BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #23
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

I believe the same thing happens to me also, they didn't even mark the mileage when they receive the vehicle so after the joyride, there is nothing to compare the mileage except what you wrote down and its your word against them. I have a sense its gonna happen so I wrote the mileage down, and 13 miles added when I received it. They totally denied everything. They said that the only thing they did wrong was not putting the mileage in when they received the 1M from me. I have my doubts, but I'll let it slide and see if there is anymore problems next time. There is fender liner problem and I even let them know about the the puma case number on this forum but they gave me an excuse after excuse and denied service until I order it and physically show them the difference between the two liners.

Don't know whats wrong with this dealers, its not about us being picky, or unreasonable, its about doing the right thing. Even my mirror has that hairline crack on it and I'm afraid of them touching it. In fact, I'm still haven't bring the car in for the battery cable recall, still haven't receive any letter from they yet and car is running great.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #24
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

it seems like if you are going to attempt to make a case with the dealer you should have more evidence than a guesstimate of mileage. I would recommend that in the future you take a before photo of the odometer as you leave it so that you know how far the vehicle was driven for sure. A simple iphone photo with GPS and time stamp of THEIR location would be all that's needed to provide conclusive evidence.

Of course there is always the option to take the car elsewhere.

I agree with others.. Other than a sincere apology and a possible minor discount, if there's no actual damage to the car, I can't see the dealer doing much more to rectify the situation. My dealer gives me a loaner car... and I certainly put more than 20 miles on it while mine is in their shop... It took my dealer 2.5 days to do the battery cable swap... I ended up taking the loaner car on an impromptu day trip that was about 150 miles one direction..so it came back with about 400 extra miles on it..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 11-13-2013 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #25
CyRaX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M....soon

The miles would be the "least" of my worries.
What would bother me more is the way the car was (probably) handeled during those 20 miles.

And yes, it's only 20 miles, but my guess is that almost everybody who has the chance to drive a 1M for a short while won't really care for the car....
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 06:36 AM   #26
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep

its not the miles driven, its what they did in the car during that 20 miles, i understand the OP concern, my car came back to me from the shop with low tire pressure warning lights on.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #27
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM View Post
its not the miles driven, its what they did in the car during that 20 miles, i understand the OP concern, my car came back to me from the shop with low tire pressure warning lights on.
Car is still under warranty right? For how many more thousand miles? Some of you need REAL things to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #28
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

If your car has GPS you can find out where it was driven and how fast
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #29
Stu1M
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
If your car has GPS you can find out where it was driven and how fast
How?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #30
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Car is still under warranty right? For how many more thousand miles? Some of you need REAL things to worry about.
My thoughts too.

To put things in perspective, walk though the cancer ward at the children's hospital.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #31
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
This is a car forum full of self-proclaimed BMW addicts. This is the exact kind of discussion one would expect here.

While you're at it, go to the car detailing forums and ask them why they obsess over the scratches and dings they get.
      11-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #32
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep

Quote:
this respond to the OP's original concern/thread, this is a car forum not world peace or cancer forum, there is a time and place for that. I understand where you coming from, I only posted this because of this thread, my incident happens about 2 years ago and this is first time I'm posting about this.

We are only letting 1M owners know what could happen and be prepare for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #33
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
I'm a tech at a dealership around the DC area so this is my take: We have a guy who was a retired technician. His job now is to "QC" cars; that is, drive them for quality control. He was out sick two weeks ago, so because work was slow, I had filled in for him. It is very common to drive vehicles for 15-20 miles for this quality control purpose. In our area, its mostly highway. So I drove about 10 miles out and then the 10 miles back to the dealership. I can assure you this is common practice, and not once have I heard about "joy rides". I can only speak for my dealership personally though.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #34
toni8284
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
I just got my car done with oil change. They did the battery recall, also I noticed something call intake silencer, anyone know what that is?
2014 F10 M5 LCI (SOLD)
2011 VO 1M (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #35
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM View Post
this respond to the OP's original concern/thread, this is a car forum not world peace or cancer forum, there is a time and place for that. I understand where you coming from, I only posted this because of this thread, my incident happens about 2 years ago and this is first time I'm posting about this.

We are only letting 1M owners know what could happen and be prepare for it.

looks like you atrtibuted World peace and cancer to me... those were NOT topics i brought to this thread. note the following response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
I'm a tech at a dealership around the DC area so this is my take: We have a guy who was a retired technician. His job now is to "QC" cars; that is, drive them for quality control. He was out sick two weeks ago, so because work was slow, I had filled in for him. It is very common to drive vehicles for 15-20 miles for this quality control purpose. In our area, its mostly highway. So I drove about 10 miles out and then the 10 miles back to the dealership. I can assure you this is common practice, and not once have I heard about "joy rides". I can only speak for my dealership personally though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
This is a car forum full of self-proclaimed BMW addicts. This is the exact kind of discussion one would expect here. .
Apparently I don't qualify as a self proclaimed BMW addict? Well that's a damn shame.. i have No idea why I have a lifetime membership to BMW CCA, then.

