BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
1msd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Power Steering Issues

Anyone on here had problems with power steering going solid? After some hard driving mine seized up a couple of weeks ago and has been in the dealership since. The steering was easy to turn if revving higher to take off. Seems to be a problem with swarf inside the pump. Anyway its now being repaired under warranty....power steering pump, power steering rack and all hoses/piping being replaced. Some parts have been on back order so is taking some time to get it sorted! A heads up for you guys in case it happens to you in the future!
      06-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1msd View Post
Anyone on here had problems with power steering going solid? After some hard driving mine seized up a couple of weeks ago and has been in the dealership since. The steering was easy to turn if revving higher to take off. Seems to be a problem with swarf inside the pump. Anyway its now being repaired under warranty....power steering pump, power steering rack and all hoses/piping being replaced. Some parts have been on back order so is taking some time to get it sorted! A heads up for you guys in case it happens to you in the future!
Sorry to hear about that how many miles and owners had your car had when you bought it ? Did you take it to the dealer in Discovery to get fixed or back to where you got it from ?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

When the PS goes hard it is either a pumping issue... a loose belt or bad pump. Or... it can be inside the PS rack(the reed valves which assist the power steering effect) on the rack. I do not know why any tech worth his salt would replace a PS hose unless it is leaking.

Have you had any other repair work done on the PS system prior to the PS failing? Maybe an accident or wrong fluid put in the PS system?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
1msd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
When the PS goes hard it is either a pumping issue... a loose belt or bad pump. Or... it can be inside the PS rack(the reed valves which assist the power steering effect) on the rack. I do not know why any tech worth his salt would replace a PS hose unless it is leaking.

Have you had any other repair work done on the PS system prior to the PS failing? Maybe an accident or wrong fluid put in the PS system?
No other work has been done on it that I know of, car has now done around 8k miles. They have mentioned replacing hoses etc as there is swarf in the system.
      06-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
1msd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denso View Post
Sorry to hear about that how many miles and owners had your car had when you bought it ? Did you take it to the dealer in Discovery to get fixed or back to where you got it from ?
Yeah just got it taken there through emergency service instead of going all the way back down the road with it. Hopefully will be sitting ready and waiting on my return!
      06-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
No other work has been done on it that I know of, car has now done around 8k miles. They have mentioned replacing hoses etc as there is swarf in the system.
Btw... I had to Google that word: Swarf. Never heard of it.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/swarf

So you have metal shavings in your PS system. So where did those metal shavings come from???

I hope they also replace the PS reservoir, because in the bottom of the res is a built in filter. You simply replace the res, the built in filter is lifetime unit. This is why when you change your PS fluid at high miles, its best to also replace the PS res.

I guess they are replacing EVERYTHING in the PS system for you under warranty. Maybe make sure they use the correct fluid too.

CHF-11S I believe is called for. Either that or ATF dextron. You have to look on the res cap to see which fluid is called for.

Keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
1msd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

So you have metal shavings in your PS system. So where did those metal shavings come from???

I hope they also replace the PS reservoir, because in the bottom of the res is a built in filter. You simply replace the res, the built in filter is lifetime unit. This is why when you change your PS fluid at high miles, its best to also replace the PS res.

I guess they are replacing EVERYTHING in the PS system for you under warranty. Maybe make sure they use the correct fluid too.

CHF-11S I believe is called for. Either that or ATF dextron. You have to look on the res cap to see which fluid is called for.

Keep us updated.
Possibly bearings inside the pump?? thats all I could think of...but yeah the whole system is being replaced under warranty...I shall keep you posted of developments!
      06-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah just got it taken there through emergency service instead of going all the way back down the road with it. Hopefully will be sitting ready and waiting on my return!
I had the famous thunk noise from the steering for the first 4000 miles from new and the steering rack etc was replaced by BMW. I wish you luck with the repairs
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
Dirk
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

In the same boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denso
Quote:
I had the famous thunk noise from the steering for the first 4000 miles from new and the steering rack etc was replaced by BMW. I wish you luck with the repairs
I had the exact same problem on mine.. Have had the ps pump changed twice! The first time It was after some hard driving and the steering went really tight. Luckily i was not too far from home but it made for an interesting drive home... Also had to get the rpm up high just to turn the wheel. My car was collected by bmw on call the next day and it took about 2 weeks for a replacement pump to be sent from Germany. The second time was real bad and also happened after some hard driving but this time the seals on the pump shaft blew out and drained all my steering fluid within seconds! Lets say there was allot of smoke! It took almost 4 weeks for a new pump to arrive but could not be 'coded' to the vehicle according to the dealer.. It then took another 2 weeks for another one to arrive. It was soul destroying!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I thought I would give you a shout out, I just got back on Friday and saw you heading in the opposite direction at claypotts junction. I was on my way for petrol at scott fyfe or else I woukd have stopped for a chat.

I take it that the steering issue is fixed now ?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 03:01 AM   #11
1msd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I thought I would give you a shout out, I just got back on Friday and saw you heading in the opposite direction at claypotts junction. I was on my way for petrol at scott fyfe or else I woukd have stopped for a chat.

