BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-10-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
Etansinsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Melbourne E90

LCI Headlight help

Ok so I have a 2012 135i with LCI xenon headlights. About a month ago the drivers side headlight started to flicker most notably when I started the car up.

About a week ago the headlight flickered and completely went off giving me the low beam malfunction warning light. I proactively purchased a philips replacement d1s bulb and proceeded to replace the bulb.

Upon replacement the bulb still did not work. Thinking it was possibly defective I put the working passenger bulb into the non working drivers side. No luck.

Next I purchased a new ballast from amazon for 60$. Thinking that was certain to be the problem, I removed the bumper and replaced the ballast. Much to my surprise the low beam still did not illuminate. I thought maybe the cheap ballast wasn’t working so I removed the ballast from the working headlight and put it into the drivers side Non working headlight. Still no luck.

I plugged the working headlight into the non working side and it illuminated leading me to dig further into the headlight for the source.

I swapped the modules on the bottom where the ballast plugs in and still no luck so I’m here now asking for help from anyone who might have any idea as the complete replacement headlight units are extremely costly.

I did try to locate a ground in the headlight but have gotten confused.

EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE HEADLIGHT WORKS. Self aiming, angel eyes, led eyebrow etc. Only the low beam does not work
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Could be your FRM module gone bad. If so, BMW just extended the warranty to cover replacement of the FRM.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #3
Etansinsta
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Could be your FRM module gone bad. If so, BMW just extended the warranty to cover replacement of the FRM.
Whereabouts is the frm module? I wonder if it was one of the things I tried to replace.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I think it's under the dash above the left foot dead pedal.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:30 AM   #5
Etansinsta
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I think it's under the dash above the left foot dead pedal.
I looked it up after. Unfortunately the problem is within the headlight as the left side headlight works fine on the drivers side.
Appreciate 0