Thanks to Downeaster for his post... looks like conspiracy theorists should look elsewhere. As I stated previously.. there ARE much more pressing things to be concerned about than this... whether those topics are car related or otherwise.

Clearly one person's " Joy ride" is another person's perfectly normal " QC drive."

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 11-26-2013 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #36
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can only speak for my dealership personally though.
Thank you for clarifying about QC rides and also ^^^ that says it all.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #37
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
We did have one guy that was a dedicated quality control test driver, but a few of us had followed him on more than one occasion, and it wasn't exactly being gentle with the cars...needless to say, he is no longer employed with us.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #38
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We did have one guy that was a dedicated quality control test driver, but a few of us had followed him on more than one occasion, and it wasn't exactly being gentle with the cars...needless to say, he is no longer employed with us.
lol, exactly, thanks for being honest.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #39
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Apparently I don't qualify as a self proclaimed BMW addict? Well that's a damn shame.. i have No idea why I have a lifetime membership to BMW CCA, then.

Thanks to Downeaster for his post... looks like conspiracy theorists should look elsewhere. As I stated previously.. there ARE much more pressing things to be concerned about than this... whether those topics are car related or otherwise.

Clearly one person's " Joy ride" is another person's perfectly normal " QC drive."
You might want to read Downeaster's latest post.

You call us conspiracy theorists, I call you naive. But then again, as long as you have a warranty, you don't mind someone thrashing your M, right? So more power to you!
      12-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #40
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Years ago I brought an Mcoupe in to the dealership to fix an air vent that was cracked. They 'test drove' my car to the tune of something like $4500 in suspension damages, several thousand in depreciated value (I filed a claim), over a month without my car then 6 months later the whole rear parcel shelf cracked and I had to claim w/insurance but was 99.9% caused by dealer's collision. That fix was another $3500 and 3 weeks without car.

Obviously not the norm but it can happen. See my recommendation for dealing with service and test drives above.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #41
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

I'm done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider
Quote:

You might want to read Downeaster's latest post.

You call us conspiracy theorists, I call you naive. But then again, as long as you have a warranty, you don't mind someone thrashing your M, right? So more power to you!
Already read it. And no I'm not worried about anyone " thrashing" my engine which is fully covered under warranty. I would be more concerned with a car out of warranty. Let's assume the driver BLOWS UP THE MOTOR. It's still under warranty. BMW can put a " remanufactured" new motor in for probably around 18K while I drive their loaner, the employee gets fired and I'll be on my way.

I mean really.... Not that big a deal.
What is a driver crashed it on a test drive ? That would be a greater concern. Just make sure to tell them at the dealership not to take your car anywhere while it's in their care. *shrug* Activate your LoJack... Or maybe hide under your desk in fear while it's there. All i'm saying is that *I've* got a lot more to do with my time than to go into into a tizzy worrying that the dealer is going to damage my car.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 12-03-2013 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #42
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Already read it. And no I'm not worried about anyone " thrashing" my engine which is fully covered under warranty. I would be more concerned with a car out of warranty. Let's assume the driver BLOWS UP THE MOTOR. It's still under warranty. BMW can put a " remanufactured" new motor in for probably around 18K while I drive their loaner, the employee gets fired and I'll be on my way.

As if it would ever be that easy.

You take your remanufactured motor, i'll keep my original, thanks!
      12-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #43
RPChan
BMW for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e93 M3 HT

Garage List
I don't take my kids to just any doctor and I don't let my car be serviced by just any mechanic at the dealership. I asked the service writers individually who is the best master tech the dealership has. (There are four service writers at the dealership i frequent. I have all of their cell phone numbers and we call each other by first names.) I then went to speak to the two mechanics recommended individually. From then on I only allow my cars to be serviced by the one mechanic I selected. ( I call him on his cell to make sure he is available before i bring my car in). I tip the service writers handsomely at Christmas time each year as well as the mechanic. I also take the Service Manager to lunch once a quarter. As a result they treat my cars like they were their own. This "dealer insurance" might cost me an extra $500 per year and it is well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #44
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
What if a driver crashed it on a test drive ? That would be a greater concern.
Reminds me of the M5 test drive crash in TX a few years ago. Epic thread: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...16-months.html
Appreciate 0