I take it that the steering issue is fixed now ?
Was a bit of a quick passing, cars looking clean. Collected my car at the start of the week after around 6 weeks of waiting. Issue is now resolved and everything seems to be working again as normal hopefully it stays that way for a while now!
      06-30-2013, 04:20 AM   #12
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

OK, logged now as issue #11 in the 1M issues log sticky: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1

Quote:
Neither did I. But I had already heard of the similar sounding verb "swaffle". Something about another sort of steering pump, though. And, as far as I know, the verb was invented in Flanders a few years ago ("swaffelen") (got imported into English slang). No way that a "Harlem Swaffle" will ever go viral. Look it up, Dackel.
To the capatatio verborum oriented minds out there, we salute you.

Last edited by Artemis; 06-30-2013 at 04:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 04:58 AM   #13
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Was a bit of a quick passing, cars looking clean. Collected my car at the start of the week after around 6 weeks of waiting. Issue is now resolved and everything seems to be working again as normal hopefully it stays that way for a while now!
Glad that it is fixed now Its too good a car to be sitting at a garage with problems, lets hope that It runs like a dream now and you have no further issues. I am off to Venice tomorrow but will be back next week, maybe if we get the chance we can meet up after that as I would like to see the angel eyes in real life.

Cheers Denso
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #14
1msd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Glad that it is fixed now Its too good a car to be sitting at a garage with problems, lets hope that It runs like a dream now and you have no further issues. I am off to Venice tomorrow but will be back next week, maybe if we get the chance we can meet up after that as I would like to see the angel eyes in real life.

Cheers Denso
Lucky for some jetting off to some great weather! Give me a PM when your back, I'm sure we can sort something.
      08-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #15
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

i'm not sure if i had these or not... but after pushing some gears to the limit with (the BMW driving leather driving gloves)..
and then i drive home normally without the gloves the steering just feel a bit heavier.. or this is just because i was used to with the glove...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
ZA_1M
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Ok, so my Power Steering also recently gave in on 15 000KM
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Can't wait for electric power steering.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #18
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

okay so are there any act that lead to PS failure..
e.g. hard turning?
.. yea you know what i mean.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 03:05 AM   #19
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Dont know if this is related, but on my 2011 M sport 135i coupe, I experienced steering pump whining noise after my second 20-minutes lapping session yesterday evening. All seemed normal after driving back home, perhaps after cool down. I didn't notice if my steering wheel was harder to turn though - dont think it was.

I have had the car for about 10 weeks, did 6 lapping session over the course of the last 6 weeks. I never experienced this in the first five session, but was perhaps not driving as hard.

I quickly verified for leaks, but did not find any. I will still check the fluid level this morning.
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
Dont know if this is related, but on my 2011 M sport 135i coupe, I experienced steering pump whining noise after my second 20-minutes lapping session yesterday evening. All seemed normal after driving back home, perhaps after cool down. I didn't notice if my steering wheel was harder to turn though - dont think it was.

I have had the car for about 10 weeks, did 6 lapping session over the course of the last 6 weeks. I never experienced this in the first five session, but was perhaps not driving as hard.

I quickly verified for leaks, but did not find any. I will still check the fluid level this morning.

You probably boiled your PS fluid. Have you check the PS res cap? I bet your fluid spilled out some. Some guys when they track their cars put an old sock over the PS res to catch the PS fluid from spraying out all over the engine.

You might want to replace your PS fluid. Just suck out the old fluid with a pump and top up with the appropriate PS fluid. It will say right on the PS res cap what kind of fluid your car takes. Normally its CHF 11S. After you top up your PS fluid run the steering full lock to lock a few times to bleed out any air bubbles inside the rack.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #21
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
You probably boiled your PS fluid. Have you check the PS res cap? I bet your fluid spilled out some. Some guys when they track their cars put an old sock over the PS res to catch the PS fluid from spraying out all over the engine.

You might want to replace your PS fluid. Just suck out the old fluid with a pump and top up with the appropriate PS fluid. It will say right on the PS res cap what kind of fluid your car takes. Normally its CHF 11S. After you top up your PS fluid run the steering full lock to lock a few times to bleed out any air bubbles inside the rack.
Ive heard of the "old sock" trick before , but will not need it for now.

I had no fluid leaks, and power steering reservoir was dry and clean after the event. I had no idea boiling the power steering fluid was possible, but your comment makes sesne, as the noise was gone after driving back home at highway speeds in a straight line for 10 minutes.

Container says CHF 11S. I will try to find some locally and replace.

Thanks for the tips!!!
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #22
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post

I had no fluid leaks, and power steering reservoir was dry and clean after the event. I had no idea boiling the power steering fluid was possible, but your comment makes sense, as the noise was gone after driving back home at highway speeds in a straight line for 10 minutes.
1Addicts member Mr Kleen told me that when ever he runs Nurburgring he puts and old sock on his PS res, other wise it pukes all over his engine. And well... Mr. Kleen is a bit of a neat freak. I would be doing the same thing, though.
Appreciate 0