 500-600whp ST In bumper to bumper traffic and for long cruises? My power goals with my car are anything healthy and reliable. Currently running at eurocharged tune with catless downpipes and love the feeling of the twins. So im not looking to make big power, maybe in the 400-500 range safely. So my questions;

1: how reliable are singles verse twins on a high km engine?

2:When i do get either installed, what are recommended things to change while doing the conversion or other upgrades to factor in? Such as better clutch? Bigger breaks? (I have the m package breaks) etc.

3: what will be my relative cost for either? Lets say cost for a motiv 700 turbo (i really dont plan on pushing it so it would be in the 500hp range) plus the labour and maybe other upgrades as i hear people with this kit usually switch their suspension out. VS Pure stage 2 twin turbos with labour and other upgrades?

4: Is it even worth it? I love this car and want to continue driving it but i dont want to do this if everything keeps failing and or my engine fails.

5: what is it like to own and maintain long term?

Any knowledge or advice would be great thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

These are great questions but I feel a conservative turbo upgrade suits you best. No reason to spend the money on a Motiv 700 Single Turbo kit to only run 500 HP.

You can get a Mild Stage 1 Pure Upgrade and have great response and power while maintaining that power goal.

If you are still on stock clutch you will need to upgrade. The stock brakes are pretty poor to begin with so if you haven't already upgrade I'd recommend it too.

Really most modifications come from finding inherent flaws. So suspension and other modifications will really come down to your preference.

These are great cars and the 135i is a real fun car to drive and own. If you like it, continue to maintain it and upgrade accordingly, that's the best advice I can give.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2018, 06:33 PM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Lots of other options for proven and reliable single turbo kits other than Motiv.
      02-15-2018, 10:11 PM   #4
Furqwan
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
These are great questions but I feel a conservative turbo upgrade suits you best. No reason to spend the money on a Motiv 700 Single Turbo kit to only run 500 HP.

You can get a Mild Stage 1 Pure Upgrade and have great response and power while maintaining that power goal.

If you are still on stock clutch you will need to upgrade. The stock brakes are pretty poor to begin with so if you haven't already upgrade I'd recommend it too.

Really most modifications come from finding inherent flaws. So suspension and other modifications will really come down to your preference.

These are great cars and the 135i is a real fun car to drive and own. If you like it, continue to maintain it and upgrade accordingly, that's the best advice I can give.
Thanks for feedback! How well do the stage 1 turbos hold up long term and what is the max power you can get out of stage 1 without running e85 or meth as i have no access to either verses a stage 2?

I have also heard singles are better for long term as they dont stress the engine out as much as twins & for someone that plans on keeping the car for along time and it already has 200k km im worried for the health of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 05:08 PM   #5
PawlyGuNNz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM 6spd MT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furqwan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post

Thanks for feedback! How well do the stage 1 turbos hold up long term and what is the max power you can get out of stage 1 without running e85 or meth as i have no access to either verses a stage 2?

I have also heard singles are better for long term as they dont stress the engine out as much as twins & for someone that plans on keeping the car for along time and it already has 200k km im worried for the health of the engine.
I have pure stage 2 hi flo... it all depends on your goals... and how well you maintain your car etc... the mileage should not be a concern at all as long as you are proactively maintaining it. In general single top mount easier to work on and remove install right there vs twins which are very labor intensive. Single builds torque slower which is less stress in motor... but twins feel so good... my recommendation is doc race single kit or pure stage 2.