BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #45
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Hey eeghie...there will no shortage of these cars according to Lamley Group. In fact there will be a 2014 model. I am hoping that the bean counters at Mattel will see our poll and the interest in this car and release more variants.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #46
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Wheel Collectors are screwing us over. I now refuse to buy from them. Anything. Ever Again.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-1M-Or...afda338&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-1M-Or...af82541&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-1M-Or...42c3b02&_uhb=1
      10-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #47
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

That is ridiculous. I really wanted one, but $31? Geez.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #48
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
Hey eeghie...there will no shortage of these cars according to Lamley Group. In fact there will be a 2014 model. I am hoping that the bean counters at Mattel will see our poll and the interest in this car and release more variants.
Not too worried about that, my guestimate is that this will be the first unlimited 1M production run ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Too bad about the color. It would look so much better in Alpine White ;-)

Neil
I'm with Neil on the color, preferably with the ultimate M performance striping.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #49
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
and of course a big for the poll, being an enabler for our 1M addictions and keeping the 1M production going for 1 more year!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #50
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin
well you can't really blame them can you? for them it's just a business.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #51
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
It's called Business Ethics.

Quote:
Business ethics are implemented in order to ensure that a certain required level of trust exists between consumers and various forms of market participants with businesses.
They started off selling them at RRP. Then when they realised there was a demand they started listing them one at a time and letting us fight amongst ourselves to push their profits up.

By your reasoning it would have been OK for BMW America to bring in 1Ms one at a time and let people bid for it. Then bring in another one and repeat. You don't know how many there will be so you can't afford to just sit back and wait for the next one...

This is fine from a business perspective in the short term. Lots of profit. Doesn't do a lot to encourage consumer trust or loyalty though, does it?

Artificially restricting supply in order to increase demand and jack up prices is NOT OK and it's not good business practice.

At the end of the day this is just a $3 toy car. Possessing one will not in any way alter my life for the better. It's not worth getting upset about.

Companies behaving in a manner such as this though, that really pisses me off.

The real nail in the coffin? Out of over 2900 items that they are listing for sale, the ONLY items that are "auction" instead of "Buy it Now" are the 3 1Ms they are listing. Tell me that's not blatant profiteering?

Last edited by Harlequin; 10-15-2013 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #52
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post

Quote:
Business ethics are implemented in order to ensure that a certain required level of trust exists between consumers and various forms of market participants with businesses.
They started off selling them at RRP. Then when they realised there was a demand they started listing them one at a time and letting us fight amongst ourselves to push their profits up.

By your reasoning it would have been OK for BMW America to bring in 1Ms one at a time and let people bid for it. Then bring in another one and repeat. You don't know how many there will be so you can't afford to just sit back and wait for the next one...

This is fine from a business perspective in the short term. Lots of profit.

Doesn't do a lot to encourage consumer trust or loyalty though, does it?

Artificially restricting supply in order to increase demand and jack up prices is NOT OK and it's not good business practice.
Harlequin: if you controlled the free market, it would be fairer. Unfortunately the supply/demand equation doesn't usually care about the ethics or whether 'the right thing' is being done.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #53
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
That's where you're wrong. The consumer can exert control by choosing not to deal with unethical companies.
      10-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #54
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
That's where you're wrong. The consumer can exert control by choosing not to deal with unethical companies.
sure. as long as they can accept they will not receive that product OR alternatively find a different means of acquiring it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #55
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Yeah.. Well, as I said in my previous posts I'm:

a) Not going to give that company any of my money.
b) Not going to feel like my life is somehow incomplete if I don't get one.

So I guess I'm practicing what I preach...
      10-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #56
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Just wait another week and they will be in every walmart, kmart, toys r us, meijer, hobby shop in the country. No need to pay more than a couple of bucks for one.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #57
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post

Actually, this is how a free market allocates resources. When an item is popular, the seller can demand a premium. The rest of the market sees that, and gets into the act until supply equals demand.

