BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
128ibro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible

I Need Help Replacing Oil Pan Gasket!

I have E88 128i noticed my oil pan leaking. Soon will be time to do oil change, but I need help replacing the gasket.

I know dropping the subframe and working with jack stands not the easiest thing.

Any enthusiast with knowledge how to do it interested in doing this fix!!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #2
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Get the engine brace from harbor freight, it's like $60 after you use the 20% coupon (which you can find on Google). While you're there, buy the 1/4" torque wrench. The torque spec for the pan bolts is like 8N•m + 90° if I remember right - don't just wing it, follow the spec.

After you rig it up, it's super straight forward. Just follow the DIY from E90Post. Make sure you order the correct oil pan bolt set for manual/automatic(do not try to do this with reusing bolts, you'll just give yourself a headache).

Also would recommend new motor mounts "while you're in there". You can use the $50 OEM Corteco brand ones.

It's a lengthy job that requires lots of tools, but I would not consider it very difficult (I had A MUCH harder time with the valve cover and AA headers)
Appreciate 2
low1352210.50
      07-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
128ibro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Get the engine brace from harbor freight, it's like $60 after you use the 20% coupon (which you can find on Google). While you're there, buy the 1/4" torque wrench. The torque spec for the pan bolts is like 8N•m + 90° if I remember right - don't just wing it, follow the spec.

After you rig it up, it's super straight forward. Just follow the DIY from E90Post. Make sure you order the correct oil pan bolt set for manual/automatic(do not try to do this with reusing bolts, you'll just give yourself a headache).

Also would recommend new motor mounts "while you're in there". You can use the $50 OEM Corteco brand ones.

It's a lengthy job that requires lots of tools, but I would not consider it very difficult (I had A MUCH harder time with the valve cover and AA headers)

Thanks for the recommendation. I realized that the bolts made of aluminum very light weight and break fast if over tightened.

Have you had any problems while doing this job?

Can you please send links for DIY's on how to do the oil pan gasket and engine mounts?since you did them already you can tell which DIY the most helpful.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 08:48 PM   #4
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 128ibro View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I realized that the bolts made of aluminum very light weight and break fast if over tightened.

Have you had any problems while doing this job?

Can you please send links for DIY's on how to do the oil pan gasket and engine mounts?since you did them already you can tell which DIY the most helpful.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1180020

This is the DIY I used

Only problem was a bolt snapped - fix it by just getting the 1/4" torque wrench lol
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Are you SURE the oil pan is leaking?

What is way more common is the oil filter housing(OFH) gasket to leak oil down the block onto your oil pan gasket. You won't see any oil on your garage floor... bc the belly pan hides(contains) fluid leaks quite well.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 09:21 PM   #6
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

What is way more common is the oil filter housing(OFH) gasket to leak oil down the block onto your oil pan gasket. You won't see any oil on your garage floor... bc the belly pan hides(contains) fluid leaks quite well.

Dack
Funny, my dealership misdiagnosed my oil pan gasket leak for this exact reason They thought it was the OFHG but I had already replaced it. My indy mechanic showed me wet oil coming out of the worn gasket area in the pan and that the OFHG was dry as a bone.

What other "while you are" things should OP and I address besides motor mounts? Don't want to have to drop this subframe again. I'm at 125K miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 11:38 PM   #7
128ibro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Dack
I already did the OFHG. Easiest thing I've done on this car, but bit of challenge to get the bolt under the manifold without removing the manifold.

I can see that it is the oil pan and hopefully not the head gasket.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      07-10-2018, 11:42 PM   #8
128ibro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1180020

This is the DIY I used

Only problem was a bolt snapped - fix it by just getting the 1/4" torque wrench lol
Haha, been through the same thing I tried to tighten the bolts to see if it'll stop the leak and one of them snapped; removed it with picker and flat head.

Replaced it with steel bolt same size I found in my tool box.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Funny, my dealership misdiagnosed my oil pan gasket leak for this exact reason They thought it was the OFHG but I had already replaced it. My indy mechanic showed me wet oil coming out of the worn gasket area in the pan and that the OFHG was dry as a bone.

What other "while you are" things should OP and I address besides motor mounts? Don't want to have to drop this subframe again. I'm at 125K miles.
Maybe motor mounts ? I really can't think of anything else.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #10
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe motor mounts ? I really can't think of anything else.
Thats not a bad thing. My air conditioning is acting up and only blows very cold on the passenger side vents. I'll put the money into figuring that problem out instead of while I'm there stuff with the oil pan gasket.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #11
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Quote:
Thats not a bad thing. My air conditioning is acting up and only blows very cold on the passenger side vents. I'll put the money into figuring that problem out instead of while I'm there stuff with the oil pan gasket.
Mine was doing this. I got my AC recharged and it blows ice cold on both sides. Worth it just to recharge for the summer and see next year if anything needs to be replaced. I only paid $40 since "I know a guy".
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #12
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havocsteve View Post
Quote:
Mine was doing this. I got my AC recharged and it blows ice cold on both sides. Worth it just to recharge for the summer and see next year if anything needs to be replaced. I only paid $40 since "I know a guy".
Yes now that you mention it I do remember that was a symptom that went away after a recharge. After the recharge I concluded the system is designed that if it only has so much refrigerant left it only directs the most cooled air through the passenger side vents.

Last recharge was two years ago almost to the date per my records. Also included dye in the freon so will try and pinpoint the source of the leak this visit.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 08:23 PM   #13
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

I had mine done last year, still ice cold to this day. The passenger side was cold/cool but drivers was only heat. Recharged it as a "see if it leaks" then ill continue with further repairs. Guess I got lucky, although a AC recharge every two years is still cheaper then replacing ac parts over the cost of 20 years (10 refills per 2 year).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 12:59 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like one of your blend doors is broken. I would also remove your pollen filter and check for any debris down in the HVAC intake fan area. I don't see how recharging your AC would fix a bad blend door. I think you could also check for faults via a scan tool, checking the AC module.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 12:20 AM   #15
128ibro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like one of your blend doors is broken. I would also remove your pollen filter and check for any debris down in the HVAC intake fan area. I don't see how recharging your AC would fix a bad blend door. I think you could also check for faults via a scan tool, checking the AC module.

Dack

Dack the forum full of 1 series owners who had the same problem. Some got it fixed by refilling and others had to replace the evaporator. BMW changed their evaporator part, but I'm not sure after what model.

Mine got fixed after refilling with freon.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 06:53 AM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Dack the forum full of 1 series owners who had the same problem. Some got it fixed by refilling and others had to replace the evaporator. BMW changed their evaporator part, but I'm not sure after what model.

IDK... I don't see "half" the evaporator working and the "other half" not.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #17
08135IFL
Private
Rep
Drives: N54 135i Coupe

I recharged mine, worked for a week. Added dye and an evaporator leak was obvious on a lift with the dye dripping out.

If you try refilling it first, add the dye and you may save having to do it twice.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      07-18-2018, 01:16 PM   #18
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Quote:

IDK... I don't see "half" the evaporator working and the "other half" not.

Dack
That is the first sign of being low on refrigerant on pretty much any car.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50