BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #23
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfindigital View Post
Are brakes really an issue on the 1 series? They are huge and 6 piston I think, cant imaging you need much more brake than that. Pads, fluid and SS lines I could see, I don't imagine we need much bigger brakes though.
With consistent track usage, they have a tendency to break pistons. The 6-piston is more show than go, and a lot of guys "upgrade" to larger 335i brakes, despite having less pistons (and not looking as cool.). It's a direct swap, so relatively affordable.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #24
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
With consistent track usage, they have a tendency to break pistons. The 6-piston is more show than go, and a lot of guys "upgrade" to larger 335i brakes, despite having less pistons (and not looking as cool.). It's a direct swap, so relatively affordable.
Any info on how they break pistons? I'd assume that's heat related? I'd think fluid and lines could help control temps. I saw that we can swap in non-ceramic pistons from stoptech for about 500, I'd think that would be a great option.
      01-15-2019, 06:19 PM   #25
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfindigital View Post
Any info on how they break pistons? I'd assume that's heat related? I'd think fluid and lines could help control temps. I saw that we can swap in non-ceramic pistons from stoptech for about 500, I'd think that would be a great option.
Yeah, it's heat, but it's still a problem with fluid. I've actually read that steel lines don't make much difference on this car, so I wasn't going to do them, fwiw.

The 335i brakes are bigger, so they stop better (despite only being single piston,) and they're apparently also better at heat dissipation and rarely have issues on track, from what I've read. To keep up with an M2/M2C, that's the way to go, unless you want to shell out for a Big Brake Kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:14 PM   #26
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
I think it's really telling that in the same year(s) as the 135i had 6-pot calipers, the M3 had front breaks that used exactly one piston (each).

The M-sport 6-pot brakes are fantastic for street use, and are coveted by subaru and 3-series owners alike, because obviously 6 pistons is better than 4 or 2.... but when it comes to the track; it's the size of the disk that matters most.

Conversely, if you're building a street car, there's often precisely zero benefit (other than cosmetic) in upgrading to a $6,000+ big brake kit (with wonderful slotted and drilled disks that are far more prone to cracking), since they perform the same or worse on your first stop compared with OEM, but allow track-racers to take the second lap as fast as the first due to the absence of brake fade.
Appreciate 1
duder13767.00
      01-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #27
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
I think it's really telling that in the same year(s) as the 135i had 6-pot calipers, the M3 had front breaks that used exactly one piston (each).

The M-sport 6-pot brakes are fantastic for street use, and are coveted by subaru and 3-series owners alike, because obviously 6 pistons is better than 4 or 2.... but when it comes to the track; it's the size of the disk that matters most.

Conversely, if you're building a street car, there's often precisely zero benefit (other than cosmetic) in upgrading to a $6,000+ big brake kit (with wonderful slotted and drilled disks that are far more prone to cracking), since they perform the same or worse on your first stop compared with OEM, but allow track-racers to take the second lap as fast as the first due to the absence of brake fade.
Exactly. I should have specified that I was talking about track usage vs. and M2. Stock brakes are fine on street.
Appreciate 1
xQx902.50