The seller is only doing what's natural by putting it up for auction, so the market sets the price. Put yourself in their position - if you have a rare stamp with a face value of 3 cents, do you sell it for 3 cents (the actual face value - MSRP), or do you put it up for auction, and let the market decide the price?

I grant you that it sucks to be on the "receiving" end of the equation, but it's what keeps the free market ticking. As noted, you're free to walk away from the deal, and that tells sellers that the demand is getting soft at that price.

Having said that, there's something to be said for a company that takes the hit in the short run, and sells an item for less than it's worth, to command some brand loyalty. But I'm guessing this company realizes you probably won't be a repeat customer, so it's not worth it to them to take that hit.

Bottom line: IMHO, you're right - it's just a toy car, and not worth it.
      10-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #58
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

There is a guy on that MBX forum who customizes cars. I bet it is very easy to do an AW or other color. I plan to buy a bunch of them to play with and customize. I'm going to Target today to buy household items and I will see if I can find any.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #59
lamleygroup
Rep
Drives: tiny 1M

Hey friends,

I have enjoyed reading your posts, and I am glad you are going to the Lamley Group to read up. We are putting up a post on it tomorrow.

A couple of things in response to what I am reading here:

- This orange version is only the first of what I believe will be many versions. Look for at least one version a year for the next few years. Could be in the basic range, maybe in a 5-pack, but Mattel intends to use this casting a lot. I would not be surprised to see a version in Alpine White in the next couple of years.

- The batch that contains the 1M has not been reported found in stores yet. Only hobby dealers have them so far. But that could change any minute. Every Walmart, Target, etc will have them very soon. You don't have to buy them online if you can wait.

- Lastly, the comments by a few of you on Wheel Collectors is not entirely fair. If they charged what the big box stores charged they would instantly be out of business. The three you see listed on eBay right now started at a normal price, and people bid what they bid. If they want to spend $50 to get one a few days earlier than everyone else, so be it. Wheel Collectors has the right to charge what they want, especially to keep them in business. That E30 that Paul showed is a great example. Big box stores didn't want the line, so the only way to get it was through dealers. I am very happy they are around.

Hate them all you want, but you can't fault them for wanting to make money. I assume that is why they are in business. Don't buy from them if you don't want to. Wait a few days and you can get them in the store...

And if you think that is bad, you should see what I paid for the yellow prepro 1M Paul pictured... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #60
Klepper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamleygroup View Post
....The three you see listed on eBay right now started at a normal price, and people bid what they bid. If they want to spend $50 to get one a few days earlier than everyone else, so be it.....
The above is so true! Wheel collectors is not setting the price, the people who are bidding are setting the price. That's kind of the point of an auction - the person who wants it the most and pays the most can get it!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #61
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
got mine today. it's very cool! finally i own a 1M
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #62
LukeM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

$90 for a matchbox car. Wow!
Makes $50 seem like a bargain
I got my Minichamps model for less than that and there's no comparison in the detail
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #63
lamleygroup
Rep
Drives: tiny 1M

One of your own did the write-up on today's post on the Matchbox 1M:

http://lamleydlm.blogspot.com/2013/1...described.html

Enjoy...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #64
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM3 View Post
$90 for a matchbox car. Wow!
Makes $50 seem like a bargain
I got my Minichamps model for less than that and there's no comparison in the detail
$90!? where did it sell for that much?

i actually need a Minichamps model...i've seen them around, but nothing less than $100. 43 scale SHOULD be like $50-60 normally.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #65
LukeM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

2 sold today on eBay. One for $90 and the other for $69, plus shipping on each
Regarding the Minichamps model (1:43), I picked it up from an eBay seller that had a couple for sale at $75 each. I should have bought both. There is a seller currently in Japan with one but he's asking $130
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #66
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
wrong wheels. is there any update for a 1:18?
Appreciate 0